Sign in to follow this  
Noel

What are the big missing features in XP11.x v P3D 4.x now?

2 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

I don't compare youtube videos. I compare it to my real life experience.

And how many hrs RW experience do you have on heavy jets?

Just now, FDEdev said:

Now I'm curious. Which airline is this? I don't know any 747-400 operator which has such a low crosswind limit.  

No specific airline, as this will depend on SOP and runway conditions (wet, dry etc). I might be wrong, but I do think these numbers were from Boeing. Most airlines probably wont even go this high. Landing an airplane at maximum crosswind component requires skills and experience, and won't be a very pleasant experience for your passengers.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

2 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

And how many hrs RW experience do you have on heavy jets?

None, strictly a turboprop guy here. But the size of the airplane doesn't matter. They're all bound to the same physics. I'm pretty sure most pilots that have turboprop experience will agree that they are more challenging to fly than jets.

What kind of airplanes do you fly? 🙂

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

2 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

Most airlines probably wont even go this high. Landing an airplane at maximum crosswind component requires skills and experience, and won't be a very pleasant experience for your passengers.

I don't know which airline you are flying for, but I don't know any airline which would be happy if their pilots would divert if it's not necessary, especially if a few hundred passengers are concerned.

X-plane makes you believe that a 35kts crosswind landing requires a high amount of skill and experience but this isn't the case IRL.

LR pilots sometimes get only 2-3 landings per month, and that after a 10hr flight so it would be bad if a 777, 747 would be as difficult to land IRL as in x-plane.

Simple push off the crab angle prior or during the flare and that's it.

14 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Now I'm curious. Which airline is this? I don't know any 747-400 operator which has such a low crosswind limit.  

Most 747-400 operators have a 40kts T/O and 36kts LND limit.

Not going to argue about that, since I've never flown a 747. But I'm pretty sure they won't land a 747 with 36 knots crosswind component on a slippery runway.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

5 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

I'm pretty sure they won't land a 747 with 36 knots crosswind component on a slippery runway.

Don't know why you are suddenly switching to a different runway condition and I don't know what a 'slippery' runway condition is.

Maybe you mean a 'wet' runway, and even in this case the crosswind limit for the 747-400 with most operators is still more than 30kts.

Edited by FDEdev

3 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

I don't know which airline you are flying for, but I don't know any airline which would be happy if their pilots would divert if it's not necessary, especially if a few hundred passengers are concerned.

X-plane makes you believe that a 35kts crosswind landing requires a high amount of skill and experience but this isn't the case IRL.

LR pilots sometimes get only 2-3 landings per month, and that after a 10hr flight so it would be bad if a 777, 747 would be as difficult to land IRL as in x-plane.

Simple push off the crab angle prior or during the flare and that's it.

Safety always comes first. And most airlines also would like to see their passengers again.

How much skill and experience is required all depends on what type of aircraft you are flying, the conditions etc.

What type of aircraft do you fly?

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

39 minutes ago, jcomm said:

It's not that bad... and in some aspects IMO better done in FSX than in XP...  Compare these to RW videos... 

Hi Folks,

OMG - those videos are a most excellent recreation of the RW crosswind videos - WOW - I'm surprised how close they are - nice job !

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

1 minute ago, FDEdev said:

Don't know why you are suddenly switching to a different runway condition and I don't know what a 'slippery' runway condition is.

Maybe you mean a 'wet' runway, and even in this case the crosswind limit for the 747-400 with most operators is still more than 30kts.

You could be right, I'm not 747 rated so I won't argue. Are you a 747 pilot by the way?

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

Well, thanks for the interesting replies.  My sense after seeing all of this, on an XP forum no less, is that it makes most sense for me to stay w/ P3D for the foreseeable future.  

Cheers

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 minute ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

OMG - those videos are a most excellent recreation of the RW crosswind videos - WOW - I'm sujrprised how close they are - nice job !

Regards,
Scott

Here's the XP version, but you can't really judge by watching youtube videos:

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

4 minutes ago, NorwegianAviator said:

1. Safety always comes first. And most airlines also would like to see their passengers again.

2. What type of aircraft do you fly?

1. Correct and that's why the crosswind limit is usually already way lower than what the airplane can actually handle.

2. Dash7/8, 767, Metro, etc,  

Edited by FDEdev

? Don't know any company which such a strange fleet mix. These are just a few of the types that accumulated over the last few decades.

• Like 1