Sign in to follow this  
abranpuko

an idea

It's kind of an interesting idea on the face of it, but it's not really a practical proposition when you begin to think about the actual mechanics of how it would/could be implemented.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I like the idea as an option, but not as the only way to acquire an airport.

There are lots of really good airports out there I will never buy because I would only fly to them once or twice.  I’d certainly rent them for the occasion if the price was right.

Major hubs and airports I use a lot I would continue to purchase.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

2 hours ago, abranpuko said:

As things are never white or black, there is the wonderful option that a person can choose whether to buy an airport or rent it.

Many things in business and life are black and white (sometimes red!).

This concept cannot even be closely be compared to services like Netflix, I urge everyone not to be fooled with this comparison. 

I'm sincerely trying to understand how this could work on a large scale. On a small scale I have no problem understanding an individual like yourself trying this, but I don't see much success. Just with a quick thought; for a company, that barely has enough time and resources as it is, to be able to survive on making and managing rental options for their products. Where is the time if done manually? If its an automated process, that's a whole new set of programming and management that will cost time (possibly very time sensitive!) and money as well, w/o a certain profit.

Won't implementing anything like this make the price of scenery go up for those who prefer to buy?

The other thing that comes to mind is "big brother", it would seem that there will have to be more intrusion.

For those who like this idea, can any one of you suggest a cost effective, fool-proof, successful, or practical way of implementing this (even as an option) for the good of all the community?

It would also be good to hear from some reputable scenery developers about what they think.

Edited by pracines

41 minutes ago, pracines said:

The other thing that comes to mind is "big brother", it would seem that there will have to be more intrusion.

+1

The airports that you rent (hourly)? Are they streamed? What if the providers server crashes midflight. What if after a long flight you reach your destination and there is a graphic issue, elevation, AI traffic, outdated AFCAD gate assignments, etc.

Reminds me of Microsoft Flight. Charging gamers for downloading extra content, scenery. We all know how that turned out.

Edited by BillS511

Certainly seems like an interesting idea to me. That said, they key from the consumer side is that it’s an option, not the only way to get an airport. In other words, I’d absolutely want the option either to buy forever or to rent. A model where my only option was to keep paying again and again I’d view very, very negatively.

James

Subscription = bye bye

Having to pay everytime before I can do what I want to do = bye bye

As an option it might be nice though. But I absolutely don't see this happen.

I don't think abranpuko was saying he had the mechanics and business model worked out but was only putting forth an idea. You know, like Edison  , Bell and the Wright Brothers had an idea. "They'll never get that thing off the ground."

The customer would simply be given the option to rent for say a day or buy the product if he so chooses. Or he/she could simply use default airports if so desired. Much the same technology that allows some developers to offer time limited trial periods. No one could make anything mandatory.  It would be completely up to any developer if they wanted to offer their product through this or any other venue. Purchase prices might go down if developers were seeing decent return on their product from rental or at least encourage further development. Maybe not. If you don't want to spend you can start your sim and fly free as a bird to any default airport in your sim as I often do to places over seas I fly to knowing it will be a while before I fly that route again. Or to an addon you already own.

Yes. it would be started with out a certain profit, like every other business venture since the dawn of man.

In reference to the Big Brother he's already there so what more intrusion would you be worried about. 

Good idea abranpuko. Keep thinking man. Every improvement begins with an idea.

Edited by PATCO LCH
  • Like 1

Vic green

The idea would be invented and thought to work, not for there to be problems. (That's my philosophy of life)

If I start thinking about the aspects against, things will probably stay as they are.

This idea arises to think that many times we will not travel more than once to a certain airport.

Someone has said to rent them in a ridiculous idea ... but, buy them not?

What do I do with "mikonos airport" all my life?
Or charles de gaulle?

It depends on my tastes, my needs.

So it can be an "option" and not the only way.

Invented example:
- Buy Tenerife Airport: (for example, 35.5 euros.)
-buy barcelona airport: (for example) 45.5. euros

options:
-to rent tenerife airpot + barcelona: 2 euros.
(idea: when renting them, you have them for a whole day)

otherwise, the developers have to think about how they are very well designed and studied so as not to fail in the servers. But currently, the simulators, cards, air traffic, and airports sold, often fail in presentation, mesh, details, etc, etc ...

anyway. it's just an idea although maybe ... something else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

I don't think abranpuko was saying he had the mechanics and business model worked out but was only putting forth an idea. You know, like Edison  , Bell and the Wright Brothers had an idea. "They'll never get that thing off the ground."

