Sign in to follow this  
Lessi

New PC for P3Dv4, but which GPU??

Hey volks,

I need a new PC for Prepar3Dv4 and I'm not quite sure what's the best option. My maximum is 1100€ and I've already done some research and came to a system, but I wanna know your opinion..

My current idea is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200
Board: MSI B450M Pro-VDH
I don't know exactly which GPU is the best to go with P3D. Does it (still) make a difference wether to choose AMD or Intel on v4 linke in FSX??
GPU: an AMD Sapphire Vega 56 8GB OR a GTX 1070 Ti OR a RX 580 8GB
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W
Housing: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVME 500GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Do you think this is a good idea for P3D or should I change to a complete different system?? And what GPU should I choose (total max. for system is 1100€)??

Hope you can help me with that,

Lessi

Hi Lessi,

For P3D - I'd suggest you steer clear of AMD altogether - Intel and Nvidia perform far better at whatever level you choose...

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

There is a whole forum devoted to video cards here -- see https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/327-monitors-multi-monitors-video-cards-drivers/

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I'd suggest 1070. Big bang for the bucks and it's nvidia so you won't get the hassle of a AMD card. 

6 hours ago, Lessi said:

Hey volks,

I need a new PC for Prepar3Dv4 and I'm not quite sure what's the best option. My maximum is 1100€ and I've already done some research and came to a system, but I wanna know your opinion..

My current idea is:

I don't know exactly which GPU is the best to go with P3D. Does it (still) make a difference wether to choose AMD or Intel on v4 linke in FSX??

Do you think this is a good idea for P3D or should I change to a complete different system?? And what GPU should I choose (total max. for system is 1100€)??

Lessi

Don't bother with AMD anything.  I would go with a Intel 6 core with the fastest RAM that is compatible with your cpu/mobo.  Just make sure the cpu u choose has a K at the end of the model number.  The i5-8600K is a good value.  On sale at Newegg right now.  There are alot of good mobo's out there but IMO Asus is the way to go.  G.Skill memory is excellent just remember to get the lowest CAS latency u can.  Hard drives look good but I would upgrade from the blue to a black.  As far as GPU get the best u can afford.  V4 can eat and spit out my 1080ti like nothing with higher graphics settings.  I now have two in SLI.  But a 1070ti would run it nicely.  But I would stay clear of the GTX2000 series.  To expensive for the performance u get.

Edited by mpw8679

Matt Wilson

6 hours ago, Lessi said:

Hey volks,

My current idea is:

Lessi

I agree with the comments about Intel/nVidia as the best choices for a dedicated P3D rig.

Assuming you will overclock your CPU and/or GPU, a 650W PSU is probably not enough.  An overclocked hex core CPU can draw around 200W under load, and the GPU close to the same.  Add motherboard chipset, fans and a spinning HDD, and you're getting peak loads up pretty close to the line.  As a rule of thumb, I stick with name-brand Gold or Platinum rated PSUs and use a 150% minimum design factor (1.5 times expected peak load).  I'd estimate a minimum of an 800W PSU would be my choice here.

Some might say it's overkill, but a PSU failure can wreck any/every component in your build, so here I play it safe--this is no place to skimp.  The price delta between quality and cheap, and from 650 to 800 is probably not a lot anyway.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

My two cents (or words 🙂 ) Intel/nVidia

This is a handy power calculator for determining the PSU you'll need (Bob's recommendation of 150% of power requirement will mean the PSU will last longer with (generally) less trouble during its lifetime): https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator

Good luck,

Greg

Edited by lownslo
speling

If you only intend to use it for P3D chose Intel because of their single core clock is better and P3D still lacks proper multi core support. The AMD excels in multi core applications like many modern games and is far superior in “bang for the buck”.

Obviously nVidia for graphics card, get a GTX1070 or GTX1080 if you can find it. I would steer clear of RTX if on a budget.

have my 9900k for a few days, awesome to have a cpu that you dont need to overclock, smooth as butter

Thanks for all your replies!

I updated the system, but I'm not yet satisfied with that price...

The new system looks like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
Board: ASUS Z370-A Prime
GPU: GTX 1070 Ti
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Gehäuse: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark

It shows 1.679€ (on mindfactory.de), but I planned to invest about 1200€ max (better 1100€ or even 1000€). Which components could I degrade to lower price but keep most of the performance?

Hope you have some suggestions for that,

Lessi

13 hours ago, Lessi said:

Thanks for all your replies!

I updated the system, but I'm not yet satisfied with that price...

The new system looks like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
Board: ASUS Z370-A Prime
GPU: GTX 1070 Ti
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Gehäuse: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark

It shows 1.679€ (on mindfactory.de), but I planned to invest about 1200€ max (better 1100€ or even 1000€). Which components could I degrade to lower price but keep most of the performance?

Hope you have some suggestions for that,

Lessi

You could consolidate the SSD and HDD to something like a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drive (with 64 or 128MB cache) at the expense of longer initial load times.  An SSD will not make your sim perform better.  You can always add an SSD later.

Also, an i5-8600K is essentially the 8700K without hyperthreading, so that'd still give you a good 6-core CPU that overclocks pretty well.

