Sign in to follow this  
Valerii

Custom flight dynamic 737ngx

Hello everyone.

I have read many topics about NGX’s 737 flight dynamic. Many users including real 737NG pilots say that PMDG 737 flys “on rails” . As I understand it basically depends on FSX/Prepar3d modeling of flight dynamic. And I got a question: is it possible to create custom flight dynamic working independently from Prepar’s dynamic and to use Prepar3d/FSX like a visual engine only?

OK, this is going to happen:

1. You'll be reminded of the rules. (Names and stuff)
  2. (most presumably) Kyle will ask for specific evidence

Then there are 2 ways this is going:

1. This thread goes 10 pages + and without a single fact or
  2. you will end up "solving" your point via their ticket system

Number one is most likely but still, everyday wonders happen.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

19 hours ago, Valerii said:

And I got a question: is it possible to create custom flight dynamic working independently from Prepar’s dynamic and to use Prepar3d/FSX like a visual engine only?

Yup.  This is how PMDG does it.  It varies from model to model but all of their AFDS is outside the box and much of the aircraft flight dynamics... not all but more and more as you look a the newer products.  The QOTSII has taken the ground rolling/friction dynamics completely out of the box.

As far as the claim of others including real pilots.... I always get a kick from claims like this.... that the NGX files on rails.... meh! That's not a very concise description of an aerodynamics issue. 

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

The "on rails" commentary seems like it comes more from the XPL crowd than anywhere else, so I'd be curious as to their credentials.

Particularly in light of our own in-house, credentialed (and verified) Tech Team.

...also not mentioning the fact that this thread is - by definition - hearsay.

When it comes to evidentiary statements...well...I don't think it's too surprising where I'd assign weight.

Kyle Rodgers

When you use the standard default C172 in FSX or any default aurcraft in P3D and you don‘t use any atmospheric movements like wind, turbs etc, simply the perfect clear sky, then the airplane will fly without any movement regardless on what you do. Will nose up or down when you change the power setting. If you now use let‘s say the A2A c172 and move the throttle the airplane will react to all those forces that influence it‘s attitude... if you use the PMDG 737 in this clear sky environment that doesn‘t exist in reality it will fly straight on, why should it move? If you change the thrust it will react to the new speed. There‘s no significant pitch movement though.

now, as Kyle mentions, if you did anything of this in XPL using the same conditions, the airplane will dance around. Some people seen to believe this is how an airplane behaves... actually not. It will be moved by forces, be it the engine, the wind etc... but not by magic hands... so while default FSX/P3D aircraft aren‘t really doing what an airplane would do (at least most of them), good addons for P3D like the PMDG airplanes are really close to reality. Same is valid for good XPL addons. 

I use PMDG NG for practice before going into real cyclic checks. It has an awesome AFDS, FMC and flight model. The flight model is so good you can even take the real QRH, set thrust and attitude from the airspeed unreliable tables and end up with performance very close to the real machine. That said, it is true that some aspects of the flight dynamics are missing. The only two things I notice that are significantly different from reality are:

1. The pitching moment you get when changing thrust settings. This effect is noticeable in the really aircraft and can be the difference between a very smooth and a very hard landing. 

2. The ‘dead spot’ that occurs at about 7 degrees pitch during rotate on the -800 (presumably it would occur at a slightly different pitch depending on the length of the model you are flying). This effect requires a noticeable increase in nose-up elevator to maintain a steady rotation rate. 

I’d agree that a harder flight model that dances around for no apparent reason is not necessarily more realistic. There are certainly situations where the 737 feels squirrelly but this normally occurs when flying with a combination of wind shift and at speeds lower than minimum drag.

Does anyone know if there are plans to continue updating the flight model to reflect the above differences, or is it just beyond the capabilities of FSX/P3D? I’d buy an XP11 version if they ever release one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Riiic said:

Does anyone know if there are plans to continue updating the flight model to reflect the above differences, or is it just beyond the capabilities of FSX/P3D?

I obviously can‘t say if PMDG will improve this behaviour but big parts of the flight model have already been side steped from P3D for the 747. I doubt that P3D itself can simulate it, PMDG would have done it for sure in that case. But looking at the increasing competition out there I personally think that they will improve the flight and ground model further for the release of the NG3. Simple visual cosmetics wouldn‘t justify an „NG3“