Sign in to follow this  
astroavion

General Question About Computers and FSX

Having just landed at LLBG using freeware scenery, I was getting 2fps. I could barely control the plane after a 4 hour flight due to this. I managed to land, shut it down, and then move every single slider to zero, and still 2fps.

This Dell I have doesn't seem to be up to the task after apparently wasting my money on it. Dell XPS 8910 with Intel Core i7-6700 with 3.4ghz and a Geforce GTX750ti card.

So I would like to know exactly how much I need to spend to get this working smoothly. I've been using sims for 35 years and have yet to be able to afford a computer capable of handling what i need to run which is:

World terrain mesh, WOAI traffic, MAIW traffic, hundreds of payware airports, full ORBX products, and PMDG study-level aircraft with all sliders on full. I have read much about this topic here and elsewhere but none seem to really answer the question: What computer in this world is capable of doing this? How much do I need to spend to get this working? Would 10k do it? Is there even a computer on the market currently that can handle this, or no? If you had endless amounts of cash and could buy any computer for your sim, what would it be? I am so sick of this not running smoothly. I am not a big P3D fan due to it looking like daytime at night and everytime you buy addons, LM comes out with a new version that won't work right. Too many tweaks to get it running, migration BS, etc... And XP11 with no seasons changing is out for me. I gotta have seasons even though I like the sim, but also there is no PMDG and its still lacking all the airport addons like FSX has currently. Anyway...

Thanks,

A

Call these guys and your problems(and some cash) will disappear!!

http://jetlinesystems.com/computers/

Bruce

• Like 2

Jetline systems are very good for flight sim.  But if you're looking to build your own system (easy to do and will either save you a LOT of money, allow you to use better components, or both!) then the golden rule still applies:

1. Get as much CPU and GPU as you can afford. 

2. Intel is the only way to go IMHO, and the CPU should be overclockable. Not that you have to do this, but eventually you'll probably do this.

3. The fastest RAM that you can afford, and minimum 16GB of RAM.

4. For a hard drive, really the only way to go is an SSD.  I also like the hybrid drives, but I personally recommend an SSD.

5. Get the best motherboard you can afford.  I like ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards, but there is nothing wrong with MSI. I'd stay away from other boards. Also, try to get a motherboard with as many USB ports as you can find (you may need them for multiple controllers down the road).

Hope this helps my friend.  Best wishes!

• Like 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Last year bought a Dell 8920 with I7 7700 with Nivia 1080 card and 500 SS hard drive. FSX works great except for the VAS limit of 4gig since FSX is a 32 bit outdated software. Don't think you tweaked enough and probably have your slider way too high and too much AI traffic. Read up on VAS on this site

• Like 2

1 hour ago, astroavion said:

World terrain mesh, WOAI traffic, MAIW traffic, hundreds of payware airports, full ORBX products, and PMDG study-level aircraft with all sliders on full. I have read much about this topic here and elsewhere but none seem to really answer the question: What computer in this world is capable of doing this? How much do I need to spend to get this working? Would 10k do it? Is there even a computer on the market currently that can handle this, or no? If you had endless amounts of cash and could buy any computer for your sim, what would it be?

The computer with the specs in my signature will easily make it run smooth but why must all of the sliders be maxed out.  AVSIM has the FSX Configuration Guide with some suggestions for fsx.cfg and nvidia inspector settings and other suggestions. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hey, thanks a lot you guys. I'm expecting a bit of money to come my way soon, so hopefully I'll be able to follow your suggestions. Good stuff and a fast response. Thanks again!

And those Jetline systems look sweeet.

A

Edited by astroavion