Sign in to follow this  

CPU prices ... what happened?

Its very messed up. Here in Europe, and specifically Switzerland where CHF equals USD, just about everyone is out of stock with some thin exceptions, and stock is marked as expected in 2-4 weeks. Even the 8700k s are low or out of stock and even cost  a chunk more than the 9700k!  

These sounds like something from Intel that was done "Accidentally on purpose"  to drive up price.  If AMD had a killer CPU single core and higher frequency, together with their excellent multicore, they would have really been able to take advantage of this market. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

37 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

I managed to get 8086K for less than the 8700K, which was still around 600 USD. 

Glad I nailed the 8086k as soon as it came out!

Not being political but according to the CEO of ASUS. Our leader's (Trump) Tarrifs are to blame. Just saying in my first year of Business school I learned dozens of reasons why Tarrifs are a bad thing and only hurt local economy and the consumer.. yet he chose that path....

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I mean that’s literally what tariffs do — raise end-consumer prices of anything imported — by design. So not really a surprise, right?

Stick to "Tariffs" and this could survive not being a political topic (even though I understand it's unavoidable since Tariffs are political in nature) ... if we avoid using names/entities this topic might survive.  This article suggest a more complex situation relative to Tariffs:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/will-tariffs-raise-pc-prices,37839.html

I think in this case it might be a combination of both Tariffs and Intel shortages ... but if you read the Article, it might explain why AMD seems less impacted.

2 hours ago, HighTowers said:

If AMD had a killer CPU single core and higher frequency, together with their excellent multicore, they would have really been able to take advantage of this market.

Take a look at some of the single thread results for the AMD 2950X, it's pretty impressive even at it's stock clock speeds: 

https://techreport.com/review/33987/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2950x-cpu-reviewed/4

for gaming it's still behind the 8086K @ 5Ghz ... but if the 2950X could be OC better ... the additional PCIe lanes would probably put the 2950X as a better option for multi-GPU

https://techreport.com/review/33987/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2950x-cpu-reviewed/12

The 9900K still appears to be top dog on the gaming front

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel-core-i9-9900k-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-updated-benchmarks#nn-graph-sheet-far-cry-5

(I think PC Games have a typo, should be 7900X not 9900X)

We do need competition.  I hope AMD can bring a little more to the table, because it's getting pretty close now ... if I needed a single PC with multiple GPUs that could do gaming and rendering well, I must admit, I'd probably pick the AMD 2950X and it's price is still $900 and no shortages and seems to be unaffected by Tariffs.

Cheers, Rob.

The shortages aside, I'm not sure that $950 price for a 9900K (all from affiliated resellers) on Newegg is meaningful...it's just a bunch of online scalpers, really.  A few weeks ago Newegg had a price tag of $1900 on some eVGA 2080Ti cards that were out of stock and still listed on eVGA's own site in the $1200-1300 range.  The prices have come back down on Newegg's site, but still no stock there.

It's gonna be a lean holiday season for the computer retailers at this rate.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

At first Intel was saying the shortage was a result of the growth (not decline) in Desktop computing which caught them by surprise.  Now it seems more clear they want Notebook/laptop and Server segments and are will to give up the Desktop segment to AMD ... low yields from desktop CPUs is cutting into profit (probably the real reason drop priority of desktop CPUs).

AMD are apparently pleased with this series of events and expect to gain 30% CPU market share.  So putting on my forecasting hat and expect to see top tier desktop performance coming from AMD Ryzen 7 2800X?  Lots of speculation about the 2800X, but nothing material and lots of fake pics/benchmarks.  Should be interesting, lots lined up for AMD in 2019 ... perhaps we're going to see a shift in the king/queen of desktop CPUs?

Cheers, Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Should be interesting, lots lined up for AMD in 2019 ... perhaps we're going to see a shift in the king/queen of desktop CPUs?

I sure hope so and if you are a flight simmer who has any input to the purchase of either a home computer or business computer now would be a good time to push every purchase you can over to AMD. For years now Intel and Nvidia have stolen every penny they could with their slow leak of upgrades. Same goes for that bunch that makes eye-phones. There is no more here here. There is no shortage of product. They have just plain run out of tiny little tweaks for more power to feed us dummies and I am one too. That is why they came up with this silly idea of RTX....it's called bait and switch. As we are starting to see, for the couple of game makers who can even figure out how to sort of get it to work, you give up half the performance of your computers. 

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Intel and Nvidia have squeezed all they can out of the 14nm chips at the cost of heat and they have no ware else to go, and the 10 nm is still some way off, AMD could have a big 2019.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Look at those  benchmarks... 8086K Vs 9900K  ..... 4 points  ????    Crazy Intel and every 'milker' company. The 9900K is the best gaming cpu?   I bet 98% of games are like. Mehhh, doesn't even tickle me.  Now, imagine P3D... you might see 1 or  2 fps difference- Garbage Intel's tactic.   Hopefully, now that AMD is back in the race, it will force t them to bring out a real gaming processor, and stop milking customers. Or if AMD will beat them, even better yet... sometimes the competition needs to teach you a lesson.

• Upvote 1

Well,  I just made the jump from 6700k @ 4.6ghz to 9700k @ TBD.

also upgrade the memory from 3000 and CL15 to 3600 and CL16.

one more week to be delivered, Doha is a long way I know.

I will share my experience and let you know. 

• Like 1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

On 11/18/2018 at 11:22 AM, ttbq1 said:

Well,  I just made the jump from 6700k @ 4.6ghz to 9700k @ TBD.

also upgrade the memory from 3000 and CL15 to 3600 and CL16.

one more week to be delivered, Doha is a long way I know.

I will share my experience and let you know. 

I’d like to hear about that. I have an i5 7600K, which isn’t far off that. I’m thinking of upgrading, so I look forward to your report. 

On 12/4/2018 at 7:55 PM, chris512 said:

I’d like to hear about that. I have an i5 7600K, which isn’t far off that. I’m thinking of upgrading, so I look forward to your report. 

Well, finally I received my parts last weekend. I finished the PC assembly yesterday. 

I was able to reach 5.0ghz @1.28v in the first try without any errors on prime95 for 15mins and temps reaching 85C with H100i V2 cooling.

I did a small hop between ESNQ to ESSA with my MaddogX PBR and I couldn't be more impressed.

I still need to install traffic and other addons. Also, I think I can improve my overclocking numbers, while simming the temp never reach above 60C under load.

I will keep you posted.

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU