Sign in to follow this  
johnliem

How to popup the EFB with key combi

Hello

I just bought this 747-8 this week and I did search in the manual and this forum but could not find the answer, to popup the EFB I click on the the top of the EFB screen, my question is , is it possible to popup the EFB by using key combi?

like shift+ 4 to popup or to toggle the FMC, thanks

Win11 Pro 64 Bit, Intel® Core i9-10900K 5.3 GHz, NVIDIA  RTX 3090, DDR4 4200 128GB, P3D V5

John Liem

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

yes it is... But you will have to edit the panel.cfg and please note that PMDG does NOT recommend doing that and you'll likely loose support regarding that file. Whatever you do, first make a backup of your original file.

There are two ways you can do that. the first is the easier method but might end up in strange sizes of the pop-up. 

1.: You can interchange any not needed pop-up with the EFB. 

Open the 747-8 panel.cfg (in the simobject folder). in the [window Titels] section you see the EFBs at number 16 and 17. switch the window number with any window you don't need. for example window16=MCP and window04=Left EFB. 

then go down to the window sections and change 04 to 16 and 16 to 04 (or whatever panel you chose.)

You can now use the Shift 5 (or whatever) to pop up the EFB. 

2.: you can assign a new keystroke, but this is pretty complicated. 

you can work after this tutorial but it's quite a bit of work.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288953-How-to-access-more-than-8-instrument-panels-using-the-keyboard

When you're done you should do a backup again of your new file so you just have to copy the sections into the panel.cfg after an update. Don't copy and paste the whole panel.cfg as you don't know if PMDG have done any changes too and you'd reset them.

If anyone knows better solutions, eg with FSUIPC, I'd be happy to know about them too.

Thanks for you reply Ephedrin, it seems pretty complicated indeed, the reason I am asking because I want to assign it to a button via FSUIPC, after reading your explanation, not sure if I can do that. but again thanks for your reply.

I hope PMDG team read this and adding the key combi for EFB 😉

Edited by johnliem
forgot to mention

Win11 Pro 64 Bit, Intel® Core i9-10900K 5.3 GHz, NVIDIA  RTX 3090, DDR4 4200 128GB, P3D V5

John Liem

With paid version of FSUIPC go to button+switches tab select create a mouse macro give it a name like EFB PMDG, close fsuipc click to pop up EFB.

A small window will ask you to give it a name then press enter.

Re open FSuipc close end maouse macro, check profile specific then push the joy button or key combo at your choice and check fscontrol on the dropdown you will see your macro then close FSUIPC.

Done

Edited by simbio
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johnliem said:

Thanks for you reply Ephedrin, it seems pretty complicated indeed, the reason I am asking because I want to assign it to a button via FSUIPC, after reading your explanation, not sure if I can do that. but again thanks for your reply.

I hope PMDG team read this and adding the key combi for EFB 😉

Page 71 of the introduction manual. There is a click spot for the EFB. No shift+X key as simple there are not enough available for that function.

• Like 1

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

1 hour ago, simbio said:

With paid version of FSUIPC go to button+switches tab select create a mouse macro give it a name like EFB PMDG, close fsuipc click to pop up EFB.

Re open FSuipc close end maouse macro, check profile specific then push the joy button or key combo at your choice and check fscontrol on the dropdown you will see your macro then close FSUIPC.

Done

Thanks Simbio for the info, I will try as I have paid version of FSUIPC. 

John Liem

1 hour ago, simbio said:

Done

Wow thanks a lot... I absolutely haven‘t thought about a macro. Top, thanks!

49 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

Page 71 of the introduction manual. There is a click spot for the EFB. No shift+X key as simple there are not enough available for that function.

Depends on what is important for you. I personally couldn‘t care less about shift+x to oped the PFD 😄 but the EFB is quite important to me. But yes, right click on the clickspot does it too

it works thanks.

John Liem

7 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

As Chris says, right clicking on the click spot is the best and simplest way to bring up the EFB and it can then be easily moved and re-sized to suit (for example if you are using triple screens).  Just don't 'undock' the pop-up EFB window if you do reposition it in the VC, especially if you intend using it with Navigraph's Terminal Charts.  I have found it makes moving an enlarged chart about in the EFB very difficult to control because the EFB itself will usually move instead. 

Incidentally, the other advantage of using PMDG's built in click spot (over FSUIPC) is that a left click of it will bring up the radio panel, so you get two pop-up functions for the price of one!

Try using Shift + (1-9). I forgot the key combo but you can pull up a popup without any mod.

Safe & smooth flying,

Clarke Ramsey

12 hours ago, Stratox said:

Try using Shift + (1-9). I forgot the key combo but you can pull up a popup without any mod.

Yes, that only works for the first 9 windows. It's not entirely useful when you have 17 pop-up windows, and the left EFB is under window 16.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

On 11/9/2018 at 11:41 PM, berts said:

because the EFB itself will usually move instead. 

right click on the undocked EFB and "lock" it. It caught me too 😄