Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

PC Case Thoughts & Recommendations

Much as I enjoy having all the internal real estate, my current PC case is just ridicidudilously too big.  It's the Corsair 780T Full Tower.

That in itself, wouldn't be too bad, if it at least offered some of the modern options, like having the option of installing a dual system.

I live in a tiny cottage, half of which is taken up with computers and equipment - something needs to give:-)

I'm looking for something a little more compact, but still able to take a full custom loop.  Much as I'd love the Phanteks Elite, £850 is waaaaaaay past my budget:-(

If anyone has any ideas or recommendations, I'd be grateful. If you're running a custom loop, or have room for one, I'm interested to learn what case you have?

Re the cases that do offer support for dual systems, is the feeling that they're still a bit 'gimmicky' just now? Would be nice to combine both my systems into one box of goodies:-)

EDIT: Why is everything bl****** RGB?  Doubt I'd even turn it on if i had to have it!

Edited by Dougal

Hi Phil

Have you had a look at the BiTFenix range?

At the recent Cosford 2018 FS Show, there were some notable developers there, using BitFenix PC Cases, I noticed

19 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Hi Phil

Have you had a look at the BiTFenix range?

At the recent Cosford 2018 FS Show, there were some notable developers there, using BitFenix PC Cases, I noticed

Never even heard of them. Thanks, will go check them out. I often tend to forget about the smaller companies.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It's another full tower but with plenty of space and excellent liquid cooling options. I have the original non-windowed model which has a 200mm fan in the front (the new version has 2x140mm fans in the front) and a 140mm fan at the back. All screwed together rather than riveted so it genuinely is fully customisable. Mine has a mounting point for a reservoir and plenty of space to hide the cables. No support for dual systems. Don't be put off by the very reasonable price and the fact that the front panel is plastic, this is a quality case.

Latest version: http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-TemperedGlass.html

Review of the original version: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

22 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Never even heard of them. Thanks, will go check them out. I often tend to forget about the smaller companies.

Get good ratings and reviews in a lot of tech nags.

Fractal Design is another name to also look into, or Antec.

3 hours ago, Dougal said:

Much as I enjoy having all the internal real estate, my current PC case is just ridicidudilously too big.  It's the Corsair 780T Full Tower.

That in itself, wouldn't be too bad, if it at least offered some of the modern options, like having the option of installing a dual system.

I live in a tiny cottage, half of which is taken up with computers and equipment - something needs to give:-)

I'm looking for something a little more compact, but still able to take a full custom loop.  Much as I'd love the Phanteks Elite, £850 is waaaaaaay past my budget:-(

If anyone has any ideas or recommendations, I'd be grateful. If you're running a custom loop, or have room for one, I'm interested to learn what case you have?

Re the cases that do offer support for dual systems, is the feeling that they're still a bit 'gimmicky' just now? Would be nice to combine both my systems into one box of goodies:-)

EDIT: Why is everything bl****** RGB?  Doubt I'd even turn it on if i had to have it!

I have the Phantek Evolv TG. Blown away with the quality of Phanteks cases.

The only issue with it is that it cools great for air, but not rads as the intake is limited. However.... Phanteks now have the new Evolv X available that has all radiator cooling issues solved and also includes provision for a Mini ITX build in the same case as the ATX system. All in a reassemble size case.

RGB can be turned off, so don't worry about that 🙂

Forgot to mention.... some nice water cooling features like holes for drain ports. 

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-X.html

Edited by martin-w

I like this: 

But its only marginally smaller than my current beast!

The finest case I've used to-date is the Fractal Design R6.  They recently released the Define S2 series, which is worth a look as well.  Very well thought-out design with a focus on flexible fan and radiator placement as well as locations optimized for closed loop cooling components.  

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

1 hour ago, dmiannay said:

The finest case I've used to-date is the Fractal Design R6.  They recently released the Define S2 series, which is worth a look as well.  Very well thought-out design with a focus on flexible fan and radiator placement as well as locations optimized for closed loop cooling components.  

Yeh I've been looking VERY closely at that. Some terrific design features. I just wish the mid towers were a tiny bit bigger. They look to be of excellent quality too.  I think if i go for a mid tower, it might be a close run between the R6 or the 'Be Quiet Base Pro 700

4 hours ago, vc10man said:

Fractal Design is another name to also look into, or Antec.

I chose the Fractal Design S and it’s a great case.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Great choice, Ray. Personally, I have the Antec Nine Hundred/2. What a silent case, and the roof 240mm fan plus 3 x 180sfront side keep things nice and cool.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It looks it Ray.  I wish they'd left the front opening door and 5 1/4 bay tho

13 minutes ago, Dougal said:

It looks it Ray.  I wish they'd left the front opening door and 5 1/4 bay tho

Without any DVD drives you don’t need the front door. And external DVD readers/writers are less than £20.

The lack of a DVD drive creates a huge amount of space for air circulation. When I opened it I thought they’d forgotten to install 2 SSDs and a HDD. 🤣

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

45 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Without any DVD drives you don’t need the front door. And external DVD readers/writers are less than £20.

The lack of a DVD drive creates a huge amount of space for air circulation. When I opened it I thought they’d forgotten to install 2 SSDs and a HDD. 🤣

That's what swayed me against the blanked-off front door designs as I much prefer the internal Optical Drives sliding out instead of fiddling with ping sounds as USB versions being plugged in, Windows responding.

11 minutes ago, vc10man said:

That's what swayed me against the blanked-off front door designs as I much prefer the internal Optical Drives sliding out instead of fiddling with ping sounds as USB versions being plugged in, Windows responding.

My two choices of case both had no DVD option. Seems to be a dwinding choice. I have another PC with one and have shared it on my network. The only software I have on DVD is FS Global on 8 DVDs. Once that is installed I have no real need for DVD.

An external DVD drive remains an option and with two USB3 sockets on the front of the case it's easy to connect.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather