I have the Corsair Dominator  Platinum 32 GB(2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz, but i am using 16 GB of the 32 GB because of a motherboard issue. The current freq is around 2100 MHz. How much higher can i set the freq for the single 16 GB stick?

Edited by williebarry1

The freq you can run at depends on your motherboard and chipset, to an extent.  You didn't give much info.  A Z370 board should be able to run DDR4 3200.   2100 isn't really all that high these days -- I'm building a B360 budget rig right now for work, and it can run faster ram speed than that -- on a $80 motherboard.

Your post might be better to be moved to the Hardware subforum, rather than the P3D general subforum.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

35 minutes ago, Mace said:

The freq you can run at depends on your motherboard and chipset, to an extent.  You didn't give much info.  A Z370 board should be able to run DDR4 3200.   2100 isn't really all that high these days -- I'm building a B360 budget rig right now for work, and it can run faster ram speed than that -- on a $80 motherboard.

Your post might be better to be moved to the Hardware subforum, rather than the P3D general subforum.

The motherboard is TUF Z270 MARK 2

1 hour ago, williebarry1 said:

The motherboard is TUF Z270 MARK 2

DDR4 2133 is listed for that board, and a bunch of higher clocks.  Check to make sure the board isn't in power saving state.

You may also need to consult with the documentation for the board, as running a single stick is single-channel mode and may limit the freq you can run at, but the only way to know for sure is to check the documentation for the Asus TUF Z270 Mark 2.  Also make sure your sticks are on the memory QVL for that board:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/HelpDesk_QVL

/

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi williebarry1,

Rhett is quite right, your Mobo user manual will have all the setup information you need. Depending on your CPU this board can utilise up to 3866 Mhz (O.C) RAM modules. If your Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB(2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz are on the QVL list (See user Guide) then great, otherwise use MEM OK button on the motherboard to configure for use.

I have an older Asus board (Z78 Expert) with a "MEM OK" button for such situations where the RAM is not being properly configured per the QVL. I run 16Gb / 2400Mhz - 2x8 - DDR3 - dual channel,  that is 1200Mhz a piece using X.M.P. These must occupy the correct slots on the board.

It is important to read the manual to determine which DRAM slot/s to use for single and dual channel, Maximum memory frequency is also dependant on the CPU.

You have a "MEM OK" button just above the "Q LED Indicators" LED's, which serves as a means of enabling/testing/configuring RAM modules where they may not be recognised for initialisation /automatic configuration by the boards QVL list. Pressing this button at a certain time during post runs a diagnostic where the module/s will be configured for use. Also when your RAM has been configured for use you will then be able to select an X.M.P  (Extreme Memory Profile) in bios.

TUF Z270 MARK 2:

General design Overview: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/overview/

Specification https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/specifications/

User Manual, bios & quick start guide - Download/s: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/HelpDesk_Manual/ you've most likely still got a hard copy of the user guide, bios and quickstart guide in the packaging box or literature bundle supplied by your system builder.