Sign in to follow this  
fcbarcelona1984

P3D v.4.3 and new rig

Hi fellow simmers,

I have been out of the sim world for a while now (15+years). I was an FSX fanatic back in the day with all add-ons imaginable on a machine that always gave me trouble with FPS, one of the reasons I guess I left the sim world and many others 🙂 . However, I have to admit the since watching countless youtube videos and reviews on P3D it has got my juices flowing again and the potential P3D has in the future I can't wait to take a PDMG 747 to the skies again. Therefore I have made a commitment to go full head-on with this, I intend to build a beast of an environment with P3D with all the essential add-ons out there in the market in the coming year. However, to get started I am looking for some advice on the big investment I'm about to take on a new rig, before I pay the big £££££ do you fellow knowledgeable simmers think it will do the job in terms of handling P3D with very good sliders and extensive addon scenery with good FPS rates?

Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K CPU, 8 Cores / 8 Threads, 3.6 - 4.9GHz 

Overclocking: Overclock my CPU by up to 20%

Case: Fractal Design Define C Case - Black

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Graphics Card

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100x CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste: Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Particle Thermal Paste

Case Cooling: Corsair ML120 Magnetic Levitation Fan - Twin Pack (Replaces 2 existing case fans)

Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z370-F GAMING Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

OS Drive: 500GB Samsung 860 EVO Solid State Drive

M.2 PCIe SSD: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive

Secondary Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD Hybrid Drive

Additional Hard Drives: Not selected

RAID Configuration: Not selected

Cable case for additional HDDs or SSDs: Not selected

Optical Drive: Not selected

Power Supply: Corsair CX750 80 PLUS Bronze 750W PSU

PSU Silencing: Not selected

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Internal Card Reader Drive: Not selected

Networking Upgrades: Gigabyte 802.11ac 867Mbps PCIe WiFi and Bluetooth Card

Additional Ports and Bluetooth: Not selected

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

57 minutes ago, fcbarcelona1984 said:

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100x CPU Cooler

The cooler is important and I had the H110i CPU Cooler which worked well but was extremely noisy when you moved the settings to "Performance" mode.  I rebuilt my system recently and saw the H110i Pro (note the Pro) which was a few dollars more than the H110i (you can get the H110i Pro for less than $130).  When I installed the Pro version, I could not hear the fans at all and thought the cooler was not working properly.  Well, it is but you cannot hear the fans.  Something to consider when building a new system.  The price between a non-pro and a pro version (around $15-$20) is worth the price. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I would recommend looking for the faster CPU processor you could afford (close to 4.5 to 5.0 GHz) with no need to overclock. P3D is heavily dependent on the CPU. Your choice of graphics card looks Ok (I have a GTX 1080Ti 11 GB too).

IMO overclocking in general tends to reduce you CPU life due to the extra heat. In all cases, the H110i Pro looks very convenient, as Jim explained.

For the PSU, I would get the Corsair RX1000, which have some extra Watts of reserve for your future expansions and overall configuration. Remember that PSU tends also to reduce their life in operated close to their maximum ratings. 

In case you add a monitor look for the LG 34 in curved UWHD (ultra wide). I have a smaller one, and It was really a pitty for me not buying the bigger one.

Good luck.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers