Sign in to follow this  
donkey20048

EFB on 747-8F question

hi guys

absolutely loving this beauty. Quick question i am probably being dumb on but want clarification on. I know when you add / deactivate or change scenery you need to rescan the efb database. Do you also need to rescan with the airac updates?

only reason im asking is because my FMC shows rwy 12 at EGPK but the EFB when use data from FMC has rwy 13 ?  not a big deal but wanted to clarify why there would be a difference

thanks

Stewart Cumbers

I don't think that would solve anything since the AFCAD in the scenery wouldn't change from an AIRAC update. If the runway designation changed, as it can from time to time, the scenery itself would need to be updated.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Kevin is correct, where the FMC only uses navdata the EFB only uses scenery data (as well as reading aircraft FMS and weights).  The scenery might be old and when runway numbers change the EFB cannot select a new runway number but must use what the scenery gives it. 

Dan Downs KCRP

36 minutes ago, KevinMM said:

The EFB reads  Navigraph. The ND (Airports map) reads scenery.

What is your source?

Dan Downs KCRP

31 minutes ago, KevinMM said:

Why then do you need to Navigraph to use the EFB?

What Stewart said.  If you never log into Navigraph you will still have all EFB functions except Terminal Charts.

Take for example FSDT KORD, which has out of date runways.  The FMS that uses navdata will have as choices 28L/R/C but when you copy FMC data to the EFB the runway choice is unselected and you only have the 28 available, based on the scenery.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

What Stewart said.  If you never log into Navigraph you will still have all EFB functions except Terminal Charts.

Take for example FSDT KORD, which has out of date runways.  The FMS that uses navdata will have as choices 28L/R/C but when you copy FMC data to the EFB the runway choice is unselected and you only have the 28 available, based on the scenery. 

It would be wonderful if there was an easy way to get these two sources of runway information to always agree - or scenery makers like FSDT keeping their products up to date.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:09 PM, donkey20048 said:

only reason im asking is because my FMC shows rwy 12 at EGPK but the EFB when use data from FMC has rwy 13 ?  not a big deal but wanted to clarify why there would be a difference

Existing runway designations usually change because of changes to the magnetic variation at the airfield as the earth's magnetic poles wander over time.  As for the main runway designation at Prestwick it has been 13/31 for many years.

4 hours ago, berts said:

It would be wonderful if there was an easy way to get these two sources of runway information to always agree - or scenery makers like FSDT keeping their products up to date.

They are working on a new KORD scenery, that much I can tell you. Other than that, there's really no easy way to keep up when all these airports are constantly doing construction.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:03 AM, Captain Kevin said:

They are working on a new KORD scenery, that much I can tell you

I look forward to it.  O'Hare is a very interesting and busy airport to fly in and out of; especially when the weather is on limits!