Sign in to follow this  
Rolfspan

Unable to import CRJ flight plans (FLP)

When I attempt to enter a flight plan in P3Dv4 Navigation/FlightPlanner/load and hit browse to find the following  - 

C:\Users\Your name\Documents\Aerosoft\Digital Aviation CRJ\FlightPlans

- no flight plans are available. If searching on windows 10 all flight plans are shown.

How can I fix this?

Thank you.

Rolf

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:54 PM, Rolfspan said:

When I attempt to enter a flight plan in P3Dv4 Navigation/FlightPlanner/load and hit browse to find the following  - 

- no flight plans are available. If searching on windows 10 all flight plans are shown.

How can I fix this?

Thank you.

Rolf

Are you trying to open it in the CRJ FMS?

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

On 11/18/2018 at 9:54 AM, Rolfspan said:

How can I fix this?

Thank you.

Rolf

It sounds like you are trying to load a CRJ flight plan (*.flp) into P3D's nav menu.  You can't do that.  It cannot read a .flp file.

You need to load a flight plan using the CRJ's FMS.  The FMS looks in the folder you mentioned for the flight plan.

You can also use a program like LittleNavMap to Save As... a file as a pln or as an flp or rte or whatever.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 11/18/2018 at 9:54 AM, Rolfspan said:

How can I fix this?

Thank you.

Rolf

I suggest you use SimBrief which will load your plans in multiple formats. One will go to P3D in that format (pln) and the other into the CRJ flightplan folder (flp  format).

https://www.simbrief.com/home/

Edited by Lenny777

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Lenny,

I tried Simbrief but it seems that I need to subscribe to Navigraph  to update the flight plans with newer air cycles. Where would be the best way to learn about this procedure. I went to navigraph but that is not helpful unless you buy the product. I use Little navmap and that gives me the flightplans for the flp format. but on loading as per Hans Hartman's procedure it should work but I end up with load errors. Further research tells me that this is caused due to incorrect air cycles. This is where I should start digging into getting more information. Where do you get the appropriate aircycles - presumably Navigraph. Where do you place them. Do all aircrafts need them. I found that in little navmap the flightplans used to work well. Lately not so much. The Majestic q400 works perfectly loading it into the appropriate format. It follows the Little Navmap plans to the point of joining ILS for the finals.

Others not anymore apparently because there are different aircycles now between planes and little navmap. Where to start is probaly what i need some guidance on.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks,

Rolf

If you really want accurate information for every airport and navaid, you need to subscribe to Navigraph. The Navigraph AIRACs work with dozens of of P3d4 aircraft and allow FMS and GPS units to work correctly. It also makes ASP4, Little NavMap and various ATC add-ons rely on the most up to date AIRAC.  Unfortunately, a Navigraph subscription does not update the default database within the sim itself and if one relies on the sim's ATC, it can become confused. That is remedied by a further (!!) subscription to fsaerodata which updates all the sim's default navaids, comms, approaches, departures, etc. and maintains them at the most recent Navigraph AIRAC.

Even after all that, if over time real world runways and taxiways have been changed over the default P3d4 versions, those discrepancies will still exist. But at least for larger payware airports, most of those issues have been corrected. Airport Design Editor can be used to bring runway and taxiway geometry up to date. Finally, the author of fsaerodata is working on automating the airport update process.

Thank you for your help. I am not all that interested in having totally accurate or uptodate information on airports. What I like to have is a program that provides me with a flightplan such as Little Navmap that works with planes or possibly the Sim (P3Dv4.3 in my case).  It worked fine in the past on most of the planes that followed PLN but lately it works only on the Majestic Q400 to the arrival of the destination. Planes with PLN now follow what In believe is the Sim's (P3Dv4.3) flight planner and totally ignores the plan from little Navmap. This is evident when viewing the flightplan on Little Navmap and the plane as it follows its own route. I am wondering if the latest update of the sim to 4.3 changed things. 

I hope I am making myself clear with my comments. Again my thanks.

Rolf

Maybe I should emphasize how P3d4's navigation "database" is structured. In XP11 for example, there is a one unified database of approaches, navaids, comms, waypoints, airways, etc.. Hence, it is easy to update everything with each AIRAC. Unfortunately, in P3d4 (and FSX for that matter) all that information is widely dispersed in separate airport BGL files. The consequence of that legacy database design is that in order to revise the entire database with each new AIRAC, every default airport must be revised. Unfortunately, almost all the default airports in P3d4 remain unchanged from those in FSX.

3rd party developers basically decided to ignore the poor choice that Microsoft made in designing the navigation database and instead Incorporated the Navigraph data into their add-ons. This creates discrepancies between what the sim's ATC uses and what third party GPS, FMS and flight planning software use.

fsaerodata is an additional subscription service that revises the navigation data in all default P3d4 airports and eliminates the  discrepancies.