Sign in to follow this  
pinepix62

Are the Flight 1 GTN's a performance hog

I finally decided to replace my old flightsim PC (windows 7) with a new more up to date PC.

I got a I7 9700K with a GTX 1080 (the price of the new 20xx cards are just ridiculous) running with a SSD for the OS and one SSD dedicates to P3D and I finally made the leap to Windows 10. Now my system boots in seconds and I can get flying right away.

Installed P3D V4.3, mesh my ORBX product, fsuipc, Chaseplane, AS weather and clouds and my A2A planes, currently flying the Bonanza and P51 Civ.

The performance of the new system is great, getting 80 fps and above at ORBX LOWI and Cityscene Gold Coast with most sliders maxed and changing AA settings does not really change performance and everything is silky smooth. (single 1080 monitor)

However, when I installed the Flight 1 GTN complete package I noticed that I suddenly got slight pauses while flying and when I installed the Milwiz 310R Redux with both the GTN 750 and GTN 650 installed the GPS units are very unresponsive. I used process lasso to isolate the GTNs to a dedicated core (Core 8) as suggested the F1 GTN support forum and noticed that that core is maxed out all the time.

On the old PC the 310 worked fine and was relatively smooth and both GTN's worked OK. Did I miss something in the new install or are the F1 GTN's just a performance hog.

Will the RXP GTN's give me better performance?

Could it be a Windows 10 or anti virus issue (I had to create and exception on the antivirus to get the GTNs to work)?

Could it be chaseplane?

Any pointer will be much appreciated.

Johan Pienaar

Yes the GTN's need serrious power, and that's a good thing if you think about it.😁 

I have process lasso as well and set the GTN's to all cores/highest performance ect.. I also set the GTN configuration to AUTO. I utilize the 750 and 650 together in the A2A 182 and they run pretty smooth for me. See what you think, cant hurt, and you can try different combinations to suit your needs.

A single core or even 2 is just not enough with all the other add-ons and P3D itself fighting for every ounce of CPU power they can grab.  

I don't have the RXP GTN's to compare, so I cannot comment on that part.

I have always had a 4 core cpu but the F1 GTN series has never shown any performance impact on my setup. 

2 hours ago, pinepix62 said:

I used process lasso to isolate the GTNs to a dedicated core (Core 8) as suggested the F1 GTN support forum

I would try setting to all cores in the Flight1 config tool.

bob

My Gtn is smooth with no lasso and no core assigned. Try that. Have a 1080ti. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I have had the GTN 750/650 for 2 months and they were working perfectly in my A2A and Milviz aircraft until the past week or two.  I am having similar issues as the OP with the 750 freezing and unable to click anything along with the screen going black.  I tried changing cores but it did not help and run P3D with AV off. Even a full reinstall of GTN's has not solved it for me...

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I reinstalled the 310R, made core 7 available available as well in Process Lasso and did the same in the F1GTNConfig  tool. That seems to have done the trick. Now the GTN's hardly seems to use any of the available power of the two cores available to it.

Johan Pienaar

I have the RXP GTN 650 and 750 and no problem.

I don't have the F1 GTN.

I read folks having the F1 GTN and moving to the RXP GTN saying that the RXP has lower impact on the PC.

• Upvote 1

- TONY -

I have the F1 GTN 750/650 Complete and have no issues at all, on any aircraft.
all ini files are set to Core Auto.

When you get the GTN on the right cpu core for you comp. you will not have any problems. (the right cpu core is the trick)

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

RXP GTN is bliss (in so many ways).

• Upvote 2

On 11/13/2018 at 12:42 PM, pinepix62 said:

.....and when I installed the Milwiz 310R Redux with both the GTN 750 and...

Sorry; I don't have Flight1's GTN series; but what I can tell you for shure is, that I got serious performance issues with all the latest MilViz publications,  the...

• DHC 3 Otter
  • Turbo Otter
  • Milviz 310 R Redux (not the old one; the predecessor runs pretty well on my rig.  Here the same with the old/just updated MilViz Baron 55: this one runs very well on my P3D computer system).
  • and the worst of all (I know, someone may not believe it, but for me it ist a matter of fact) - Milviz's Twin Comanche - their last publishing: this pretty simple plane costs me even 5 up to 7 FPS on countryside FTX sceneries; the result are microstutters and a spoiled flying experience.
  • I can reproduce this MilViz performance issue phenomena whenever I whant. By selecting another comparable plane - like the new A2A Bonanza - everything goes normal (of course: it is always depending on scenery too - but I do all my testing-routines very carefully).

What I can recommend desperately:

• Do your testings regarding GTN performance in a non MilViz plane (or in an old one), and see what happens.

Months ago I've researched about Flight1 navigation tools and their performance in different flightsim forums too. 

What I can remember is, that the vast majority of its owners reported it as "very good", because the GTN's use an external engine and don't touch sim resources.

I get best performance setting the core to 1.  Auto and core 0 are a disaster on my rig.

Regards
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, KBUR said:

Milviz 310 R Redux (not the old one

Interesting.  Before A2A released the Bonanza, this was my most flown plane.  I use it with RXP's 750/650, not F1's, but I have no performance issues whatsoever with this plane.

Scott