Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

[REAL ATC] Several aircraft witness a UFO OVER IRELAND

The audio would be great to add to my ProATC-X! 👽

• Like 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The Aliens were making their way back having just stopped off for a pint of Guinness at a local pub in Shannon. Its famous across the galaxy you know.☘️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

The audio would be great to add to my ProATC-X! 👽

I thought the audio would be great to fly by too.  Amazing, so much traffic over the Atlantic.  When I had FS9 I loaded it with AI and enjoyed taking off out of JFK and watching the twinkling lights of Transatlantic traffic.  Sometimes when I sim I listen to LiveATC off of the web, it is a great site to visit and adds and ambiance to simming. 

I still have a scanner at my ex wife's house which still works 30 years after I bought it.  Also a shortwave radio for me to pick up High Freq Oceanic transmissions.  I modified it, since it would mute when trying to tune frequencies, which required opening the radio, isolating a hair thin wire, and cutting it.  Cut the wrong wire and former radio so like a surgeon I rehearsed the procedure.  I did it twice, to my old Shortwave radio which sadly broke and to the new one my ex wife bought me for Christmas.  My first real hack, found out how to do it way back when when I had Prodigy for my "web" service, we are talking decades ago. 

I had a 50 foot antenna I clipped onto my whip antenna so I could pull in clear Oceanic transmissions.  Shortwave was the Internet way back then, allowing access to International broadcasts.  You were real lucky if you had a radio that could tune the high def air freqs on SSB.  I would also tune the airline freqs.  In all my listening, never heard a UFO report.  In Napa I used to listen to aircraft taking off from SFO then I would spot them with my telescope, quite fun.  In Phoenix I would do the same.  But with LiveATC no more need for a scanner or shortwave and I never got into listening to police or fire scanning, I preferred not to know what was going on there.

John

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Peter Webber said:

After watching many UFO documentaries, I've always been curious as to why, after travelling halfway across the Universe and probably through countless wormholes, bending the fabric of time etc, do they have to switch on lights when they arrive on this planet? 😂

Me too!  After travelling across a continent or ocean or two I often wondered why airliners when they get close to their destination turn on those bright lights on the wings.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, Skywolf said:

Them space aliens got fancy rides.  I gotta get inside one of them and take one for a spin 🤪

If my ride was pimped fancy enough to make .5 past lightspeed, I'd light it up with maximum bling bling, Boiiies!

Eat it, Terrans!!

y3O7sF.gif

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9/30/18, around 3pm, british airways southbound on J174 approaching manta intersection reported a ufo off the leftside. described it as a vertical rod like object. i was about 20 miles behind him. dsappointed that i did not to see anything though.

Edited by KevinAu
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 5:43 PM, Cactus521 said:

I thought the audio would be great to fly by too.  Amazing, so much traffic over the Atlantic

I frequently listen to Shannon High Level on Live ATC in the early morning as the eastbound transatlantic traffic inbound to Europe tends to be very busy at that time of day, but unfortunately I decided to turn over and go back to sleep that morning!! 😴

Bill

John...

Shortwave was the Internet way back then, allowing access to International broadcasts.  You were real lucky if you had a radio that could tune the high def air freqs on SSB.  I would also tune the airline freqs.  In all my listening, never heard a UFO report.  In Napa I used to listen to aircraft taking off from SFO then I would spot them with my telescope, quite fun.  In Phoenix I would do the same.  But with LiveATC no more need for a scanner or shortwave and I never got into listening to police or fire scanning, I preferred not to know what was going on there.

Not really about aliens, but a much more terrifying subject....

As a youngster I used to listen regularly to Air traffic & local services with a home brewed battery powered regen receiver - using the 957 acorn valve (tube ?). This required 1.5v for the heater, and 120v HT battery...bit of a heavy 'portable' to carry around. However it travelled with me for quite a few years around the globe...

I had this 'tiny' receiver for years, and it came in very handy.

