Sign in to follow this  
swallsgaming

Stuttering/Lag/Micro-Freezes

Rather than the settings, I would back off the scenery complexity as a test..

I do not have the REX stuff, but try disabling it for now.. and continue along that path.

Many are using Orbx FTX regions and airports and can also identify locations where performance is impacted... disabling those scenery areas restores performance... it is a balancing act..

See what works best for you!  Your hardware config looks great, but you can overload any system if you just add enough scenery / airport / traffic / airplane detail.. as you are finding.. :cool:

BTW, Comparing to FSX is not apples to apples, since FSX displays way less scenery complexity than P3D at similar settings..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

1 hour ago, mikelockwood said:

So, fellow flyers please help a downhearted enthusiast which a much lighter wallet than last month who just wants to get back to some smooth flying. 

Many thanks,

Mike

For a variety of reasons I won't go into here, some people, even those with advanced hardware, find their sim does not run well with the unlimited frame setting.  

I do not know what refresh rate or res you're running, but consider trying 30 mhz refresh with a 30-33 framelock.  

The reason you get a very high frame rate, but still get stuttering, is because when you set the sim at unlimited, the sim devotes most cpu time to frame rate, at the expense of texture loading, particularly notable as you add add-ons to the sim.  Therefore, you get stutters as the sim struggles to allocate enough cpu time to load in scenery elements.  Keep in mind that SOME people with higher end cpu's are able to run unlimited without these issues.  That is why the common adage is used -- do what works best for you.

I just thought I would give you some food for thought as to the framelock vs. unlimited. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

23 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

BTW, Comparing to FSX is not apples to apples, since FSX displays way less scenery complexity than P3D at similar settings..

Thanks for your reply Bert. Yes you right this is a different beast to FSX. I tried without REX weather in operation but it didn't make any difference. I've been flying up and down over the River Thames which I consider to be quite a harsh environment for testing. Surprisingly experimenting with various scenery/graphic settings high or low didn't make a lot of difference to the overall performance. I've now reverted to P3D default settings and things are much smoother but as expected the distance is blurry and detail is generally reduced. I guess I must be more patient and slowly try different things over a longer period of time until I find an optimum setting. Doing 180's over London in a jet fighter is probably pushing it a bit anyway lol. The 737 is a bit more graceful and less taxing that's for sure. There's no doubt that this is subjective, people have very differing views about what is OK and what isn't

22 hours ago, Mace said:

I do not know what refresh rate or res you're running, but consider trying 30 mhz refresh with a 30-33 framelock.  

Mace, my Samsung monitor is only capable of 60 MHz and runs at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 native. I did try limiting the frame rate to 30 fps and I think that there was a slight improvement with this. I shall experiment further.

Does anyone know if I can make better use of the graphics card though Nvida Inspector? that's something that I haven't tried so far. Does anyone have any opinions on affinity mask settings? or Process Lasso?

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks for the assistance so far.

Regards,

Mike

****MIKE****

44 minutes ago, mikelockwood said:

Does anyone know if I can make better use of the graphics card though Nvida Inspector? that's something that I haven't tried so far. Does anyone have any opinions on affinity mask settings? or Process Lasso?

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks for the assistance so far.

Regards,

Mike

With a 9700K, I would stay away from Affinity Mask settings etc.

You have both the CPU cores and the raw horsepower to run P3D as well as it can perform.

Jet fighters over London are an extreme pursuit, and that you would even try this, tells me that you have a lot of performance under the hood.. Most of us are happy flying a piston aircraft at 120 knots over heavy scenery.. and even happier flying over Alaska or Idaho..

:cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Well Burt,  I have been known to fly my A2A Cessna over Alaska,

especially afer watching Flying Wild Alaska 😎

****MIKE****

On 2/26/2019 at 11:50 AM, mikelockwood said:

Well Burt,  I have been known to fly my A2A Cessna over Alaska,

especially afer watching Flying Wild Alaska 😎

OK.. so how does P3D behave when you do that?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

On 2/27/2019 at 9:00 PM, Bert Pieke said:

OK.. so how does P3D behave when you do that?

Well Bert it certainly performs very much better in a slow aircraft rather than at Mach 1 😜 with the autogen going crazy in a jet fighter!  As I said, I was punishing the sim a little for test purposes! 

Since I originally wrote my first post, I've slowed up a bit and have tried some flights in my PMDG aircraft as well over a variety of terrain/weather scenarios and I'm very pleased with the results.

To be perfectly honest, I think that I was so excited about the new PC and just piled up the addons too quickly and expected miracles. Now that I'm being a bit more sensible and slowly testing and experimenting more I'm beginning to love P3D V4 very much. I'm glad that I made the move from FSX after many happy years of flying but feel that with the 64bit P3D and a new PC I'm good for all the exciting new developments that are yet to come.

Thanks for all your sage advice Bert, I should know better at my age to be so hasty!!😛

MIke

****MIKE****

2 hours ago, mikelockwood said:

Well Bert it certainly performs very much better in a slow aircraft rather than at Mach 1 😜 with the autogen going crazy in a jet fighter!  As I said, I was punishing the sim a little for test purposes! 

Thanks for all your sage advice Bert, I should know better at my age to be so hasty!!😛

MIke

Happy you've got it sorted!

:smile:

Bert