Sign in to follow this  
Chassin

How to Remove Left Over P3D V4.2 Pro Registry Entries.

I have removed P3D from my older computer in favour of FSX SE.

This has left literally hundreds of scenery registry entries behind as follows:

P:\PREPAR3D\Scenery .... etc.

p:\PREPAR3D\Scenery .... etc.

I would like to remove them ASAP but I can't find either P:\ or p:\

Is there a way to remove all of these entries using the REG command from an Administrator's command window?

If so can anyone contribute the correct syntax relating to these REG_SZ keys?

Or a batch file?

Many thanks,

Ian Chattan

Go to C:\Documents\Prepar3Dv4 Add-ons and delete the folder.  When you uninstall P3D, it does not remove everything.  Make sure the hidden folders have been removed too.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

16 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Go to C:\Documents\Prepar3Dv4 Add-ons and delete the folder.  When you uninstall P3D, it does not remove everything.  Make sure the hidden folders have been removed too.

Hello Jim,

I have unhidden all folders and am 100% certain that all mention of P3D v4.2 Pro installationfolders have been removed.

It is just the hundreds of registry entries relating to scenery which are left behind that I need assistance with.

Lockheed Martin are most unforthcoming suggesting that I format the drive.

No thanks!

With new SSD drives and new video card the OEM factory reset recovery system is no longer in existance so I use Terabyte Unlimited drive images which have never failed in eight years of use.

Problem being that these registry entries are still contained in these drive images.

Maybe you have a better, if more technical, solution?

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium

Ian

OS = Windows 7 Home Premium

31 minutes ago, Chassin said:

It is just the hundreds of registry entries relating to scenery which are left behind that I need assistance with.

P3D uninstall program does not uninstall your add-on scenery.  You will have to go into Add/Remove and uninstall each, one at a time.  The fact that add-on scenery is installed will not affect P3D reinstall if that is what you are trying to do.  You and no one else should touch the registry.  That's what uninstall programs are all about.  If you uninstalled P3DV4.3 and all of the hidden folders, all is complete.  You can do what many others do and that's to download and install a program called CCleaner and clean your registry of entries that no longer apply.  I use Advanced System Care Pro and run the registry cleaner and it does a good job cleaning.  

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello Jim,

I have CCleaner and also use Ashampoo GmbH Win Optimiser 15 but neither can find these P:\PREPAR3D\Scenery registry keys.

I have downloaded Advanced System Care Free based on your recommendation in the hope that it may be able to be programmed to find these particular keys specifically.

I.E. DELETE ALL INSTANCES OF>P:\PREPAR3D V4\ and p:\PREPAR3D V4\

I started put using rather basic shipboard computers at age 20 some 50 years ago and Windows from v3.1 for Workgroups.

I have never come across a situation where the registry entries are given a P:\ designation in all that time.

I'll let you know how I get on.

My thanks,

Ian

Hello again Jim,

Problem OVER!

I found a very useful program - Registry Finder 2.31

I just had to go to the correct location:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components

Then click on Find [Magnifying glass icon] and type: P:\PREPAR3D and p:\PREPAR3D on a second run.

Click on FIND at the bottom of the Window to find all 30,000 plus registry keys. \Ö/ [The Scream.]

Click 'Select All' and Delete....

This had to be done in Safe Mode to avoid an 'Access Denied" message.

I'll let Elaine know at Lockheed Martin.

Maybe it'll be worth a free up-to-date P3D v4.3

Thanks for your patience.

Ian

Hello Jim,

The total number of Prepar3D v4.2 registry keys removed was 29,172. There was no additional scenery involved just the basic v4.2 installation.

As a result my Windows 7 computer is now running like new after compressing the registry some 11%.

Surprisingly fast. But then I have installed two 250GB Samsung EVO SSDs to replace the 2 old 2TB 5,200 rev/min Seagate HDDs and upgraded the AMD 2GB video card to a Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB which is all that the motherboard will handle.

I have installed MS FSW Gold Edition but cannot install the Acceleration update as Microsoft has withdrawn the on-line activation process.

I will just have to be content with installing some add-on aircraft.

I found an F-18 Super Hornet Blue Angel for use with AICarriers2 so it should make it a worthwhile simulator for a novice.

Rikoooo produce a superb Bombardier free add-on.

Search for 'Orion Special Operations' if you are interested.

40 aircraft in different liveries. I choose the manual install as there appears to be a problem with Rikoooo's installer.

AICarriers2 is also a .NET 4.7 manual install and runs perfectly.

I hope that you enjoy your Christmas.

Ian Chassin

6 hours ago, Chassin said:

The total number of Prepar3D v4.2 registry keys removed was 29,172. There was no additional scenery involved just the basic v4.2 installation. 

As a result my Windows 7 computer is now running like new after compressing the registry some 11%.

Thanks for the update Ian.  I think you beat me with the number of registry keys removed.  It was near that total when I first used Advanced System Care years ago (not sure if that is the program you used).  I try to keep my system clean and it has helped me avoid many CTD's.  Just stay away from Anti-MalwareBytes as they hate Advance System Care as it is a competitor.  Windows Defender is scheduled to try to destroy this software in the future too.  Microsoft does not like the competition.

6 hours ago, Chassin said:

I have installed MS FSW Gold Edition but cannot install the Acceleration update as Microsoft has withdrawn the on-line activation process.

This is, of course, incorrect.  If you are getting error messages, there is a fix.  I just recently installed FSX and Acceleration.  I had some issues with the installation but did some googling and binging and found some solutions right here on AVSIM.  Look for something like "PartsMgr" and perhaps MicrosoftKB928080 where you can reset the license.  As a last resort, you can purchase FSX-SE which includes Acceleration.  You can play the game on-line or off-line.

Submit News to AVSIM

On 11/21/2018 at 4:42 PM, Jim Young said:

Thanks for the update Ian.

No problem

On 11/21/2018 at 4:42 PM, Jim Young said:

This is, of course, incorrect.  If you are getting error messages, there is a fix.  I just recently installed FSX and Acceleration.  I had some issues with the installation but did some googling and binging and found some solutions right here on AVSIM.  Look for something like "PartsMgr" and perhaps MicrosoftKB928080 where you can reset the license.

Incorrect? I am assured that Microsoft has closed down the telephone activation service for FSX.

It depends on which country you bought FSX Acceleration in.

After installing the Acceleration pack a telephone activation window is supposed to appear with eight groups where you enter six numbers given over the telephone line by an automated process.

Problem is that MS ran out of numbers so now they want you to fill in nine boxes of six numbers.

I know about the - PartMgr - registry entry and I added it to my registry favourites on the first install of FSX some years ago.

Problem being that my drive imaging program shares the same registry entry. Just delete and replace after activation.

I tried MSKB928080 to reset the licensing but that didn't make any difference.

So I telephoned an old friend in Atlanta Virginia, Interarms, who has close contacts with the State Department.

He had a word with his contact at MS and I got an email with a second standard FSX activation code by return.

Nice guy.

I have SteamFSX on my other high performance, Windows 10, computer. Much better than MS FSX as it has been extensively optimized.

BTW Be very careful with Advanced System Care Pro as the download was badly infected................................

ESET AV Scanner is a handy backup for my regular AV.

Have a nice Yuletide celebration...

3 hours ago, Chassin said:

BTW Be very careful with Advanced System Care Pro as the download was badly infected

I do not believe in anti-virus programs so have never had a problem with Advanced System Pro except that I installed Anti-Malwarebytes and it quarantined several files so uninstalled Anti-Malwarebytes.  I do not like programs that are not capable of identifying a threat, a real threat.  They throw up trojan this and trojan that and they are not trojans.  The reviews on it are not very good but I use it solely as a registry cleaner.  It has a lot of other components, including an anti-virus program (which I never purchased or used), and those elements are not as good as other programs. 

The activation system for FSX still works.  I have recently installed it and it takes my license with no problems.  If I cannot activate FSX for some reason, it will not allow you to install Acceleration.  The license agreement allows unlimited installation on the same system.  It is when you change hardware that you use another activation but, if you use FSX on the same computer with that activation, you can activate it unlimited times.  So only when you change hardware are you in jeopardy of running out of activations.  If you run out of activations (as you evidently did), you can call Microsoft but that telephone procedure has never worked for me.  I have to talk to a human.  I have two copies of FSX/Acceleration and the first copy could never be reactivated as I simply used up all of the activations and the telephone and human intervention at Microsoft failed so bought another copy.  This one has lasted almost 10 years now and I have rebuilt my computer about 3 times since then.  I have had to reinstall Windows and FSX several times but no problems as it is on the same computer.

Glad you were able to get activation codes.  I am sure if one speaks to a human who is knowledgeable of activations, you can get any copy that has run out of activations reactivated.  It is a pain and whenever I cannot install and activate this copy of FSX/Acceleration, I will no longer use FSX/Acceleration and just use P3D.  I only have FSX installed to help others who might be having issues with it and to update the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide.

Submit News to AVSIM