Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Long Frames - Basic Cause?

When I am approaching  larger airports (KMEM, EDDF, KSFO, ....) my sim suffers from some long frames (up to 5-6 seconds). I get them also with moderate settings when my average frame rate is about 25-30 with PMDG a/c..

What is the main reason for these long frames. Is it more hardware related (CPU vs GPU) or is it a software/setting thing? UTL comes into my mind, but then it should be only one longer pause imo, when I reach the 20 miles boarder of that airport.

Any ideas/suggestions?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

When I am approaching  larger airports (KMEM, EDDF, KSFO, ....) my sim suffers from some long frames (up to 5-6 seconds). I get them also with moderate settings when my average frame rate is about 25-30 with PMDG a/c..

What is the main reason for these long frames. Is it more hardware related (CPU vs GPU) or is it a software/setting thing? UTL comes into my mind, but then it should be only one longer pause imo, when I reach the 20 miles boarder of that airport.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I honestly don’t think there is a cure for this when using complex scenery.  Regardless of settings I get long pauses when flying into highly detailed sceneries roughly 75% of the time.  KSEA, KLAX, KSFO in the ORBX regions.  Ya good luck.

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

Have you tried moving your P3D.CFG to the desktop and let P3D rebuild a new one; to go back to pure default P3D settings?

22 minutes ago, pracines said:

Have you tried moving your P3D.CFG to the desktop and let P3D rebuild a new one; to go back to pure default P3D settings?

Some time ago I did this. Will give it a try.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Would a GPU upgrade help?

- Harry 

There is a possibility P3D will have a new version soon (Pete Dowson is on holiday until tomorrow 😃)...so I personally would not do too much change at this point.  

Any hardware upgrades always help, but my GPU (GTX980) is doing just fine with very high settings and all the add-ons (same as you have except for rex) all with very high settings. 

I lock my FPS at 20 because I prefer a busy and alive environment, this is me telling my PC that I don't expect the universe from it.😄

A few other things that work well for me:

In the Nvidia control panel global settings, I keep Vsync off, power management at prefer max, and I set my max pre-rendered frames setting to 4.

I keep the PC clean inside and out 

Newest drivers and updates to everything

Also my PC environment is a little chilly on purpose with excellent air circulation 

4 hours ago, Nemo said:

Any ideas/suggestions?

Its not always your system i can tell,

I have spent hours testing these long pauses (special at Flightbeam KSFO with FTX NCA combo) and can reproduce the exact spots with pause or stutter/FPS drop in the sourroundings with outside camera in Chaseplane or slew mode.

Sometimes its the add-ons getting loaded at a specific position or a background city etc.

Try using OPENLC NA instead it you have FTX regions.

FSDT KMEM has SODE and ground traffic which can cause these long pauses. (but really a stunning airport btw)

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

IF you're talking out long frames with KDFO and orbx South CAL its, from memory it's the docks/ship when that file from orbx was removed/renamed all was well. you will have to google it. 

The op PC is better than mind and i don't get problems anywhere. Something is wrong and a new cfg file is a start.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

30 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

IF you're talking out long frames with KDFO and orbx South CAL its, from memory it's the docks/ship when that file from orbx was removed/renamed all was well. you will have to google it. 

The op PC is better than mind and i don't get problems anywhere. Something is wrong and a new cfg file is a start.

Almost correct David but there still is issues on approach to 28R (about 500 feet before touchdown) and again at takeoff 28L just crossing 1R/1L

Its not 5 seconds byt an rather stutter/FPS drop (only with FTX NCA)

Thanks Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Running full-fat regions apart from the Rockies with airlines and huge airports is still a step too far OLC for the smoothness.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I used to have long frames also (1 to 2 seconds) when approaching highly detailed airports. After changing my sata ssd drives for nvme drives (samsung 970 pro) the long frames were gone. I guess it's all about fast loading the scenery. After all, nvme drives read data about 5 times faster than sata drives.

Edited by willy647

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Actually I don't have these pauses with KSFO.  A defining factor of those long frames is actually the GPU, and more specifically the textures. another thing would be the drive speed, which I find rather strange for your setup. Most of the time I just have about 1 second delay and then it loads, but I just pause the sim for a bit to let my toaster . For example, when landing at the intensive EDDL i just have to wait a bit for the autogen to load properly. But I think that your issue is mostly done to the way the sim loads an airport. 

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Removed profanity

13 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

Its not always your system i can tell,

I have spent hours testing these long pauses (special at Flightbeam KSFO with FTX NCA combo) and can reproduce the exact spots with pause or stutter/FPS drop in the sourroundings with outside camera in Chaseplane or slew mode.

Sometimes its the add-ons getting loaded at a specific position or a background city etc.

Michael Moe

You can try and disable this: FTX_NCA_objects_CA_San_Francisco.bgl

If you're not a San Franciscan or have never been you won't miss anything in this file, but it did cause performance issues with my Haswell system.

Edited by FunknNasty

9 hours ago, willy647 said:

After changing my sata ssd drives for nvme drives (samsung 970 pro) the long frames were gone

I've been running these for quite some time. Never have had long frames or blurries either.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for comments and advises. My system and P3D are on two different NVME SSD drives, thus loading times should not be an issue. Meanwhile I have rebuilt the prepa3D.cfg as suggested by some. Unfortunately, I see no change during my approaches so far.

I've not yet tested KSFO/FTX NCA but I have still long frames at KMEM (FSDT) approach. It seems not to be an UTL issue. When I reach the area at 11 pm the airport is pretty empty. One or two hours later, the airporrt is filled up with many FDX planes. Long pauses are present in both situations.

I've also tried locked fps (@ 21) with moderate settings and could not recognize any difference to my usual setup (unlocked, VSync/TB on, monitor @ 30Hz).

I suspect my GPU is throttling down during some situations - Could this be the culprit, and how could I prove it?

Edited by Nemo

- Harry