Sign in to follow this  
Ray Smith

P3DV4 Hardware Config

Hi

Getting a new PC with Samsung EVO 970 M.2 1 TB installed.

I have three other 500Gb Samsung SSD drives.

One of those three SSD drives will be for the Win 10 Pro 64 bit system

Any recommendations on where's the best place for P3DV4 and Add-ons?

Thanks

Ray

What you might do (which is similar to what I have done) You said one of the SSD's would be for win 10, all fine but what you can then do is move (it's a valid operation provided by Win 10, just google it)  the document folder to the 1TB drive. That way the add-ons that automatically want to install into Documents will give you no grief and you can also add other add-ons to the 1TB drive (these, of course will be using the add-on.xml method) I have 2 SSD's, one SSD contains OS (C:/) and an E:/ drive which has main P3D v. 4.x installed. My Documents folder is moved to a previous 7400 rpm Hard Drive.   

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

The OP is actually planning a faster 1 TB drive... not a data drive  :wink:

The Orbx scenery folders can be spread across multiple drives, using file linking.

Any Orbx regions that cause pauses when loading (like SoCal) or addon airports that cause stutters should be put on the fastest drive you have got to minimize this annoying effect..

Bert

I guess my English is worse than thought.

"What you might do (which is similar to what I have done) You said one of the SSD's would be for win 10, all fine but what you can then do is move (it's a valid operation provided by Win 10, just google it)  the document folder to the 1TB drive. That way the add-ons that automatically want to install into Documents will give you no grief and you can also add other add-ons to the 1TB drive (these, of course will be using the add-on.xml method)"

**I have 2 SSD's, one SSD contains OS (C:/) and an E:/ drive which has main P3D v. 4.x installed. My Documents folder is moved to a previous 7400 rpm Hard Drive.

I don't believe I suggested to not use the M.2 1TB    and use a hard drive in it's place. I merely gave the OP a suggestion as he requested and told him what I had done on my system, (I don't have an M.2 1TB drive only 2 SSD's and an old 1TB hard drive.

By the way Bert, thanks for all the info you give users about intergating radios into VC's.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Some add-ons will install into the C:\Users\username\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons without option ... you can manually move them to another driver/location, but it's tedious.  I have a 1TB Samsung 970 for OS/Add-Ons (that are fixed location) and another 2TB Samsung 970 for flight sim/games/add-ons. 

I have a feeling that PR scenery is suddenly going to become much more popular 😉 ... so with that said, be sure to plan accordingly (PR takes much more disk space).

Cheers, Rob.

46 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

😉Some add-ons will install into the C:\Users\username\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons without option ... you can manually move them to another driver/location, but it's tedious.

FSDT and FlightBeam installers do that but having realised what was happening I just uninstalled the first two and then directed the installer to D:\P3Dv4\Addon Manager which I created manually. Thereafter it was easy to point the installer to that folder.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

I have a feeling that PR scenery is suddenly going to become much more popular 😉 ... so with that said, be sure to plan accordingly (PR takes much more disk space).

I read this just before clicking "Submit" on a new PC order on Saturday.  Went back and tripled the size of HDD capacity I was ordering.  Today I see why!

ugcx_banner.png