Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

So I delided my 8700k....

37 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Bare contact would be absolutely disastrous and result in instant overheating and shut down.

That's what I figured. Thanks for the clarification Martin.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

55 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I agree not worth it... kind of like those folks who delidded and then mounted the CPU cooler to the bare die.  :ohmy:  In the end I cleaned up the proud corner of the die and relidded with Conductonaut.

Greg

It's not a case of "not worth it" it's a case of not possible. You can't mount a cooler to the die without some kind of thermal compound.

You can mount a cooler to a bare die, but bare die means with no IHS, not zero thermal compound. 

Bare die (with TIM) mounting usually only drops temp by 2 or 3 degrees, so not really worth it. There are direct die frames available that help to mitigate the risk of die damage, but no point really. 

47 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Not so, for the ihs. I rubbed if back and forth, swirled it, went side to side, smushed it...... nothing. I was just pushing a little quicksilver bead around, and probably annoying it.

😀 Weirdness. 

8 minutes ago, martin-w said:

You can't mount a cooler to the die without some kind of thermal compound.

Obviously, there's some confusion between us. 😃  And we're really not far apart on our points.

Cheers,

Greg

This bit did it...

"but I had thought about not using any TIM between the die and IHS when it was time for reassembly."

🙂

That's the bit that did it for you?  Here's the bit that did it for me: "You can't mount a cooler to the die without some kind of thermal compound. "  True that you cannot know what I had to do to make that goofy corner of my CPU die go away, but suffice to say that when I was done I could have easily relidded without the Conductonaut.  The thought occurred to me but I already had the TIM, and most importantly we agree that it's best not to do a dry relid... that the best solution is using a good quality TIM like Conductonaut.

🥂

but suffice to say that when I was done I could have easily relidded without the Conductonaut.  The thought occurred to me but I already had the TIM, and most importantly we agree that it's best not to do a dry relid

Huh... this is getting even more bizarre lol. 😀

You cant "easily relid without conductonaut". It's not possible, instant overheat and shut down. 

The thought occurred to me

The thought shouldn't occur to you, it would be a disaster.

we agree that it's best not to do a dry relid

It's not a case of "BEST", it's essential to use some kind of thermal interface material.

You said... "I had thought about not using any TIM between the die and IHS when it was time for reassembly."

When I spoke about not using liquid metal, I was referring to UNDERNEATH the IHS, not on the die. You must use it on the die. Common practice is top apply underneath the IHS, AND on top of the die.

Edited by martin-w

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hmmm.... bet it doesn't make much difference. Cheap though, so why not give it a bash.

2 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Hmmm.... bet it doesn't make much difference. Cheap though, so why not give it a bash.

3 to 5 degrees.... and with such a precision fit, why bother glueing it back down?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Give it a bash and report back. 🙂 If it's 5 degrees, it might be worth it. 

Don't see them anywhere in the UK. 

Edited by martin-w

18 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Give it a bash and report back. 🙂 If it's 5 degrees, it might be worth it. 

Don't see them anywhere in the UK. 

The actual company is from Hong Kong I believe or Taiwan. Which means shipping time would have probably been Preposterous, not to  mention shipping fees. I'm glad that some u.s. retailers have them in stock.

Devons rig