Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Dual Channel DDR4 3200 MHz Reporting as 1600 MHz - Correct?

I'm in the tweaking and installation phases of my new computer build.  I bought as advertised Corsair RAM, 32 GB, DDR4 3200 MHz C16 RAM.  Through Corsair Link, CPU-Z, and Asus Bios, it was only reporting 1067 MHz RAM speed.  I changed the bios to XMP I on my Asus Maximus XI Hero and now it shows up in Corsair Link and CPU-Z as 1600 MHz.  Is this correct given the dual channel (2 x 1600 MHz = 3200 MHz), or do I still have some work to do?  I am a novice overclocker, so while I have a working knowledge of the bios, I would overlook me committing an error somewhere. 

I'm particularly curious, as I am getting some stutters in P3Dv4.  They slow down after 30-60 seconds, but still wasn't expecting that, as I've never really had problems before. 

Edited by ESzczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

23 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

Is this correct given the dual channel (2 x 1600 MHz = 3200 MHz),

I believe that is correct. I am not sure why it is that way other than 3200 sounds better than 1600 but one of the techies will have a better and more correct reason. That is how mine reports so I think you are fine there.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

You're good.  "DDR" means double data rate--the memory moves data twice for each clock pulse, once on the leading/rising edge of the clock signal, and again on the trailing/falling edge.  The frequency reported in CPU-Z is the clock frequency, which in this case is/should be half the data transfer rate.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thank you! I had half suspected it was because of the "double" in the name, but wasn't sure. 

Additionally for anyone following, I did seem to solve the stutters by installing the latest FSUIPC (had 5.123c as an old file on my system). 

Eric Szczesniak

32 GB  Wow !  

8 hours ago, w6kd said:

You're good.  "DDR" means double data rate--the memory moves data twice for each clock pulse, once on the leading/rising edge of the clock signal, and again on the trailing/falling edge.  The frequency reported in CPU-Z is the clock frequency, which in this case is/should be half the data transfer rate.

Regards

HI Bob, I notice you have  a "higher-end" motherboard than I have. Have you tried overclocking your cpu over 5.3Ghz... or is 5.3Ghz the highest your's can go?   That's as far as mine has overclocked but but just wondering if that Mobo makes a difference. I have an MSI Z390 Edge. (I Love MSI boards- darn solid) 

9 hours ago, joemiller said:

HI Bob, I notice you have  a "higher-end" motherboard than I have. Have you tried overclocking your cpu over 5.3Ghz... or is 5.3Ghz the highest your's can go?   That's as far as mine has overclocked but but just wondering if that Mobo makes a difference. I have an MSI Z390 Edge. (I Love MSI boards- darn solid) 

5.3 is as high as I am willing to go w/r/t temps on my un-delidded chip.  I suspect, based on the good low voltage numbers I'm seeing, that 5.4 stable is a likely possibility without crazy voltages if I delidded the CPU, but I decided it wouldn't be worth the hassle just for another 1.9% bump in CPU speed.

The performance I'm getting from this build is answering the mail across the board...it's right where I've been aiming over the last three builds, so this time longevity of the components is a bigger consideration, too, as I just might keep this one around as my main sim platform for longer than the usual 2-year rebuild cycle.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case