Sign in to follow this  
airernie

Vendors no longer supporting FSX

I had a email conversation with Imaginesim to see if they intend to update KAUS similar to the P3DV4 version and was informed they will not be doing anything to the FSX version.

I realize they are not the only ones; Flightbeam, 29 Palms, FS Dreamteam and others have made that decision.

Is there a list of vendors who will no longer be either creating new products for FSX or updating their FSX products?

The stock answer is switch to P3DV4, but frankly at my age it doesn't make economic sense to spend the thousands to support a new platform. 

Thanks,
Ernie

• Upvote 2

Ernest Pergrem

If you guys are thinking of switching, give x-plane a shot...new version is on the way and they are currently testing. beta 4 is out....

I fly with both FSX and X-plane...

If development stops on FSX, I will be in the same boat. Adios to FSX. I have spent boatloads of cash on FSX and not nearly the same on X-plane.

21 minutes ago, meb58 said:

If development stops on FSX, I will be in the same boat. Adios to FSX. I have spent boatloads of cash on FSX and not nearly the same on X-plane.

I have enough money in FSX that I'm unlikely to abandon it even if development stops.

I just want to funnel what money I can spend to those developers that support FSX, therefore my desire to determine whose they are.

Ernie

Edited by airernie
  • Upvote 3

Ernest Pergrem

I didn't find porting from FSX to P3Dv4 that expensive as most popular scenery has been ported to P3Dv4 free of charge. The only stuff that gets expensive is A2A and PMDG aircraft that don't have any upgrade path.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

9 minutes ago, airernie said:

I have enough money in FSX that I'm unlikely to abandon it even if development stops.

I just want to funnel what money I can spend to those developers that support FSX, therefore my desire to determine whose they are.

Ernie

Same here airernie....I will be watching this development closely....

I found P3DV4 to be more fluid than FSX on a mid range system at the time, now low end for 2018.  I was able to upgrade my Carenado FSX titles to P3DV4 on my new system for free.  Also have Xplane11 as an alternative.  Have MSE Photoreal scenery for P3DV4 and my Colorado FSX photoreal scenery made with FSEarthtiles works perfectly in P3DV4.  P3DV4's cloud shadows extend the realism that FSX was looking for and so many FSX bugs were fixed, such as disappearing buildings when photoreal scenery was used, which disables autogen.  Crosswind handling is also better.

I had no choice but to switch to P3DV4 when my old system with FS9 and FSX died last year when Windows Update destroyed Vista, making Vista unbootable.  But I restored most of my software titles using Steam, Carenado, and Avsim's library for the freeware I had created for FS9 and FSX.  Most of my investment in FSX was Carenado and Alabeo, so I did not lose that investment in the end.  I mistakenly repurchased a few Carenado titles before I realized that my license keys and download links were saved by Carenado and upgradeable to P3D.  I bought my system immediately when I found it at Fry's Electronics, LOL thought it was DOA because I could not find the power switch, hidden on the upper right of my MSI Vortex.  Even though my cpu speed is not the highest, it is high enough for P3D since it was near state of the art when P3D took over FSX.  All my sims run quite fluid on it.  I run Win 10 lean and mean with no Antivirus other than Malwarebytes scan only and Windows Defender and tight security on Firefox with Adblock.  I do not use any other browser other than Firefox.

I do miss FSX because I spun so much free photoscenery on it that I had to replace with MSE for P3D.  I only have three free photoreal states on P3D--Wyoming, Colorado and most of Oregon except for the coast.  I do not have many freeware P3D titles except for my own trike.  I have a handful of freeware scenery and aircraft titles for Xplane11.

John

As stated above there is a lot of FSX ware that ports over free of charge such as FSDT and Flightbeam and many other sceneries not the least of which is ORBX. As far as your study level aircraft TFDi is cross platform at no charge but alas PMDG and A2A will have to be repurchased. The good news is you can keep your FSX up and running as long as you want until you get P3DV4 built. I still have mine installed just for certain aircraft I don't want to repurchase like my A2A Connie and LevelD 767. You just spend as much or little as you want and take your sweet time about it.

Only problem with that scenario is once you get Prepared FSX will start looking more and more uninteresting. I thought much the same way as Ernie until I decided to go for it last January (you only live once) and simming has been expotenialy better.  Well worth it to me.

And may I add I'm an old retired codger on a  fixed income as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

I say if you are happy with your FSX setup why change?  Even without those vendors there is still plenty of add-ons to last a lifetime. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I'm with you Ernie. Despite being a massive OrbX customer (95% of their products I think) which is cross-platform most of my planes are A2A and PMDG which I do not intend to buy twice. Having tons of fun with the FlySimWare Lear though which is dual-sim license.

Have got FSX running smoothly and looking pretty after many years and it's in a wonderful state. OOM's are avoidable when you know how.

Most importantly, despite learning all the time while simming I flightsim 100% of the time to put a big smile on my face and make my older years a lot more fun than sitting on the couch and watching TV all day. So as a lifelong honest person I am completely incompatible with any version of that other sim according to the EULA. I always enjoy talking about and making videos of how much fun I am having with FSX and I intend to continue to do that!

• Upvote 1

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

On 11/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, airernie said:

I had a email conversation with Imaginesim to see if they intend to update KAUS similar to the P3DV4 version and was informed they will not be doing anything to the FSX version.

I realize they are not the only ones; Flightbeam, 29 Palms, FS Dreamteam and others have made that decision.

Is there a list of vendors who will no longer be either creating new products for FSX or updating their FSX products?

The stock answer is switch to P3DV4, but frankly at my age it doesn't make economic sense to spend the thousands to support a new platform. 

Thanks,
Ernie

I've never even heard of these vendors. Leaving FSX? Their loss, not mine.

I'm not suprised, but equally, I'm not that bothered! When I decided to get into simulation in 2013 I had to choose a simulator from XPlane and FSX, I tried them both and settled on FSX because of the massive community, the help I could get, the huge amount of freeware and payware. I spent 3 years building a full cockpit simulator and declared it 'finished'. Now I buy very very little, the odd airport, and some Orbx scenery... I don't want to tinker with my rock solid setup so I tend not to buy much so as not to rock the boat. My motto is 'just fly!'

Switching to another system would be a huge undertaking. I'm incredibly happy with FSX, and don't need to keep buying more and more. I keep thinking of GA pilots who have one aircraft and fly mainly from one airfield - I should be happy with the whole world in Orbx Global and various A2A planes, plus airliners and a load of twin props... 

• Upvote 2