No mention of how much RAM you intend to buy, or what latency it is.  16 GB of RAM with a true latency of 10ns or less is the minimum I'd recommend for P3Dv4.  True latency is 2000 x CAS level divided by frequency in MHz, so for 3200 MHz RAM at CAS level 15, the true latency is 2000x15 / 3200 = 9.375ns.  Lower is better.

A used GTX 980Ti GPU, if you can find one, will do the job nearly as well as the 1070Ti.  There should also be some used 1080s on the market with folks now moving up to the 2080/2080Ti.

Beyond these changes, I don't see much else you can do that will not meaningfully degrade the system's performance in P3D.  An older quad-core i5-7600K or i7-7700K and Z270 motherboard will still work well, but the extra 2 cores in the 8600K/8700K make a difference. 

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hey there,

I downgraded the system a little bit and have only some things, where I'm still not sure..

My latest idea:

CPU: Intel i5-9600K (3.7 GHz, Turbo 4.6 GHz, 6 Cores with 6 Threads)
RAM: G.Skill 16 GB (3000 MHz)
Board: MSI B360M Pro-VDH
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (8 GB)
PSU: be quiet! System Power 9 (600 Watt)
Housing: Sharkoon DG7000-G Blue with Glass Window
SSD: Crucial MX500 (M.2, 250 GB)
HDD: 1000 GB
(+ Assembly, Warranty 24 Months and with Cardreader)
for 1234,00€

Do you think the system is balanced well or is bottlenecked? (especially refering to P3Dv4)

Is there any component you would change without increasing the price that much?

And do you think the price is fair for the system and the service (assembly, etc)? Or should I put the PC together myself? (I do not know if I could do that, because I never did it bevor and I don't have a lot of experience regarding hardware and PCs...)

And another thing is the cooling fan... I do not have no idea what colling fan to choose.. I want to overclock my system to at least 4.3GHz (or even 4.6) but it seems to me like the default CPU colling fan won't do it.. I read several reports, saying that with a default cooler the CPU is likely to get too hot and it's lifetime decreases. I am wondering wether you have got a good advice for me for what cooling fan I should go for.

Would you increase the Wattage of the PSU (bc of ocing) or would you leave it as it is? (Or would you even decrease it? lol)

Is there anything you would change bevor buying?

Would you buy the system (with the modification you suggest in your answer) if you were me? (its quite a big investion for me...)

This shold be one of the final steps to the purchase of my PC,

hope you can help me out,

Lessi

I think your M.2 is too small. I have a 250 Gb SSD as my boot and it is at 70% filled (all my P3D stuff is on a separate 1 Gb SSD and a 3 Gb Hard drive). Apparently performance on a SATA SSD decreased when over 70% used (I don't know about a M.2 drive). Click me to read about that. Considering the cheap pricing now on hard drives, I would increase your hard drive space to 2 Gb or more (especially if you use photoscenery as I do). I am about to purchase a 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD for $129 (Black Friday).

Also, for cooling, you should seriously consider an AIO water cooling system. I use a Deepcool 240 which I am very happy with (and was an editor's choice 2 years ago) and is very reasonably priced.

For PSU sizing, I would use Be Quiet's calculator. Click here to use. My gut feeling is it is too small, mine is a Power and Cooling 850 Gold.

Finally, what resolution will you be running at? 1080P? 4k? That will determine your video card requirements.

Hope this helps.

P.

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Hey again,

thanks for your reply!

I think a 500 GB SSD will work for me.. I could go for the Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA-SSD or for the Samsung 970-EVO M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME SSD (both 500GB). The Samsung one is exactly 50€ above the Crucial, but I know there is a performance atvantage.. Is it worth it? Or should I buy the Crucial?

The calculator of beQuiet says something about 600 Watt or so (I hope I entered the right numbers and I would appreciate if anyone could confirm, that's the case... my config is 2 post above)

I don't know but I'd like to have a cooling fan instead of a water cooling... If anyone could give me a hint which to use when overclocking to up to 4.6 GHz? Would a beQuiet Pure Rock do the job as a cooler of a i5-9600K?

I will definitely choose the GTX1070Ti as my GPU, the topic is outdated..

So thats where I'm stuck:

CPU: Intel i5-9600K (3.7 GHz, Turbo 4.6 GHz, 6 Cores with 6 Threads)

Cooling: please help!!
RAM: G.Skill 16 GB (3000 MHz, 2x8GB Dual Kit)
Board: MSI B360M Pro-VDH
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (8 GB)
PSU: be quiet! System Power 9 (600 Watt) confirm?
Housing: Kolink Horizon RGB black
SSD: Crucial MX500 (SATA SSD, M.2, 500 GB) or Samsung 970-EVO (PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME SSD, M.2, 500 GB)
HDD: 1000 GB

( + Assembly, Warranty 24 Months but without Cardreader this time)

for 1253,90€ or 1303,90€ with the Samsung SSD

Looking forward to any replies especially regarding Cooling, PSU and SSD..

Lessi

Could anyone help me with that please? I need to buy the PC quick...

PSU, SSD and cooling is my problem...

Hope anyone has an idea...

Thaks, Lessi