Sign in to follow this  
Tony P

Monitor Vs TV - give me your specs and pros/cons

As the title states - I'm in the market for a new monitor or TV depending on which one will work better with P3D.  I have a 1080ti and want smoothness,  visuals,  the works.  Also size matters but want to here what people think.

Thank you.

Tony

I'm using a 44" 4k 60Hz Samsung TV with fully loaded P3Dv4 and loving it. 

VR, for my flying, is not ready for prime time. 

The big monitor at a viewing distance of about 32" makes the VC about 1:1 to realworld size.

Worth reading along with any opinions:

https://www.displayninja.com/tv-vs-monitor/

https://www.gamingscan.com/tv-vs-monitor-for-gaming/

Also see: https://displaylag.com/display-database/

It's worth noting that most TVs have very limited physical adjustment - most rotate (left or right) on their stand but few, if any, have height or tilt adjustment. None have clockwise/anticlockwise rotation. Whilst you can buy wall mounts which incorporate these adjustments, they are expensive for large TVs.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 hours ago, Tony P said:

As the title states - I'm in the market for a new monitor or TV depending on which one will work better with P3D.  I have a 1080ti and want smoothness,  visuals,  the works.  Also size matters but want to here what people think.

A 4K TV or monitor will give you exactly the same fps. What you should ask yourself is do you want immersion or sharpness? You can't have both.

A 40" TV will have 110.2 pixels per inch. But a 32" monitor will have 137.7. If you go larger than 40" the ppi drops even further. I wrote a post about it here.

I have mulled over TV or monitor for the last 6 months and have decided on a monitor for these reasons:-

• Space prevents a 40" TV
  • Build and display quality of a monitor will far exceed a TV.
  • Colour accuracy will be greater with a good monitor.
  • Monitor can be tilted, raised and lowered for optimum viewing position.

I could buy a 40" Samsung TV for £400 but the BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K monitor I'm likely to buy will cost £630. Why the difference when the TV also includes a tuner and speakers? Compromises on quality, that's why.

The TV will probably have a VA panel where the picture quaity drops off as you move off axis. The best monitors have IPS panels where this doesn't happen. They also display more accurate colours and are popular with photographers.

Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A 4K TV or monitor will give you exactly the same fps. What you should ask yourself is do you want immersion or sharpness? You can't have both.

A 40" TV will have 110.2 pixels per inch. But a 32" monitor will have 137.7. If you go larger than 40" the ppi drops even further. I wrote a post about it here.

I have mulled over TV or monitor for the last 6 months and have decided on a monitor for these reasons:-

I could buy a 40" Samsung TV for £400 but the BenQ PD3200U 32" 4K monitor I'm likely to buy will cost £630. Why the difference when the TV also includes a tuner and speakers? Compromises on quality, that's why.

The TV will probably have a VA panel where the picture quaity drops off as you move off axis. The best monitors have IPS panels where this doesn't happen. They also display more accurate colours and are popular with photographers.

Hope that helps.

I have to agree Ray, My 43" LG IPS panel is excellent. Could not be more happy.  I tested our lounge TV which is a Samsung 49" UHD and although worked fine, it was nowhere near as good as my IPS panel.

And 43 is as large as I can go without knocking a wall out 🙂

Incidentally, my new rig arrives tomorrow, exactly the same specs as the one in your sig. I was lucky to get the last one that incorporated a GTX1080Ti, as all new stock of 1080Ti's has dried up here.

Julian

• Like 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

After mulling over the same situation for a few wks and coming from a Samsung 40" 4K I went looking for the best. What I wanted was vibrant color depth. After extensive looking and deciding what was best for Flight Siming and not gaming it came down to 3 choices in the 43" category. The LG 43" IPS 4k monitor, LG IPS 43" 6500 4k TV and the Sony IPS XBR 43 800e 4k TV. I tested the LG monitor but was under whelmed. I returned it and got the Sony and was blown away how good it is.  30HZ works like a charm and the details far surpasses the Samsung that im replacing. The Sony is almost twice as expensive than the others but the Quality is there. It did take a few hrs to get it tuned to what I like and you have to turn on the 4K ports otherwise they only put out 1080p. I tell you P3D V4 has never looked so good or performed better than it is now and that's coming from a different 4K TV. And Dynamic lighting is to die for.   Hope this helps.   Josh

Edited by FreeBird(Josh)

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

9 hours ago, Henry Street said:

I'm using a 44" 4k 60Hz Samsung TV with fully loaded P3Dv4 and loving it. 

VR, for my flying, is not ready for prime time. 

The big monitor at a viewing distance of about 32" makes the VC about 1:1 to realworld size.

Not sure why I typed "Samsung" but actually am using a Sony TV similar to Josh. With color depth adjustments to compensate for HDMI, it really is very vibrant and sharp.

Regards Ray's comments, viewing distance and space are important to consider. If you don't have a lot of viewing distance, a small(er) monitor will look much better than a bigger TV.

https://uchisworld.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/model.jpg

Edited by Henry Street

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hope that helps.

Ray, you may want to wait a few weeks. The PD3220U is about to come out and it will have better HDR10 support and comes with USB-C. It's on my list for replacing my current LG 43" 4k TV.

Cheers

-E

Enrique Vaamonde

worth noting that it is just about impossible to use track ir with a tv due to distances involved.

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

32 minutes ago, ajaybala said:

worth noting that it is just about impossible to use track ir with a tv due to distances involved.

I use TrackIR with my TV. No issues. Sounds like you may need to adjust some things.

34 minutes ago, ajaybala said:

I'm using TrackIR right now on a Samsung 43" 4K TV from 36 inches away and it works just fine.

Edited by boddman

are you using the pro clip or the standard hat fitment? i am using the standard hat fitment and i find it impossible to get the three dots at the center.

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen

also, i sit around 4 feet away from my 43' tv. any closer and the screen seems too big.

Colonel,Indian Army.

Just now, ajaybala said:

are you using the pro clip or the standard hat fitment? i am using the standard hat fitment and i find it impossible to get the three dots at the center.

You know I just thought of that after I hit "submit". I am using the pro clip  and it does have to be tilted upward to work. Thanks for helping me clarify.