Sign in to follow this  

CPU prices ... what happened?

9900K for $850?

7900X for $1300?

Did Intel just announce some massive shortage of CPUs or did one of their fabs go offline?  That's considerably more than what I purchased these CPUs for.

Cheers, Rob.

Time for people's eyes to wander back toward AMD?

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hmmm ... AMD 2950X, disable 8 cores, bump up from 4.4 to 5.2 Ghz?  That might help the single thread performance but I don't have much experience with overclocking AMD 2950X so not sure if 5.2Ghz is possible with a chiller?

I must admit, I had written AMD off, but it's single thread performance is pretty darn close ...

https://techreport.com/review/33987/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2950x-cpu-reviewed/4

Cheers, Rob.

19 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Hmmm ... AMD 2950X, disable 8 cores, bump up from 4.4 to 5.2 Ghz?  That might help the single thread performance but I don't have much experience with overclocking AMD 2950X so not sure if 5.2Ghz is possible with a chiller?

I must admit, I had written AMD off, but it's single thread performance is pretty darn close ...

Cheers, Rob.

I think that exactly what you are saying is why we see these 9900Ks out there already. It just has that released to soon feel for several reasons and was not completely ready for prime time. There very well may be a shortage of parts but as you have seen, the 8086K and 8700K are right there in the ball park for performance. For what ever reason I think this release has way more to do with marketing than a "new" product and they are just betting on the come with hopes that we will all forget about it soon.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

What the heck???? Cali is on fire and your worried about the stock market?????   All kidding aside ....3 miles visibility here in San Jose ....worst day yet, and we've had some bad days since the Camp fire started..

Anyway, back on topic. Funny thing is earlier today Central had both the boxed and tray 9900k in stock at $569 and $525 respectively. Checking prices and stock now right now, the boxed is still listed at $569 but "out-of-stock" with the tray version in stock but at $549.

Anyway, somebody pass me the bottle of oxygen.

Edited by FunknNasty

Yeah, not sure what the real deal is with Intel, they keep denying they have problems but the shortage seems very real given these prices.

But ... AMD 2950X ... lots of PCIe Gen 3 lanes, 40MB CPU cache, quad channel DDR4 support ... can they be OC's to 5+Ghz?  From what I've seen no, unless it's LN2 which is not practical.

Cheers, Rob.

3 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

3 miles visibility here in San Jose

Yeah, I had to get a couple of masks for my 86 year old mother ... smoke has irritated my throat to no end and messed up my voice (again).  Lawsuits have been filed against PG&E for improper maintenance of power lines. 

If anyone is thinking of making this political, don't, 48 dead people and counting (100's still missing and many elderly).

NewEgg prices just skyrocketed for anything with i9 in front of it.

Cheers, Rob.

I don't understand.  Shortage?  But electronic  local stores haven't even received any 9900K or 9700K. So, when was it ever released? Or will be? 

Stay safe California people.  Andy chance of you guys being evacuated? 

Edited by martin-w

11 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Was about to suggest that as listed here in the UK, Rob, in the current Custom PC mag £800 RRP

its called holiday season prep. --- they raise the price now to look like its discounted later for black friday - don't be fooled people!

• Like 1

I managed to get 8086K for less than the 8700K, which was still around 600 USD. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q