Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Have I Got a Graphics Card Problem??!!

My video card is an Asus Strix GTX970

The twin fans are normally OFF until under load, which is normal, and according to GPUz and other temp sensors, the GPU itself never actually overheats, even when running Furmark.

HOWEVER, I've just discovered, that although the twin fans on the card 'appear' to be working correctly as the card comes under load, the heat pipe on the card is getting REALLY hot.  So hot, that I can't touch it without burning my finger. Even under just a low load. I can't say I remember if its always been that way:-(

What does the panel think?

Edited by Dougal

Sorry to read you are having problems with the card.

I would try:
Dusting off the card and heat sinks. (Hold the fan blades while doing it. I use canned air and a soft brush.)
Resettling the card, check slot and power connectors.
If that does not work, then it could probably be a bad PSU.

Hope that helps.

Edited by RamonB

4 minutes ago, RamonB said:

Sorry to read you are having problems with the card.

I would try:
Dusting off the card and heat sinks. (Hold the fan blades while doing it)
Resettling the card, check slot and power connectors.
If that does not work, then it could probably be a bad PSU.

Hope that helps.

The PC is 'spotless'. No muck - no dust. Also reseated card after cleaning contacts, No change.

Intrigued to hear it could be a PSU issue. How?

The instrumentation for measuring GPU temp is already in place on the board, so why not use it?  Get a copy of GPU-Z or any one of a host of other utilities that report the GPU's temp, fan speed, and load, and you'll immediately be able to determine if there's a problem.  The temp on the heat pipes is not what's important, the temp at the GPU is.  Might be that those hot heat pipes are normal...that's why they're called "heat' pipes and not "cold" pipes.  😉

That said, it's never a bad idea to blow the dust out of all your computer's heat sinks...

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

16 minutes ago, Dougal said:

Intrigued to hear it could be a PSU issue. How?

A faulty PSU might fail to supply enough power to all/some connectors. (If it is one of the connectors to the card it might not provide enough "juice" for the fans)

Not long ago my motherboard auxiliary power connector failed, took me a while to pinpoint that one. Anyway I replaced it with a new Corsair HX850i.
I tested the old 750 PSU on another PC and had the same problem so I measured the voltages and that connector was dead.

Edited by RamonB

11 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The instrumentation for measuring GPU temp is already in place on the board, so why not use it?  Get a copy of GPU-Z or any one of a host of other utilities that report the GPU's temp, fan speed, and load, and you'll immediately be able to determine if there's a problem.  The temp on the heat pipes is not what's important, the temp at the GPU is.  Might be that those hot heat pipes are normal...that's why they're called "heat' pipes and not "cold" pipes.  😉

That said, it's never a bad idea to blow the dust out of all your computer's heat sinks...

Regards

Hi Bob.

Like I said in the opening post (according to GPUz and other temp sensors, the GPU itself never actually overheats). And the PC has ZERO dust in it:-)  I've just never bothered to 'test feel' the heat pipe before, and it VERY hot!

Although its only a 970, it does everything I need for now, and having a custom loop, I'd really like a GPU water block, but it seems nobody stocks them for this card:-(

If anyone has an oldd water block for this they don't need, please gimmi a shout:-)

3 minutes ago, RamonB said:

A faulty PSU might fail to supply enough power to all/some connectors. (If it is one of the connectors to the card it might not provide enough "juice" for the fans)

Not long ago my motherboard auxiliary power connector failed, took me a while to pinpoint that one. Anyway I replaced it with a new Corsair HX850i.
I tested the old 750 PSU on another PC and had the same problem so I measured the voltages and that connector was dead.

Interesting. I have a spare CX750. Will swap out my CX850 to check...

OK, then the heat pipes are doing their job, and concentrating the heat on the fins away from the GPU.  If you want them to run cooler, program a more aggressive fan curve on the GPU (using a utility like eVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner etc) to spin up the fans earlier/faster, and that'll solve that.

But...short version is you don't have a problem.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case