Sign in to follow this  
VFRHawk

Radio, Switch and Instrument panels

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I've had my GoFlight modules for 15 years and in all that time only one module (GF166) failed and was replaced free of charge by GoFlight around 8 years ago.

The units are not cheap but they are of very good quality. There is a desktop AC-Rack that can hold up to 7 modules or 5 + Landing Gear module that takes up two slots.

They need power so I use a powered USB hub. I'm really happy with them.

https://goflightinc.com/product-category/modules/

I can almost say the same, verbatim.  Only, I never had to send mine back yet  🙂  I have 7 modules and they are all excellent quality and perform great!

I am VERY interested in what Scott has to say though, about the "Ignition" item.

Bruce

Edited by CPC900
  • Like 1

Bruce Wood

Those of you with GoFlight modules:  Did you encounter any issues with shipping?  When I go to their site and add the radio panel to my basket, open the basket then fill in all the details under calculate shipping it tells me there's no shipping methods available?

I've raised a support ticket with them, but thought I'd see if anyone else has encountered the same problem.  I've tried multiple browsers.

Also, how do these units fare when sat on a desk?  I'm only going to have the one to start so can't see a point in getting the bracket to hold them yet.  I assume they're just a flat bottomed metal box?

Graham

Graham,

I bought mine 15 years ago and at a UK Flight Sim show so can't comment on shipping.

Regarding using them you really do need to mount them in one of the units available - either a 2 module desktop one or the 7 module stand. Extra money I know but there is no back to them. All the electronics are on show and I doubt you would be able to use them with a mounting.

Only one is not going to help you much. Two GF-166s for Comms and Nav are very useful plus a module(s) for push buttons or switches.

You should also consider a powered USB hub as the 166 units do draw quite a bit of power.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 hours ago, CPC900 said:

I am VERY interested in what Scott has to say though, about the "Ignition" item.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

It's on order - I'll post a PIREP when I get it and give those interested a heads up...

I've been corresponding with the manufacturer a great deal - he's interested in the Flight Sim market but to the best of his knowledge - I'm the first Flight Sim guy to try his product... All his products were initially designed for the automobile racing sim genre...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Yeah, I think they could do well in the FS market, for the prices they are showing.  Just a little more customization for FS, would be neat.  You could almost put 4 of their units together and have a complete overhead panel, for a reasonable price 😉

Bruce

Bruce Wood

16 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Graham,

I bought mine 15 years ago and at a UK Flight Sim show so can't comment on shipping.

Regarding using them you really do need to mount them in one of the units available - either a 2 module desktop one or the 7 module stand. Extra money I know but there is no back to them. All the electronics are on show and I doubt you would be able to use them with a mounting.

Only one is not going to help you much. Two GF-166s for Comms and Nav are very useful plus a module(s) for push buttons or switches.

You should also consider a powered USB hub as the 166 units do draw quite a bit of power.

Thanks for the info Ray, I'm trying to get hold of them through Facebook currently.

As luck would have it they have a really good sale on right now, so I'm going to treat myself to a pair of radios, a flat switch panel and one of their 3 wide containers for it all.  Should sit on the corner of my desk quite nicely, and I have 3 spare ports in my existing powered USB hub that'll be right behind it.  If I can just get an answer about shipping!  Can't actually see any contact details for them on their website otherwise I'd email and/or ring them too.

Graham

@VFRHawk, sounds good Graham. There was a time when Goflight had their own forum but they appear to have dropped that. Not sure why when their kit is so expensive.

I'm sure you'll get a reply to your shipping question. I have to say browsing their website leaves a lot to be desired. No 'Contact us' link. In the About section if you scroll to the bottom "experience" is incorrectly spelt under Thomas Crowell's name.

But worst of all if you scroll down to the bottom of About Us the link to 'Get in Touch' if you want to work for them doesn't work. If that was my company's website I'd be appalled.

If you go to the shop link right above their GoFlight logo top left is "Free Shipping on All Orders Over $75!". You can quote that if they add shipping charges on. :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, CPC900 said:

Yeah, I think they could do well in the FS market, for the prices they are showing.  Just a little more customization for FS, would be neat.  You could almost put 4 of their units together and have a complete overhead panel, for a reasonable price 😉

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Yeah - seems the one missing control that might have been nice are sliders... I think the company is in Poland and I’m in the US - so he said to allow up to 10 days for shipping...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@VFRHawk, sounds good Graham. There was a time when Goflight had their own forum but they appear to have dropped that. Not sure why when their kit is so expensive.

I'm sure you'll get a reply to your shipping question. I have to say browsing their website leaves a lot to be desired. No 'Contact us' link. In the About section if you scroll to the bottom "experience" is incorrectly spelt under Thomas Crowell's name.

But worst of all if you scroll down to the bottom of About Us the link to 'Get in Touch' if you want to work for them doesn't work. If that was my company's website I'd be appalled.

If you go to the shop link right above their GoFlight logo top left is "Free Shipping on All Orders Over $75!". You can quote that if they add shipping charges on. :biggrin:

Actually I'm having a rethink Ray, I have had no reply to any of the messages I've sent them (they publish a customer support email in their downloadable manual, but it's invalid - has a space in it - so I tried tech support!) and there's a review on FB that's pretty damning.  If it's true, a guy spent over $2k on their gear inc an expensive yoke.  Yoke went faulty and 3 months later they've not replied to him.  Doesn't sound like a company I want to touch with a barge pole at this point tbh.

Shame, as the kit looked excellent.  Will give them a few more days to see if they reply to any of my enquiries, but if not will go back to the Logitech kit.

Graham

Graham, remember it’s Thanksgiving today so everywhere is closed.

Those reviews don’t look good and no response from GoFlight is sad. I can only speak from personal experience and my modules have been great.

RC Simulations in Bristol stock GoFlight kit although their prices are high. Bob and Carol have been running it for years. Give them a call and I’m sure they’ll give you an honest response to GoFlight.

https://rcsimulations.co.uk/epages/93a3f77d-847d-4ca9-8b2d-6a951e9b272d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/93a3f77d-847d-4ca9-8b2d-6a951e9b272d/Categories/GF1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sorry for the thread necromancy..

I've given up waiting for GF.  They were preparing an invoice over a month ago and I've heard nothing since.  Given the convo in the other thread on here I'm looking at alternatives, and saw someone mention this:

http://www.vrinsightshop.com/shop/step1.php?number=14

That appears to cover all the functions of two of GF's radio modules, plus another 2 for nav plus add ADF and transponder, plus display DME and have some A/P controls for €310 plus shipping and import duties, which is a lot less than I'd of been paying GF (though admittedly I was looking at a couple more switch panels from them so not quite comparing apples with apples!).

Does anyone have any experience of them? Do you need addon software like spad.next to get it to work?  Compatability etc?  Basically any feedback appreciated...

Graham