Sign in to follow this  

Nail in coffin AFS2...?

5 minutes ago, Murmur said:

There's also steamdb with some charts.

https://steamdb.info/app/434030/

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

That is a very narrow minded view.

Not at all. Flight Sim is what it is. You can dream and hope all you want but P3D and X-plain will stay at the top of the heap. Those who pride themselves on running older tech from FSX etc. do nothing to help with the advancement of the hobby. Before you all start screaming, I want to make it clear that it is their right to do so. IMHO the future of Flight Sim does not lie in either the old legacy software nor by a few guys with a dream. All of this is just a lot of noise that pops up from time to time while the real world keeps chugging alone and making real progress.

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

20 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

If you use the same stats, X Plane 11 is still way behind FSX Steam Edition.

X Plane 11 stats

FSX-SE stats

Which doesn't support the often repeated claim that FSX is dead.

Posting on the IPACs forum might elicit an informed answer, rather than more idle speculation.

Edited by nolonger

5 minutes ago, nolonger said:

If you use the same stats, X Plane 11 is still way behind FSX Steam Edition which flies in the face

of the much vaunted "FSX is dead" nonsense and the "X Plane is the favourite" assertion.

X Plane 11 stats

FSX-SE stats

So probably is P3D. FSX peaked and is declining, whereas XP11 is growing. Besides, I have XP but I don’t use the Steam version. The same could be said of FSX, but I think most fans of that platform are using the more optimized version from Dovetail. 

• Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Regarding the steam stats, FSX and X-Plane likely have significantly more than listed on Steam, since they're available outside of that platform. AF2 afaik is only available on Steam, so those stats would seem to hold more weight. Nobody really knows how many P3D users there are, but due to its price and general availability, my guess it's still behind FSX, but ahead of X-Plane.

I hope the iPACs developers don't lose the passion and continue to share their talents with FS community and who knows maybe work on some projects for P3D/XP11 platforms?  I wished the same for DTG FSW devs when they disbanded ... even if the PR side of DTG attempted to "blame" consumers as the source of their problems (that's a road to nowhere).

Cheers, Rob.

2 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Regarding the steam stats, FSX and X-Plane likely have significantly more than listed on Steam, since they're available outside of that platform. AF2 afaik is only available on Steam, so those stats would seem to hold more weight. Nobody really knows how many P3D users there are, but due to it's price and general availability, my guess it's still behind FSX, but ahead of X-Plane.

Aerofly is also sold at various online outlets, as well as by Aerosoft and Amazon. I thought about mentioning that earlier but figured it would just be lost beneath the inertia of the negativity.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just now, HiFlyer said:

Aerofly is also sold at various online outlets, as well as by aerosoft as well as by amazon. I thought about mentioning that earlier but figured it would just be lost beneath the inertia of the negativity.

Nope, that's an important point to make and I hadn't realised this myself :). So then Steam stats might give a general picture, but by no means show the whole picture

3 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Nope, that's an important point to make and I hadn't realised this myself :). So then Steam stats might give a general picture, but by no means show the whole picture

Hence the poem I posted. People are looking at their preferred selected parts of the whole, based on their own preconceptions, and and who knows who is looking at an ear, and who at a leg?

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

30 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Regarding the steam stats, FSX and X-Plane likely have significantly more than listed on Steam, since they're available outside of that platform. AF2 afaik is only available on Steam, so those stats would seem to hold more weight. Nobody really knows how many P3D users there are, but due to its price and general availability, my guess it's still behind FSX, but ahead of X-Plane.

There's a very extensive poll or survey going on (Navigraph, Carenado, etc., are sponsoring it) until Nov. 25 (date from memory). According to the survey, the results will be public by Dec. 17, 2018 and by then we will surely know more about the current market share of those simulators.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

32 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I hope the iPACs developers don't lose the passion and continue to share their talents with FS community and who knows maybe work on some projects for P3D/XP11 platforms?  I wished the same for DTG FSW devs when they disbanded ... even if the PR side of DTG attempted to "blame" consumers as the source of their problems (that's a road to nowhere).

Cheers, Rob.

I think they're so disconnected, that maybe that idea will never cross their minds.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 hours ago, torium said:

Why?

Venema also said:

Er... seriously? Did you actually read JV's quote in the OP? What's the use of posting a quote that's old and clearly not valid anymore? Your quote was posted in July, before the release of TE Netherlands. The quote in the OP shows what he said last week and that completely overrules your quote. Everything you made bold doesn't apply anymore. Like "we are investing all the time to accelerate the development cycle for that sim": that clearly changed into "For that reason we have recently re-focused back to our core P3D platform and expanded into XP11" and "Just don't expect us to be so prolific about it". That's a 180 degree turnaround.

So why come up with that old quote...? If someone changed his mind you won't change it back again by quoting an old remark that 'proves' that he didn't change his mind.

29 minutes ago, J van E said:

Did you actually read JV's quote in the OP?

I know I did. I even saw the part where he said:

Having said all that, I still believe in AFS2 as providing the best VR experience of any sim platform out there, and for this reason we still believe it is worth porting regions and airports to it in the long term. I spent a day in Germany with the IPACS team about six weeks ago and they showed me some pretty exciting stuff to come in the sim, so please don't write it off just yet!

But it was the clear from the thread title that we wouldn't really be considering that part of the statement. Honestly, If I was doing the thread, I would probably have titled it something like "Orbx Speaks On Aerofly Plans" or something similarly mild, but I get what you were going for.

Accordingly, I'm trying to butt out.

I just couldn't resist the poem, though 🙂

• Upvote 1

Devons rig

14 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I know I did. I even saw the part where he said:

But it was the clear from the thread title that we wouldn't really be considering that part of the statement. Honestly, If I was doing the thread, I would probably have titled it something like "Orbx Speaks On Aerofly Plans" or something mild, but I get what you were going for.

Accordingly, I'm trying to butt out.

I just couldn't resist the poem, though 🙂

"The long term" doesn't sound good to me. Whenever a flightsim developer says that bells start ringing. Sounds like Orbx might look at things again when AFS2 is actually becoming a bigger player. Orbx isn't planning to invest too much money in it anymore. I also found it saying a lot that JV said :so please don't write it off just yet!" and not "so please don't write us (Orbx and AFS2) off just yet!" He may have hopes for the sim but he won't be the one making it all happen. While we ALL know we need 3rd party devs to make it all happen.

Edited by Guest