Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Metal makes me happy

Ahhh...the bare metal livery....such a mystic look to produce....much time and effort goes into the "metal" look...painting on 2 separate paint channels, so in essence requiring the effort of at least 2 paints for one livery.  

But when you get it dialed in.....man does it make you want to stare at it! 🙂  (This is not dialed in yet....just the 1st look of my metal textures on our beloved Queen).   Much work to do, but when its done (with heaped on servings of dirt and grime as we're used to seeing on our old freighters), its one I hope you'll guys will want to take to obscure corners of the world. 😉

nyZFSH.jpg

oOMAZj.jpg

Just had to post this glam shot with her in fight over a rather famous landmark. 🙂   Who wouldn't love this plane?
dGrqvC.jpg

Since Flying Tigers (FT) had so many variations of this livery, I plan on a few, including the one with Circle T on the tail (like I did on the 777F), in addition to maybe a few variations in the FT text (some block letters, some slanted stencil, etc).

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

7 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Love it.  Now GIMME!

I'd give you the metal textures so you could play with them....but you'd try to use it with your inferior paint program and just get frustrated trying to tweak the metal and alpha layers.  Best if you wait until I get it done with my superior paint program. 😉

Besides, don't you have an LCF to fly? (Or I think you already did, hehe)

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

I'd give you the metal textures so you could play with them....but you'd try to use it with your inferior paint program and just get frustrated trying to tweak the metal and alpha layers.  Best if you wait until I get it done with my superior paint program. 😉

Besides, don't you have an LCF to fly? (Or I think you already did, hehe)

I did fly it. And just like everytime I do it screws my sinuses up and I feel like dog c#*&!  

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I have an enduring memory of driving under the then Runway 16 underpass at YSSY some time in the mid '80's, just as a Tigers classic was rotating on take off. In the days before air con was standard in cars - with the window open you could hear every noise it was putting out. Don't know why it remains such a vivid memory, but what a sight it was.

Beautiful paint job.

Edited by DavidP

David Porrett

2 hours ago, Tim-HH said:

your repaints never fail to stun me! And this one is no exception. It looks amazing

Thanks Tim!   As a painter with several metal paints under your belt, I know you can relate to the difficulty in painting metal. 🙂

1 hour ago, thibodba57 said:

I did fly it. And just like everytime I do it screws my sinuses up and I feel like dog c#*&!  

So weird that happens....probably all the carbon fiber dust floating around in the cargo hold you've been inhaling from hauling 787 tubes across the country. (could be a real diagnosis....maybe you should look into it?)

58 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I have an enduring memory of driving under the then Runway 16 underpass at YSSY some time in the mid '80's, just as a Tigers classic was rotating on take off. In the days before air con was standard in cars - with the window open you could hear every noise it was putting out. Don't know why it remains such a vivid memory, but what a sight it was.

Beautiful paint job.

Thanks Dave.  I have a very similar memory, it was at night though and on one of the expressways near JFK in the US.  An 747 flew over (a TWA Twin Globe), and all I could really make out was the tail (had the logo light on), and the white nav lights on the elevator ends as she flew off over Jamaica Bay.  I was too young to be the driver, so you know I was craning my head out the window to catch every glimpse of her I could. hehe.

Here is a little detail work...thanks to Felix who requested this paint and supplied some of the reference pics.  I may release a factory fresh and well-flown version....metal looks so good when its 1st out of the shop! 🙂

LBjcI7.jpg

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

24 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

So weird that happens....probably all the carbon fiber dust floating around in the cargo hold you've been inhaling from hauling 787 tubes across the country. (could be a real diagnosis....maybe you should look into it?)

The cargo area is actually unpressurized and completely separate from the pressure vessel we sit in, so nothing would get in.  Even then those fuselages are wrapped tight.  Word is the filters they use for the packs are different and it doesn't help the packs are in high flow for the duration.  I'm not the only one that has this problem flying them.  Yet another reason to not like flying that thing.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Beautiful paint job! Can't wait to see the final product!

Jon Richardson

Raleigh, NC

...always superb paint jobs...thanks Steve!

Edmundo Azevedo

Steve, that livery looks great. Looking forward to installing the finished version. 

ki9cAAb.jpg

mmmmm shiny :)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg