Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Best "tipoff"

The reason I love Avsim the most is I have been tipped off to some wonderful freeware and payware, staying out of forums would deny me the gift of information they provide, given the brave members who try the payware first especially.  Just today I read about a Navion for Xplane11, a free one which I believe was formerly payware, and the most beautiful Navion I've seen in any sim.  I have always loved the lines of the Navion which looks contemporary 50 years after it was created, just one example of a fine aircraft.  I would have never known about the payware Aerobask Eclipse for Xplane11 without these forums.  Or the Alabeo DA42 for FSX and P3DV4, one of my favorite piston twins.  I enjoy Trainsim and Wings of Prey because of mention of both sims here.  The fun goes on.

So I am wondering, what simmers feel the best tipoffs are that they received here, payware or freeware.  I certainly would not have tried Xplane11 without the positive user feedback on it, or P3DV4.  I thought I was thru with simming when my old system died, having tired of FSX and FS9.  I was wrong, and sim more today than I ever have before.

John

Best tip-off ever here was the common cry to buy the RealAir Lancair Legacy - I do enjoy that plane.

I always check the Bargain Hunter's Shack and have bought many a discounted addon that I wouldn't have known was on offer. Some airport sceneries and other mission packs have been my best investments for giving me an interesting sim. However, my main flight-sim PC and my Track IR were bought second-hand through AVSIM Classifieds and have represented a fantastic investment from generous sellers.

But, you know, without all the other tip-offs throughout this forum I wouldn't have my FSX:SE running anywhere near as smooth and stable as it does - so kudos to all contributors. I'm running on almost max settings and never, yes never, had an OOM with FSX:SE.

Best regards

Rupert

13 minutes ago, CB_Pilot said:

Best tip-off ever here was the common cry to buy the RealAir Lancair Legacy - I do enjoy that plane.

I always check the Bargain Hunter's Shack and have bought many a discounted addon that I wouldn't have known was on offer. Some airport sceneries and other mission packs have been my best investments for giving me an interesting sim. However, my main flight-sim PC and my Track IR were bought second-hand through AVSIM Classifieds and have represented a fantastic investment from generous sellers.

But, you know, without all the other tip-offs throughout this forum I wouldn't have my FSX:SE running anywhere near as smooth and stable as it does - so kudos to all contributors. I'm running on almost max settings and never, yes never, had an OOM with FSX:SE.

I have never had an OOM with P3DV4 either.  The only OOM's I sometimes have are in Xplane11, only when it is in replay mode for some reason, it may be due to low disk space though.  FSX did have OOM issues on my old system since it was loaded with photoreal scenery and after a lightning strike I lost 4 GB of my 8 GB Ram on that motherboard, I had to patch that system back together with a new power supply to run it a few more years, until the cpu fan died and Vista became unsupported and locked the system during an endless update loop.  I have Windows update disabled on Win 10, I only update on demand, I found a registry hack that finally turned it off, but that is another story.

I loved the RealAir Dukes on my old system, but lost them, no backup of them.  I emailed the RealAir dev's begging for the Dukes for my new system, since I forgot my login and password, but the emails went unanswered even though I was a well known purchaser of them and screenshot supporter of them.  I must have rubbed them the wrong way but do not know how, I always, always praised them and their products as being the best of the best of the best with flight dynamics second to none.  Carenado saved my purchases, so did Steam, Justflight did too but they did not upgrade their products for P3DV4.  But I remember Justflight's support so well, when I pointed out they had the elevator trim animation reversed on their Beech twin they patched it immediately and respected my real life insight into aircraft, great people there.

John