Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Monitor Vs TV - give me your specs and pros/cons

thanks for the insight. will adjust a few things and see.

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

8 hours ago, evaamo said:

Ray, you may want to wait a few weeks. The PD3220U is about to come out and it will have better HDR10 support and comes with USB-C. It's on my list for replacing my current LG 43" 4k TV.

Cheers

-E

I've seen that monitor but it is going to be much more expensive and do I need HDR10 in P3D? HDR for television is not the same as HDR as depicted in P3D.

I don't really have a need for USB-C either. Makes me think the 3200 could be discounted. But nothing is showing up for Black Friday.

I'm curious why you're switching to a smaller display. Is a TV not giving you what you expected?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have 55 inch Samsung 4K UHD serie 7. This TV used as a monitor is just my favourite monitor of all time. It is like having 4 27 inch  monitors in front of you. I am sitting an arm lenght away and its is clear and wonderful to view. Colors are fantastic.

I use it for flightsimming and ordinary PC work. You can't go wrong buying this beast of a MONITOR.

Edited by roarkr

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

5 minutes ago, roarkr said:

I have 55 inch Samsung 4K UHD serie 7. This TV used as a monitor is just my favourite monitor of all time. It is like having 4 27 inch  monitors in front of you. I am sitting an arm lenght away and its is clear and wonderful to view. Colors are fantastic.

I use it for flightsimming and ordinary PC work. You can't go wrong buying this beast of a MONITOR.

If that works for you then fine. But just to put it into context a 55” 4K screen has 80 pixels per inch. That is only 11 pixels more than a 1920*1080 32” TV which is what I currently have. So you certainly have immersion but at the expense of sharpness.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I haven't read the manual or counted pixel per inch. Seeing is believing.

Seemg5b7C7.jpggT79tOF.jpg

Edited by roarkr

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

If you want the best there is absolutely no substitute for an OLED display. 

You have not seen anything until you have seen P3D at night with a true black.

36 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

If you want the best there is absolutely no substitute for an OLED display. 

You have not seen anything until you have seen P3D at night with a true black.

Agreed. I have a 55" OLED TV and that is the smallest size you can get. But I wouldn't want something that huge 3ft away from me.

I rarely if ever fly at night. A calibrated quality panel will come pretty close given there is always some lighting in my room.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, roarkr said:

I am sitting an arm lenght away and its is clear and wonderful to view.

Your arms must be considerably longer than mine! I sit further away from my 32" monitor than that. Do you not have to move your head around a lot to see the edges of the screen? i imagine that you'd need quite a bit of antialiasing to make things look smooth with that size screen at that distance even at 4k.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

19 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Your arms must be considerably longer than mine! 

This chap has quite long arms. 😄

https://goo.gl/images/hCn99J

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

AS seeing is believing. Here is a video taken on my Samsung 4K 55 inch.

Too me this is more than good enough.

Surely you understand that even if you record a video in 4K, upload in 4K and we play it back in 4K...it will never look as good as the monitor the video is viewed with OR the original content. I think you do understand that the video compression and conversion process that Youtube uses cannot reproduce the sharpness of your original monitor. 

The reason I believe you do understand what I am saying is, if you don't, almost every qualitative comment you've made in this thread is invalidated by that lack of understanding...the understanding of basic digital video principles.

You can do better than posting a Youtube video that potentially invalidates your own experience.

Edited by Henry Street
  • Upvote 2

I once tried to use TV but it wasn't really  meant for higher framerates and can add microstutter so, I went out and bought an LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved Ultra-Wide Monitor – making it just what I was looking for in-terms of my gaming needs. Have a look at this https://thewiredshopper.com/best-gaming-monitors/ to have the idea of what I'm talking about. And If you're into gaming, get the highest quality gaming monitor you can for a price you can afford, something with good specs, don't look for features that you don't absolutely need. This is a good guide https://thewiredshopper.com/choosing-monitors-for-gaming/ . Hope it helps!

34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved Ultra-Wide Monitor 

PROS:
impressive  size, style, and features.  34-inch and 144 Hz monitor, advanced gaming features. If you play first person shooter games, you need this crosshair technology to take your skills up a notch. The black stabilizer decreases the amount of backlight when you’re in dark areas in a game, which makes it much easier to see detail.  144 Hz refresh rate is powerful and eliminates motion artifacts when gaming.

CONS:
 The few shortcomings it has. LG’s warranty lasts only a year which seems unfair when making such a hefty purchase. The colors are saturated out of the box and could be improved upon, this device also consumes almost fifty watts of power since there is no eco-mode. This monitor doesn’t include speakers even though it has a moderately large price tag. On a completely black screen there is mild light bleed that occurs in the corners. One issue with using the 1ms blur reduction mode is that it slightly decreased brightness.

Edited by Merlin
typo

On 11/19/2018 at 5:28 AM, roarkr said:

I haven't read the manual or counted pixel per inch. Seeing is believing.

Seemg5b7C7.jpggT79tOF.jpg

Roarkr:

Can you do me a huge favor?  I have a 42" UHDTV and want to upgrade to a 55" like yours.  I am disappointed that my primary display on the PMDG 747-8 only measures 5.25" wide x 5.5" high at 80% zoom.  Inside measurement  that don't include the frame.   Will you be so kind in measuring your display on the PMDG 747-8 at 80% zoom level.  Your response will determine whether I upgrade or not.  Much appreciated.  Does anyone know what the actual 747-8 display dimensions are?

Paul Gugliotta

see images for measurements with .80 zoom in centimeters5MsDGmW.jpgmlHxRbS.jpg

Edited by roarkr