Sign in to follow this  
paulh1

PMDG Landing Replay

Hi All

I am running the Prepar3dv4 simulator with pmdg 747-400 and the qualitywings 787-9.

Have no issues except for the replay after landing.

The qualitywings replay is perfect, reverse thrusters are shown activating, and the speed brakes redeploy each time

the replay is replayed.

However the pmdg 747-400 has never shown reverse thrusters for years now, and the speed brakes don't redeploy, they

just stay deployed for all replays there after.

Is this just me, or is this standard for all simmers. If it is a bug can or will pmdg rectify this bug.

I have only raised this since installing the 787, and I am wondering if one company can get it right, why cant the other.

Regards   Paul Hursey

4 hours ago, paulh1 said:

I have only raised this since installing the 787, and I am wondering if one company can get it right, why cant the other.

This is a bit unnecessarily accusatory.

It's a bit like buying an F1 car, but comparing it to your family sedan, and saying "if one company can get passenger comfort right, why can't the other?" They're built for entirely different purposes.

It's an extreme example, sure, but the concept is the same:

We developed our aircraft using lots of custom code to get all of the animations to work properly, primarily because a lot of them need that custom code because the default sim animations don't cut it. That's not to say QW chose an incorrect method. What works for them works for them. We implement things to make sure they work and animate to our standards in the moment, and not so much in the over-simplified replay function (which isn't a replay as much as it's "re-flying" your flight by using your position data, which doesn't include the data stream for our complex animations).

Example: spoileron/flaperon/aileron function. The outboard ailerons will lock out at a certain speed in order to cut back on the bending moment of the wing, instead the inboard flaperon is utilized. This is not covered by the built-in sim function. The lift dumping function of the flaperon (777) is also not covered in the in-sim functions. Spoilers, while handled by the in-sim functions, are handled all the same using those functions, but the real-world spoilers lift to different degrees, and have different limits - needs to be handled by custom code.

So...sure...one company got it right to allow the plane to look normal in replay. That is right in the context of replay. Is this wrong? For replay? No. For real world accuracy? Perhaps not. Another company got it right to allow the plane to look normal according to real world behaviors and animations. That is right in the context of real world. Is this wrong? For replay? Sure. For real world accuracy? No.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers