Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

Thoughts on the documentation of the GTN 650/750

14 minutes ago, RXP said:

This and many other items. The product initial version was already feature-rich, and as we've added new functionalities based on our excellent customer's inputs, we've increasingly made it maybe harder for newcomers to apprehend it all.

I agree there is much to document and we're still debating between concise in-line help (kind of (i) button with tooltip/popup) in the settings panel itself or longer explanations in the User's Manual which is, whatever one may say, hardly read by most of our customers unless there is an issue with the product (count the number of times I'm asking for RXP log files in this forum, although it is clearly indicated in the "troubleshooting" section of the User's Manual 😉 )

All in all though, we've approached the settings to be usable without reading the manual, with most settings self-explanatory albeit a few are probably harder to grasp at first glance.

Please feel free to make suggestions for these, preferably a new discussion would be best to centralize everyone's ideas?

Bonjour Jean-Luc,

Yes I realize more and more that the GTN is a feature-rich and a complex piece of software.

My thoughts on the documentation are:

1) For the real-world functions of the GTN that are replicated in the RXP software, IMHO it is OK to rely on the real-world Garmin documentation. It is extensive, well done and free. So no need to re-invent the wheel.

2) The RXP documentation should focus on:
- The usual install, FAQ, Troubleshooting stuff, you know...
- Stating clearly what is in the real-world GTN and not simulated in the RXP Software
- Stating what is in the real-world GTN and works differently in the RXP Software
- Explaining features and functions that are specific to RXP Software or sim-related. On this one, I am aware that the documentation is not always "fun" to write. So the "usable and self-explanatory" approach is OK on condition that it is OK for users to ask for help on forum to start with. That being said, I am not a full beginner but I must confess that I do not understand all options in the configuration panel by only reading the labels.

- TONY -

This are good and valid points, thank you!

As I'm in Platon's cavern, I'd like you help me with a practical example. Can you let me know a couple of these labels?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

You are most welcome Jean-Luc.

Sure I can.

What I can say right now, is that I understand most of the words used in the labels. I don't think it is a problem of wording (at least in my particular case), it is about the underlying meaning, how things work...

Example: "Connect A to B". I know A and B but I don't understant the result of connecting A to B.

Allow me some time to re-read (I'm discovering the config panel) and think and I will give you more feedback and precise examples if needed.

• Like 1

- TONY -

Regarding the config panel, for a medium level user like me I think that the most important items to explain in the doc is the panel options:

- Master Device

- Connect GPS to AP

- Connect GPS to HSI

- Connect HSI/CRS output

- Connect HSI/OBS input

- Connect GPS to VOR indicator

- Connect CDI Mode to NAV/GPS

For example, I know what HSI is but don't understand the result of Connect HSI/CRS output or Connect HSI/OBS input.

- TONY -

Let's try to improve these then. Can you please review the RealityXP.GTN.ini in-file comments for these settings:

; is the master device if true.
MasterDevice = true
; connects GPS to Autopilot if true.
LinkOto = true
; connects GPS to HSI if true.
LinkHsi = true
; connects GPS to HSI course motor if true.
LinkCrs = true
; connects GPS to OBS input if true (LinkHsi/OBS or AutoNavSource/OBS).
LinkObs = true
; connects GPS to VOR if true.
LinkVor = false
; connects CDI key to NAV/GPS switch if true.
AutoNavGps = true

Is this better?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hi Jean-Luc,

I'm not sure to understand and I'm not sure to be the right person.

Are you asking me to give my opinion on what you wrote?

This is what I have in my RealityXP.GTN file in C:\Users\TONY\Documents\Reality XP\GTN Simulation

