Sign in to follow this  
jfwharton

Which folder to backup flight plans?

A while ago I had a problem with Windows 10 (go figure) and ended up having to reinstall it.  I reinstalled both of my flight simulators, FSX SE and XP11 along with the F1 GTN 750/650 and Reality XP GTN 750/650.  Searching the web I found the location of the Flight Plan files for the F1 GTN and copied them from my windows.old programdata\garmin folder.  I am now looking for the location where the Reality XP GTN 750/650 saves it's flight plans so I can restore them.  I have been searching quite a while and have not found that folder location.  My goal it so add the folder(s) to my backup scheme so I can restore all of the flight plans instead of having to enter them manually all over again.  The folder I have added to backup my F1 GTN flight plans is c:\programdata\garmin.  I am running the steam version of FSX and XP11.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hi,

Please review the RXP GTN User's Manual. It details both the path and a 'shortcut' method to allow you using any path you want for the flight plan files!

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you but that doesn't answer my question.  What is the default path where the flight plans are saved if I do not create a specific folder?  But I will review that and see if I can create a folder and then create a flight plan and see if it saves it there.  I just don't understand why it has been made so difficult when it should be simple.  It should automatically create a folder in the my documents area.

Edited by jfwharton

The User's Manual answers your question which is: "I am now looking for the location where the Reality XP GTN 750/650 saves it's flight plans so I can restore them"

Just to be a little more precise: the folder in question is the one where you can copy .gfp files which you'll be able to import directly in the GTN using the in-device flight plan import function.

The folder is not automatically created, because as the user of the device, we let you keep the control of where and when you want to manage your files. In other words, should you want to import flight plan files, just create a folder and copy your fplans files into it. Should you want to 'relocate' the folder anywhere on your drive, follow the 'shortcut' method explained in the User's Manual.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thank you.  I just followed the instructions and created a shortcut called FPLN which opens the GTN Flight Plan folder in my documents.  By the way.  The instructions for creating the shortcut do not work in windows to.  It should say after creating the shortcut, right click on the shortcut select properties and then paste in the path to the folder you created, or something like that.  After naming the shortcut there is no browse, just finish.

The probblem I have been having as well is there in no Import button in either the GTN 750 or the trainer.  Been trying to figure out how to fix that one.

Edited by jfwharton

Thank you for the info on the manual. Actually, I've just realized the name and browse steps are swapped (it should be browse then name), as shown here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/93296-create-shortcut-app-file-folder-drive-website-windows-10-a.html#option3

By the way, you can see on the above linked page there are so many ways to create a shortcut!

Now, if the import button do not shows up, it means the trainer didn't detect it properly. Are you sure the FPLN folder is created where it should (for the RXP GTN the path is different than the one you are mentioning in your first message).

No I guess I am not sure where the FPLN folder is supposed to be created.  In the Reality XP GTN User's manual it says to create "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN" and I did.  That is not correct? And in that folder I have:

KCOS_KSLC.gfp
KDEN_KEGE.gfp
KDEN_KPHX.gfp
user.wpt

Also I have the F1 GTN 750/650 installed and that has an import button.

Edited by jfwharton

NB: this path is when using the GTN Trainer v6.50. See the footnotes p9 for older trainers.

I am using the 6.5 trainer.  Just reinstalled it.  Now I have the flight plans in the XP GTN 750 that I had in the FSX GTN 750 and no flight plans in the FSX GTN 750.  I still have no import button in XP where I have one in FSX.

I was able to reimport flight plans back into the F1 GTN 750.  The path for those flight plans to be imported by the way is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\F1GTN\FPL. The F1 GTN 750 is using the trainer version 6.21.0 and GPS version F1 2.05.  The Reality XP is using GTN trainer 6.50.0 and GTN 2.5.7.0.

Edited by jfwharton

So I just tried uninstalling both versions of the GTN trainer 6,21 and 6.50.  I tried installing 6.21 to folders C:\ProgramData\GarminFSX and C:\Program Files (x86)\GarminFSX and 6.50 to C:\ProgramData\Garmin and C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin.  Then I verified the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\F1GTN\FPL which the F1 GTN uses to import flight plans.  Now the F1 GTN for FSX can import flight plans.  But I still do not have an import button for the Reality XP GTN for XP11.  I have created a folder C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN and placed several gfp files but still no import button.

Edited by jfwharton

Yahoo!  I went into the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\FPLN and deleted a pdf file and a user.wpt file and now I have an import button.  Yeah!

So I have one question?  Did I need to install 6.21 and 6.50 into two different folders as I described above?  Or could I have installed both into the same path C:\ProgramData\Garmin and C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin?

They both default install to different folders and can be kept side-by-side!

Edited by RXP

@Maestaru Hi, this information is detailed p13 of the RXP GTN User's Manual.

I concede the following discussion is not in the 'GTN X-Plane' forum, nevertheless, it is a pinned topic in the FltSim forum which shall appear in a search:

Have you actually open and read the aforementioned linked discussion?

If you don't want to read it all, you may try to at least start reading it right after 'to sum up', which, well, sums it up.

Otherwise, you can use the forum search. I've just did:

Sorting this out on your own implies reading the material I've linked you to, and reading such material I've linked you to would automatically have answered your question in the first place...

To better answer your question: yes you can.