Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Worth it to overclock?

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Ok, but why would the Gene 8 phase cost less than the Formula 4 phase ... and cost less a lot less than the Extreme which is 4 phase also.  I'm just not sure the conclusion can be one of "cost cutting" otherwise why price a 8 phase board lower than the 4 phase boards?

But I must admit, I'm not sure where the $600 price tag comes from for the 4 phase Extreme variant ... DIMM.2 for cooling M.2s?  I've never had a heating problem with M.2s, so I'm not really what train ASUS are on in terms of DIMM.2?

Cheers, Rob.

🙂 Is the Maximus XI Gene really 8 phase or are Asus fibbing again? Formula is higher spec than Gene though isn't it, other additional features shoving the cost up. The water cooling for example. 

DIMM.2 for cooling M.2s?  I've never had a heating problem with M.2s, so I'm not really what train ASUS are on in terms of DIMM.2?

It does happen. Especially when copying tons of data. They can throttle. Not usually an issue for most, but makes sense to go for DIMM.2 for the rare occasions where they can overheat and throttle I suppose. With DIMM.2 you can install one on each side I believe. Also easier to install and access, rather than on my board, having to remove the top half of the PCH heat sink. Although I do have a slot at the bottom of the board for an M.2 SSD. 

Must dash... egg and chips on the way. Three hungry mouths to feed including the cat  🙂

Edited by martin-w

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Is the Maximus XI Gene really 8 phase or are Asus fibbing again?

I don't actually have the MB, only from looking at pictures of it, sure looks like 8 phase.  

Fried egg, chili sauce and chutney sandwich ... yum

Cheers, Rob.

8 hours ago, Dougal said:

I'd be interested to know what mobo and which air cooler you're running? My delidded 7700k will go up to 5.2 on the custom loop, but I also had it at a fairly solid 5GHz on the amazing Noctua air cooler.  I forget the exact model number, but Martin will be able to tell you.

I've got an Asus Maximus IX Hero mobo and I'm using an Cooler Master Hyper EVO212...

EDIT - and I think that's the exact reason for this discussion: *IF* I could go from 4.7ghz to 5.0ghz on my 7700k, what would I expect in terms of real performance gain, specifically in P3D...+1 or +2 FPS maybe?

Edited by Gridley

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

30 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I've got an Asus Maximus IX Hero mobo and I'm using an Cooler Master Hyper EVO212...

EDIT - and I think that's the exact reason for this discussion: *IF* I could go from 4.7ghz to 5.0ghz on my 7700k, what would I expect in terms of real performance gain, specifically in P3D...+1 or +2 FPS maybe?

As long as you're not otherwise limited by the GPU or RAM bandwidth, you can expect it to scale fairly linearly.  So a 300 MHz bump to 5.0 GHz is a 6.4% increase in CPU speed...if you were getting 30 before, I'd expect you to be able to get about 1.064 x 30 or around 32 fps in the same scenario after.  So not a huge bump.  If you run frame rate limited, as I do using Vsync and a 30Hz display, then that extra performance will manifest itself as additional processor headroom available to absorb spikes in CPU load, which can make a noticeable difference in smoothness.

That CoolerMaster CPU cooler isn't exactly top-shelf gear, unfortunately.  That said, a good cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 or an AIO sealed liquid loop like the Corsair H100i is one of the cheaper upgrades you could do, and I know folks that have been using their Noctua coolers over 3-4 builds using the same fans.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I for one an intrigued with this never-ceasing obsession with FPS. Isn't a smooth transition sufficient?