On 22nd October, 1962 I was the Radio Officer on a molasses tanker - berthed in Cienfuegos, Cuba. I had been ashore for a couple of hours for a looksee, and when I got back, panic had set in.

We sailed with a reduced cargo - someone had been banging their shoe in the UN General Assembly ? The 'old timers' here will know what I'm talking about...

News was scarce - we were being 'buzzed' regularly by very large aircraft - at very low low level - and the air traffic was rather 'heavy' also. I had the only receiver on the ship - the main marine setup - which could tune Voice of America or the BBC. So I used a previously built short range MF transmitter - a rehashed domestic radio - to rebroadcast those two stations around the ship on medium wave for the ships crew to tune in. Short wave receivers were rare then - a couple of Eddystones on one or two ships but not much else.

It was a rather scary occasion. My little acorn valve receiver, now with a small power supply running on 110v ships supply - worked hard that trip. During that time it felt creepy. whenever I wandered around the ship - to hear aircraft talking at high volume - due to my link up of the receivers to enable all to 'tune in' to the situation.

We were delighted to get back home - and to see that home was still there...

I bet Fr Bill will come in here - I was transmitting - on unauthorised frequencies - without a licence....(but out a sea - at very short range).

Regards

Bill

7 hours ago, BillCusick said:

I bet Fr Bill will come in here - I was transmitting - on unauthorised frequencies - without a licence....(but out a sea - at very short range).

When at sea, who would be the controlling authority? With such a short range no one would care anyway, since it's unlikely anyone else would hear your "cross-band repeater." :)

As for license, surely you had one from some authority if you were the ship's radio operator, but not for the MW frequency you used of course.

And yes, I remember who the shoe banger was... :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

27 minutes ago, n4gix said:

When at sea, who would be the controlling authority? With such a short range no one would care anyway, since it's unlikely anyone else would hear your "cross-band repeater." 🙂

As for license, surely you had one from some authority if you were the ship's radio operator, but not for the MW frequency you used of course.

And yes, I remember who the shoe banger was... :laugh:

A friend of mine had a morse code radio and I learned morse code with him to a fair level.  I'd go to his house and we would communicate with morse code users overseas.  I wanted to get a radio but did not have the facilities at my house to set up a radio or antenna.  I liked Shortwave radio and my scanner however, on Shortwave I could pick up aircraft in the Pacific, Atlantic and Caribbean on Single Side Band, especially at night and when there was a lot of skip in the atmosphere.  As I mentioned earlier I never heard an airliner report a UFO in all of my listening, but I did pick up military traffic out of Travis on my scanner sometimes, mostly the C5's and Starlifters that were based there. 

At a Travis airshow I saw a C5 take off in less than 3000 feet, then it circled and climbed over the runway, to demonstrate how air force cargo aircraft climb to avoid fire from the ground in hostile environments.  I have sat in the cockpit of a C5 before, and C141, quite awesome in the C5 especially.  And I was in Travis' control tower, a schoolmate's father, Colonel Vesper, served out of Travis and got me, my principal and my schoolmates clearance to see the C5, C141 and be in the tower while a military 737 took off and climbed from Fairfield over Sacramento in just minutes. 

I have flown near Travis in a rented 172 as I flew with two friends into Nut Tree airport in Vacaville a few times.  On one approach into Vacaville we heard a loud banging in the 172, as if the elevator was coming loose.  We declared an emergency and landed at Nut Tree to the amusement of one of the pilots on the ground who heard us declare an emergency.  Our pilot, Tim, had forgotten to pull his seatbelt all the way into the aircraft and the buckle was sucked outside as we were flying.  A common mistake of a low time pilot with just a few hundred hours.  We were reminded that such pilots get a bit cocky and sometimes skip certain aspects of preflight.  We did not fly with him that much again, and one reason I quit taking flight lessons is I felt building the hours needed to be a competent light sport pilot would be beyond what I could afford, so I switched to Trikes, safer than fixed wing if flown in the right areas, away from cities, out in the open desert with many engine out areas.

John