Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

PC12 - Start Procedure ?

Hi Folks,

Ok - I've been lazy... Confession: I haven't been doing cold starts on this bird even though it's a favorite... To be fair - we've had serious issues with Carenado turbine starts though - such as R and L Igniters being erroneously tied together in twins - makes it pretty hard to do it realistically... 

One of the comments on the new FDE stated improved start procedures...

So - how do we start this bird without an official "Prop" lever ?

I know the RPM is set via the rocker switch - but you can't set a switch to a known position before start ?

Anyone care to share ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

35 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

1.So - how do we start this bird without an official "Prop" lever ?

2. I know the RPM is set via the rocker switch - but you can't set a switch to a known position before start ?

1. Full forward (if it's a hardware prop lever) and don't touch it afterwards.

2. You can't set/adjust the RPM on the PC-12, neither with a rocker switch or by any other means. 

• Like 1

Hi FDE,

Ahh - ok - yeah - I have the prop function assigned to my joystick - thought I had noticed a rocker switch a while back - and I guess the misconception stuck with me... The prop RPM does seem to change with the joystick control - albeit I now know incorrectly - I'll unmap it in FSUIPC in a unique profile for this aircraft...

If you have a moment - why is this different from other turboprops ? I'm pretty sure all the other turbines I fly have a prop lever ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

Like e.g. on the DA40, DA42, DA62, ATR42/72, F50, the aim is to always operate the engine/prop unit at their optimum RPM.

With expensive and sophisticated equipment a 'single lever' solution is the best one. 

That said, the Fw190 had this feature (Kommandogerät) already back in 1938 😉

• Like 1

Hi FDE,

OK - thanks - all planes I haven't flown in the sim...

:tongue:

That says something for German engineering - LOL - way back then...

Thanks for the additional info as well...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

My core favorite sim aircraft these days seem to be (in no particular order) the PC-12, B200, Turbo Commander and Golden Eagle.  Of these, the PC-12 cold and dark start is dead easy.  Both battery switches to on; ignition to continuous; press start button;  wait until 12% turbine rpm; move condition lever from idle/cut to low or high condition. Generators on; pitot heat on. Other usual pre flight stuff.  Go fly. 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:07 AM, expat said:

My core favorite sim aircraft these days seem to be (in no particular order) the PC-12, B200, Turbo Commander and Golden Eagle.  Of these, the PC-12 cold and dark start is dead easy.  Both battery switches to on; ignition to continuous; press start button;  wait until 12% turbine rpm; move condition lever from idle/cut to low or high condition. Generators on; pitot heat on. Other usual pre flight stuff.  Go fly. 

Thanks for the response... Looking forward to correcting my FSUIPC profile and flying this again...

Regards,
Scott