Sign in to follow this  
mpw8679

Task manager Prepar3D.exe

So the other day I was cruising around in my Milviz Comanche in ORBX territory.  From the beginning of the flight I was hearing this popping and static noise coming thru the speakers every once in a while.  The sim also just seemed kinda sluggish overall.  So I checked my cpu and gpu usages.  The gpu was around 50-60% and cpu was anywhere from 60% with quick spikes up to 100%.  From my understanding when u have popping and clicking noises coming thru the speakers some part of the system is being overloaded.  So I lowered a lot of the settings thinking it would help.  It did not.  So for curiosity I pulled up the task manger (windows 10) to see if I had anything hogging up the system.  Everything looked good except my P3d process showed up as prepar3d.exe (7).  I was like what the hell.  Does this mean there were 7 P3d.exe processes trying to run at the same time?  I have never seen this before.  Anyone else seen this issue?  What happened?

Matt Wilson

The only thing I can come up with is - when did you last check the need to dust out the inside of your case (overheating)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Just now, jimcarrel said:

The only thing I can come up with is - when did you last check the need to dust out the inside of your case (overheating)

Actually just did a full cleaning about a month ago when I installed my 1080ti SLI setup.

Matt Wilson

I suggested that because really weird things can happen when cpu starts overheating. Are you sure your power supply fully supports the draw of 2 1080's ?

* It could have been a fluke, you might reboot and it never happen again.

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

7 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

I suggested that because really weird things can happen when cpu starts overheating. Are you sure your power supply fully supports the draw of 2 1080's ?

* It could have been a fluke, you might reboot and it never happen again.

I installed a seasonic 1000w at the same time.  CPU temps are good.  What’s weird is this happened right after a reboot.

Matt Wilson

7 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Solved

How?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

58 minutes ago, Nemo said:

How?

I wouldn’t say solved but anytime I load the Milviz Comanche for a flight I get the popping and clicking noises.  I also get very inconsistent frames.  Loading any A2A planes everything is good.  I am loading the comanche from the start up menu.  Maybe I need to load a default aircraft first?

Matt Wilson

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Maybe I need to load a default aircraft first?

With all the more complex a/c being developed that's a really good idea. I set my default flight to the Cub at my default airport - KBUR. LOad it and then do whatever else needs doing. Haven't had startup or gauge issues since.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just some general background info.

Though it's not very well publicized, sound works very strange in FSX and P3D, and it's tied directly to performance and as such it's often an early indication that hardware is being over taxed, although whether it's the sim doing it or not has to then be figured out.  We've seen this raise it's ugly head during Windows 10 updates, which take up so many resources that it's not worth booting up the sim on Tuesdays!

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

30 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

With all the more complex a/c being developed that's a really good idea. I set my default flight to the Cub at my default airport - KBUR. LOad it and then do whatever else needs doing. Haven't had startup or gauge issues since.

Vic

I will give that a try. Thank u

Matt Wilson

5 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Just some general background info.

Though it's not very well publicized, sound works very strange in FSX and P3D, and it's tied directly to performance and as such it's often an early indication that hardware is being over taxed, although whether it's the sim doing it or not has to then be figured out.  We've seen this raise it's ugly head during Windows 10 updates, which take up so many resources that it's not worth booting up the sim on Tuesdays!

Best wishes.

Ya I thought for sure it was a performance issue.  I have similar sound issues when my 1080ti’s reach 90% or above usage.  I’ll try Vic’s suggestion and report back.

Matt Wilson

9 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

... my P3d process showed up as prepar3d.exe (7).  I was like what the hell.  Does this mean there were 7 P3d.exe processes trying to run at the same time? 

This means you have 7 client processes running. Apps like Active Sky, Coatul, traffic programs, Chaseplane, etc. all are dependent on P3D to run.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

1 hour ago, ZLA Steve said:

This means you have 7 client processes running. Apps like Active Sky, Coatul, traffic programs, Chaseplane, etc. all are dependent on P3D to run.

Thank u for clearing that up. Makes much more sense now

Matt Wilson

FYI apparently the new driver I installed a couple weeks ago does not play nice with my SLI setup.  I disabled SLI and problem solved.  I had to try a few older drivers to find one that played nice.  It took all day but glad I figured it out finally.  For some reason it just effected the Milviz planes a lot worse then anything else.  Not sure why.  Thanks to everyone for your help.

Matt Wilson