Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Xplane11 question

P3DV4 and FSX have an option that shows the center of the flightpath in a 3D cockpit, good for lining up for landing.  I wonder if Xplane11 has a similar option.  I have looked but have never seen one.  It would be a great addition as 3d cockpits laid out on a 2D screen do not always give a proper perspective of the center of the flightpath.

John

• A useful tip to line-up is to visualise the runway as a pendulum pivoted at its far end. As you approach the runway, if the near end is pointing to the left, then you need to alter your course to the left and vice-versa. This works with any simulator as well as in the real world. This will only give you lateral correction but the vertical is usually easier to eyeball.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Philip Ogden said:
  • A useful tip to line-up is to visualise the runway as a pendulum pivoted at its far end. As you approach the runway, if the near end is pointing to the left, then you need to alter your course to the left and vice-versa. This works with any simulator as well as in the real world. This will only give you lateral correction but the vertical is usually easier to eyeball.

When I took flying lessons for light sport my CFI taught me this, but for some reason it is harder for me to do in the sim, in part because the cockpit sometimes blocks the runway during the flare and I cannot see the far end, whereas in real life I never had this problem.   Many times I have to raise my eyepoint but I like to have the airspeed gauge in view during landing and raising the eyepoint moves it out of view in many aircraft, though not all.  I can usually nail the centerline in the Eclipse, less so in the Cessna, even harder in the Ultralight since the front brace blocks the view of the runway, so I have to move the viewpoint slightly to the right or left but I find that somewhat disorienting.

John

I just use whatever spot on the instrument panel or visible nose happens to correlate to the center of the horizontal flight path, based on enough flying experience in each different model.

On the Turbo Goose I used to fly a lot in FSE, it was a line of rivets on the nose. In the Pilatus PC-12 I fly most of the time now, it's the triangle marker at the top of the EADI instrument. It's easy to keep track of in the bottom of my visual field when I'm mainly focusing on the runway picture. 

It will be different for every aircraft model, so this method works best in planes you fly frequently and are very familiar with. You might also have to slightly adjust the horizontal camera viewpoint for the pilot's "head" to line up with a good reference point. That's easy with the quick view keys that are saved for every aircraft. Even if I'm using something like Track IR, the quick reset key always returns to the initial reference position.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Before takeoff, position the plane - nosewheel on the centerline.  Note how it looks out front from your position behind the yoke.  That's how it'll look on landing.

In addition - make sure that you "save" a good seat/eye position on the NumPad. I use CTRL-0 (on the Numpad) for that. Now you can always "jump back" to that position by just hitting 0 (on Numpad). This works with all keys of the numpad, so you can set up quite a few "quickview" eye positions.

The default view (W) will usually not be perfect to see what you need during landing, so I like to move back and up, then tilt the view down a bit so you can see the runway and the relevant part of the instruments during final approach and flare.

As for that little "red" mark that we had in Microsoft´s flight simulator - if all else fails, put a tiny bit of clear tape on your monitor and put a little red dot on it with a marker...

Cheers, Jan

Any Toncontin MHTG scenery available for X-Plane 11? I found 2 MHTG package in X-Plane forum but none working.

Patricio Valdes