The customer would simply be given the option to rent for say a day or buy the product if he so chooses. Or he/she could simply use default airports if so desired. Much the same technology that allows some developers to offer time limited trial periods. No one could make anything mandatory.  It would be completely up to any developer if they wanted to offer their product through this or any other venue. Purchase prices might go down if developers were seeing decent return on their product from rental or at least encourage further development. Maybe not. If you don't want to spend you can start your sim and fly free as a bird to any default airport in your sim as I often do to places over seas I fly to knowing it will be a while before I fly that route again. Or to an addon you already own.

Yes. it would be started with out a certain profit, like every other business venture since the dawn of man.

In reference to the Big Brother he's already there so what more intrusion would you be worried about. 

Good idea abranpuko. Keep thinking man. Every improvement begins with an idea.

thank you very much!!! i Will continue thinking about that and more. 

for example, the guy who invented PSXseecon traffic is an inspiration for me about the good things where the ideas can come true!

(sorry for my english)

thanks PATCO and also to the others for discussing.

While we're dreaming can I also rent the PMDG 777 for the day? Hey, anything is possible.

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

41 minutes ago, DJJose said:

While we're dreaming can I also rent the PMDG 777 for the day? Hey, anything is possible.

yes! we also could do it with planes:) why not?

I kinda like this idea. Why not a Netflix like model? Id pay say $30/mo for unlimited airports (obviously this means add ons), maybe $50/mo would include planes as well? Seems like a great idea to me. Kinda how the movie industry is. You have netflix for a subscription. But you also have the ability to buy them too. Of course developers would have to be on board with this. Tho im sure for the right price it could be all worked out.

Just my 2 cents on this.

-Tony@PVD

• Like 1

Tony Moore

3 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Just because an idea is an idea does not mean its a good idea....there is such a thing as bad ideas and failure.

I truly believe that abranpuko has good intentions, but I think those intentions are limited to his situation and few others.

This rental idea is an example of an idea that may sound good to some. I personally get a "red alert" signal from my heart and mind, but like I said, I would love to hear how it could be implemented whether its an "option" or not. Once I hear how it could be implemented w/o the possibility of problematic consequences, then my skeptical heart and mind may be able to be convinced. But I still think if this rental idea were implemented wide scale (even if it were optional), prices to buy would go up, to intentionally move us to rent only. That option to buy would eventually fade away, quality control will diminish, and the rent will go up steadily, because it can. Accountability between businesses and customers will fade too. 

I don't want to sound like I'm saying renting stuff is stupid, foolish, or evil. But a virtual airport is not like having to rent a chain saw because that 1 old tree in the yard got struck by lightning. If you have many trees, you buy a chain saw. if you're only going to fly to an airport only once ever, and you know this to be absolutely true, don't fly to that airport, or settle for the default version, find freeware. To fundamentally change (even as an option) the way all flight simmers do business as a solution to you're once in a lifetime "speck of ash"?? Lets first weigh the situation carefully.  

Please everybody consider this:

Whatever anybody thinks about this rental idea, please lets all remember these "new business model ideas" will never be better than the way it has always been. You buy what you needed or wanted and it is yours; simple, proven, good for everybody, and correct for thousands upon thousands of years. Then came the ideas of credit and financing stuff, then house and car prices (really everything) goes UP. We have buying a "license" for software, now renting a virtual airport.(?) Does anybody think that the rental will remain at 1-3 dollars a day? even at $3, if you fly a lot you will be poor quickly, If you do not fly a lot then ask yourself; what is flight simming to you? A "when you can"/twice a month hobby?

If 1-3 dollars rent is nothing to somebody, then maybe that somebody is only flying 2-4 flights a month. If they were flying 4-8 hours a day to multiple airports then this rental idea would NEVER come to mind for them, right? Am I part of a dying breed of flight simmers who even today was at 9 different airports in my A2A C182. I have 5 airports scheduled for tomorrow in my NGX - @ $3 rental each, with 2 alternates each, I would have to pay over $125 rental just to fly 2 days. I fly for hours every day, you see why I get the red alert? 

We don't need new business ideas; for the most part they will eventually lead to more and more government control of even when you can eat or sleep! - big brother...ask yourself; is that what you really want? If you do, then just commit a crime punishable by lifetime prison, its the same thing.👨‍🏫

What we need is default airports that satisfy realism, and ideas about how to do this, we'll get there.

• Like 2

I think that it's fairly likely that eventually all flightsim add-ons will be sold as 3 month and annual subscriptions. The user will not be able to buy anything and use it in perpetuity.