Spoiler

; -------------------------------------------------------------------
; Reality XP Keyboard Shortcuts Configuration File v2.0 (FltSim)
;
; NB: refer to the product user's manual for more information.
;
; List of 'Named Event' and their keyboard 'Key' shortcuts.
;
; Define a shortcut:
;
;   write the 'Key' and optional 'Modifier(s)' after the '=' sign.
;   for example, binding the event 'TOGGLE_WINDOW' with 'CTRL'+'SHIFT'+'T':
;
;   TOGGLE_WINDOW = CTRL+SHIFT+T
;
; Disable a shortcut:
;
;   leave the line empty after the '=' sign.
;
; Valid keyboard 'Key':
;
;   F1 to F24, 0 to 9, A to Z, NUMPAD0 to NUMPAD9, SPACE,
;   LEFT, UP, RIGHT, DOWN, PAGEUP, PAGEDOWN, END, HOME, BACK, TAB,
;   RETURN, ESCAPE, CLEAR, SELECT, PRINT, EXECUTE, SNAPSHOT, HELP,
;   INSERT, DELETE, MULTIPLY, ADD, SEPARATOR, SUBTRACT, NUMPADDOT, DIVIDE,
;   BROWSER_BACK, BROWSER_FORWARD, BROWSER_REFRESH, BROWSER_STOP,
;   BROWSER_SEARCH, BROWSER_FAVORITES, BROWSER_HOME,
;   LAUNCH_MAIL, LAUNCH_MEDIA_SELECT, LAUNCH_APP1, LAUNCH_APP2,
;   MEDIA_NEXT_TRACK, MEDIA_PREV_TRACK, MEDIA_STOP, MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE,
;   VOLUME_MUTE, VOLUME_DOWN, VOLUME_UP,
;
; Supports any combination of the following 'Modifiers':
;
;   ALT + CTRL + SHIFT + WIN
;

[SHORTCUTS]
TOGGLE_WINDOW_1 = ALT+SHIFT+1
DTO_1 =
HOME_1 =
VOL_PUSH_1 =
VOL_CCW_1 =
VOL_CW_1 =
FMS_PUSH_1 =
FMS_OUTER_CCW_1 =
FMS_OUTER_CW_1 =
FMS_INNER_CCW_1 =
FMS_INNER_CW_1 =
CDI_SOURCE_1 =
OBS_MODE_1 =
TAWS_INHIBIT_1 =
MARK_ON_TARGET_1 =
TOGGLE_WINDOW_2 =
DTO_2 =
HOME_2 =
VOL_PUSH_2 =
VOL_CCW_2 =
VOL_CW_2 =
FMS_PUSH_2 =
FMS_OUTER_CCW_2 =
FMS_OUTER_CW_2 =
FMS_INNER_CCW_2 =
FMS_INNER_CW_2 =
CDI_SOURCE_2 =
OBS_MODE_2 =
TAWS_INHIBIT_2 =
MARK_ON_TARGET_2 =
RXP_GPS_MASTER_DEVICE_0 =
RXP_GPS_MASTER_DEVICE_1 =
RXP_GPS_MASTER_DEVICE_2 =
RXP_GPS_MASTER_DEVICE_NEXT =

- TONY -

Hi Tony,

the file you've copied is the keyboard shortcut file. The one I'm referring to is the per-aircraft ini file automatically generated whenever you use a GTN (or a GNS V2).

Whenever you change settings with the GUI Settings Panel, they are saved into this RealityXP.GTN.ini file in the aircraft folder. Otherwise on first use, the GTN saves default values and in-line comments, like I've illustrated above with these settings.

Yes, I was wondering if the in-line comments I've reproduced above helps you better understand the meaning of each of these settings or not? In other words, could these be sufficient explanations we may find a way to expose in the GUI Settings Panel directly as well?

Oh I see.

To be honest the comments you kindly added are rather technical. I am more interested by the functional aspect.

For you to be aware of my basic knowleddge on GPS, here is it:

- On the aircraft, there is a switch NAV/GPS to connect the HSI or VOR to the NAV radios or GPS (however on the A2A Bonanza, this is a bit different)

- To have the autopilot fly a flight plan entered in the GPS, click on "CDI" in the GPS to display "GPS"

- To have the autopilot fly on a VOR radial which frequency has been tuned in the GPS, click on "CDI" in the GPS and display "VLOC"'

... and that is my core knowledge.

So I am wondering how some of the options in the Config Panel relates to what I said above. And maybe some options allow some functions that I am not aware. Also, maybe that is "general" knowledge is to be sought elsewhere than in your documentation?

I'm refering to:

- Connect HSI/CRS output

- Connect HSI/OBS input

- Connect GPS to VOR indicator

- Connect CDI Mode to NAV/GPS

Edited by Simicro
  • Like 1

- TONY -