Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Landing Rating Calculator

I was wondering what other tools are out there that will rate your landing -fpm, etc.  Currently I use Projectfly but was wondering what else is out there.  Thanks!

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

This comes up in flight sim forums occasionally.... in reality a perfect landing is not a smooth almost cannot tell you landed landing.  I want a firm solid landing especially if there are variable winds.  Really hard landings are something else... but as long as you don't bounce it is probably ok depending on circumstances.  Arcade games will give you a score based on descent rate at time of landing.... but that is for gamers not pilots.

Dan Downs KCRP

24 minutes ago, downscc said:

This comes up in flight sim forums occasionally.... in reality a perfect landing is not a smooth almost cannot tell you landed landing.  I want a firm solid landing especially if there are variable winds.  Really hard landings are something else... but as long as you don't bounce it is probably ok depending on circumstances.  Arcade games will give you a score based on descent rate at time of landing.... but that is for gamers not pilots.

Ah yes it comes up because many "simmers" (or gamers as you refer them to) find this a funny challenge. Just as some like to bring a Boeing 737 and land at Lukla airport at mount Everest.

IMHO, a question like that does not really warrant a condesending reply like yours. And don't hide behind "trying to educate". This is purely elitism and sitting on high horses. Clearly you are distinguishing "gamers" from "pilots" where the former is, inferior?

Zimmerbz never asked for your RL opinion how you want your landings. In fact I would say in this context it is quite irrelevant. He/she wante advice for a measuring tool....it is rather clear in the OP.

Is it a crime that others use this platform for fun and games and joy and not as a tool to prepare them for a simulator check ride for the big leagues?
I feel this whole "you are doing it wrong"-attitude is unnecessary and contra-productive for our community.

Thank you for reading.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

Ah yes it comes up because many "simmers" (or gamers as you refer them to) find this a funny challenge. Just as some like to bring a Boeing 737 and land at Lukla airport at mount Everest.

IMHO, a question like that does not really warrant a condesending reply like yours. And don't hide behind "trying to educate". This is purely elitism and sitting on high horses. Clearly you are distinguishing "gamers" from "pilots" where the former is, inferior?

Zimmerbz never asked for your RL opinion how you want your landings. In fact I would say in this context it is quite irrelevant. He/she wante advice for a measuring tool....it is rather clear in the OP.

Is it a crime that others use this platform for fun and games and joy and not as a tool to prepare them for a simulator check ride for the big leagues?
I feel this whole "you are doing it wrong"-attitude is unnecessary and contra-productive for our community.

Thank you for reading.

LOL Now that is funny I don't care who you are! over 16000 post and he still got in trouble!

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, SAS443 said:

Thank you for reading.

I don't think we need a Magnum Opus on why you feel Dan was out of line.  Just a simple sentence would have sufficed.

OP...I think TOPCAT has a landing calculator, to give you options.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

I was wondering what other tools are out there that will rate your landing -fpm, etc.  Currently I use Projectfly but was wondering what else is out there.  Thanks!

You can give the LRM tool a try: https://lrmclient.org

(I hope I don't get crucified for posting the link!)

Mario Di Lauro

Air Hauler does it, giving you a report on whether your landing was okay, plus various parameters such as rate of descent etc. But goes one better in that it will damage your aircraft if you make a bad landing and you will have to pay to have it repaired, which, depending on what damage it does can end up costing your virtual airline a lot of money a lot of money, unless you had the thing insured. A really catastrophically bad landing will write the aeroplane off completely.

As noted by Dan, beyond the famous joke of a good landing being 'one you can walk away from' and a really good landing being 'one where you can actually use the aeroplane again too', what Dan says is quite correct, a very smooth landing is not necessarily a good one in terms of operational cost savings, or safety for that matter. This is basically to do with the tires; if you lightly touch down on the concrete of the runway, the tires will skip across the surface and skitter around, which generally causes a good deal of wear on them, whereas if you plant the wheels down fairly hard, the tires make good contact and immediately start rolling, so the wear is often reduced if you put your aeroplane down fairly positively. Passengers may applaud when their airliner kisses the runway ever so gently upon arrival, but the accounts department of the airline will be less inclined to give the pilots an ovation.

However, it is worth bearing in mind that most airliners have spoilers which pop up to kill a large portion of the lift when weight is placed on the wheels, so this pretty much guarantees an airliner will stay down once it is put down, whereas such spoilers are less common on GA aeroplanes, so the same 'airliner technique' might see you bouncing back into the air if you try it on a Cessna, and that could very well mean you're in for more tire wear as you essentially will touch down more than once. This means you might actually prefer to try and pretty much stall your Cessna onto the runway to guarantee that it stays down once it is down, and a landing like that is more like what most people would call a traditional 'greaser', where the rate of descent is about as close to zero as it could possibly be. We also have to bear in mind that many GA aeroplanes land on grass too, where the amount of wear upon touchdown is far less, especially if the grass is wet.

A single tire for a Boeing 737 costs about five thousand quid. Even a reconditioned tire which has been re-treaded will cost about three thousand quid (this is quite common in aviation), so having your tires last longer can reduce the operating costs of an aeroplane considerably, but as noted, what works for a 737 might not work so well for a 172 when it comes to what can be regarded as 'a good landing'.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, shivers9 said:

LOL Now that is funny I don't care who you are! over 16000 post and he still got in trouble!

😂

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

6 hours ago, SAS443 said:

Thank you for reading.

You know Nicklas when I started reading this thread it wasn't my intention to be exposed to a four paragraph diatribe from you over a game.

Head Shaking Mode. 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

strange thread, somebody asks a simple question and look what happened. However, it was something to read.

Edited by jimcarrel
  • Like 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

7 hours ago, tamsini said:

Landing Rate Monitor is probably the simplest and works well. Gives you a few other parameters as well as far as speed on touchdown, wind direction, bank, and some other stuff.

Not sure why there was the need for some of the rather negative comments instead of simply answering the OP's question. Come on people....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigt said:

Landing Rate Monitor is probably the simplest and works well. Gives you a few other parameters as well as far as speed on touchdown, wind direction, bank, and some other stuff.

Not sure why there was the need for some of the rather negative comments instead of simply answering the OP's question. Come on people....

Thanks.  I'll check this out.

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

14 hours ago, tamsini said:

That is the one I have used for years. Works great. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have another solution:

Simflightmanager.

It's a logbook/flight tracker software that amongst other things records the landing rate. It even gives you a statistic of your landing rates over time according to the specific aircraft or general fleet. Check it out!

One of the VAs (Delta I believe) has a landing rate monitor that also includes the touchdown point in relation to the runway threshold.  

Grace and Peace, 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam