Sign in to follow this  
waseemsz

Non realistic clouds in P3D V4.3

Hi Guys, I am using p3d v4.3. The clouds does not realistic for some reason. They look like fake hand drawn clouds instead of realistic clouds. I am using asp4 with rex soft clouds. Having the same issue with default clouds and without asp4. Is there any setting I need to change to make clouds more realistic. 

Thanks for your help.

x4kpvo.jpg

2u6lclv.jpg

24vi1yr.jpg10pbki9.jpg

Regards, 

I’m assuming by your screenshots u are not happy with the cloud textures at night.  Unfortunately lighting and textures leave a lot to be desired at night.  It is what it is.  Programs like PTA and Envshade will help.  Envshade is cheap and easy to setup.  

Matt Wilson

You Sir, have amazing eyesight! I couldn't even see the aircraft, let alone the clouds. 😜

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Always a bad idea to try and present any general visual problem with night shots - unless it is a night specific problem.

• Like 1

Indeed!

I can see there's clouds - but honestly I can't see, from your images, what exactly you're unhappy about?!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Can someone please pass me a flashlight! 😂

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Looks like the volumetric fog to me.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to weather and sky textures.  I have every texture (freeware and payware), PTA, etc..  The very best weather and sky textures I've ever seen were back with REX Essentials and in my opion nothing REX has released since is as good as they were.  After experimenting rather heavily (including performance monitoring), I have settled on the combination of ASCA and Eventex/EvenShade, and I because of all the tech support I've had to do for numerous flight sim products on the development side I won't use PTA any more. 

Again, this is something that everyone and their brother is going to have an different opinion on.  The bottom line is what YOU think looks best on your system.

I wish you all the very best!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I must admit, I didn't really understand this post, so I can't really offer any suggestions.  Looks like you're flying thru fog so no idea what you mean by "hand draw clouds"?  

IMHO, the best looking clouds are 1024 texture or lower (512 texture size works very well for me) ... I've noticed that 2048 and 4096 texture quality clouds do indeed seem to be hand drawn as the higher resolution cloud "edges" tend to be too "edgy" where real clouds are much softer.

Either way, there are MANY 3rd party products that provide cloud textures and various shader products that will help provide more depth to the clouds and some will even resize the clouds based on where you're flying.  As far as "weather" there is nothing that beats P3D V4.x once you get your 3rd party cloud settings/options and shaders all sorted.  P3D weather is one of the biggest reasons why I don't fly other platforms as much (especially now that xEnviro isn't working with XP11) ... it's by far the most realistic.

Cheers, Rob.

There must be fog, because no stars. For those who cant see and need a flashlight, it is because of difference in monitor settings. For me the third from top is the  telling photo. Fog. At the very least it is heavily overcast. As someone mentioned, daytime shots are better for troubleshooting clouds. Night-time presents different problems.  

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I hate to say this ... but ...

P3D has the worst cloud rendering code of any of the more recent sims. It's so bad that no amount of putting lipstick on it - regardless of what add-on you use - will hide the fact that basic maths is all wrong. I could add that water rendering is just as bad.

I've used all the utilities produced by AS and REX - and have spent countless hours tweaking, with PTA, ReShade and (lately) Tomato-Shade. Occasionally, I get the odd realistic/attractive set of clouds - but, more often than not, I get some cheesy effect that destroys all immersion. I honestly think it was better in FS2004 and FEX (Flight Environment X).

IMHO, LM have done nothing to address these issues apart from minor tweaks that haven't touched the underlying coding. Whether this will change with a possible implementation of PBR lighting, who knows?

You only have to look at the lighting in XP11 (and AFS2) to see that *it can be done*.

Adam.

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

P3Dv4 :

Dawn_All%20Months%20v13.jpg

Nice%20Dusk%20-%20P3Dv41.jpg

Dusk_All%20Months%20v13.jpg

Dawn.jpg

Dusseldorf-FTX%20Germany%20BM.jpg

That is what I see looking out my cockpit...

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Sorry Gerard. Your pics is only confirming what Adamski_NZ wrote. Clouds look like cartoon painting and do not reflect the sunlight properly at all. This is a handicap we all experience and I am dying to get rid of this as everybody else is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

24 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Sorry Gerard. Your pics is only confirming what Adamski_NZ wrote. Clouds look like cartoon painting and do not reflect the sunlight properly at all. This is a handicap we all experience and I am dying to get rid of this as everybody else is.

From close-up they look very realistic.

You can’t expect 4096 per cloud and have 100+ clouds around you with a high framerate.

Btw : my clouds are 512 and overcast even 256...

Using 4096 makes it look better but at a cost of fps. So I am very satisfied with it..

Surely, better looking + no fps loss ; count me in on that 🤗

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

24 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Using 4096 makes it look better

I tend to disagree. I myself use 512 clouds too (though SkyForce) and imho they look better than any 4096 cloud. I don't think real world clouds are 4096: they are all 512. 😉 4096 only makes clouds look more fake.

But anyway, SAS433 wasn't talking about 4096 clouds looking better: he said the clouds (like in your screenshots) look cartoonish and don't reflect the sunlight properly: this has nothing to do with the resolution but with the rendering code, as Adam posted. Using 4096 won't solve that problem. Nothing will. Only a new rendering code will.

Edited by Guest