Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Fried My System:-(((

It seems I've managed to 'FRY' a large percentage of my system!!!

After a complete strip down and full clean, it was time to reassemble and power up the system. There was a brief message on the screen (I think it was during, or just after POST), stating there had been "an unexpected power surge".  I've never seen a message like that before.  The PC then promptly shut down.  I thought all was well for a while, as it fired up again, allowed me to change a couple of BIOS settings, and even POSTed.

HOWEVER... After 2 days and a night of attempting to install Windows, it seems all is not well:-(

It will often make it almost all the way through the Windows installation, but ALWAYS hangs at some point, with many and various error messages:-(

I suspect the PSU probably failed, taking part(s) of my motherboard along with it. Disappointing if it did, as it's a quality Corsair unit, and only about 3 years old!

Most BSD error messages are 'DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG' which I originally thought to be 'driver' issues. I'm since informed they can also relate to hardware errors.  Anyone have experience of this?

I've tried all the usual 'get arounds' (mostly from YouTube Videos) for startup errors and continuous loops, but no matter how I go about it, I simply cannot get Windows to install & launch:-(

Going to be an enforced simming break as all my dosh has just had to go the bl00dy car:-(  Ho hum merry christmas (bah bleedin humbug i say)

NOT A HAPPY BUNNY TODAY:-(((

I would run checkdisk and see if there are issues with your hard-drive. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

That PNP Error flag is,AFAIK,related to Plug-'n-Play. So, Phil,have you just tried, say a PS/2 keyboard till Windows OS is fully installed or no more errors flag? Just a suggestion.

2 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

I would run checkdisk and see if there are issues with your hard-drive. 

Yes thanks Jude. Someone else said exactly the same, so that was done very early on, and in a very 'Heath Robinson' manor lol.  Some disks from within my other old PC:-)

1 minute ago, vc10man said:

That PNP Error flag is,AFAIK,related to Plug-'n-Play. So, Phil,have you just tried, say a PS/2 keyboard till Windows OS is fully installed or no more errors flag? Just a suggestion.

Now that's interesting Rick. I certainly haven't tried that. No PS/2 on the mobo. Never been an issue b4, but then MS have changed W10 ENORMOUSLY!

Just tested the PSU in an old PC and it wont even fire it up. The LEDs on the board light up, but not much else.  On returning the old PSU to the test bench, it still works, so I didn't fry that one too lol

Will now try my mobo with the known working PSU.....

Edited by Dougal

Bah humbug, poo & fiddlesticks!  I'm sure you all know what that REALLY says BETWEEN the words:-)

My neighbour very kindly just tested my dearly loved (but now dearly departed) motherboard with his rig and CPU.  Alas, its going to meet its electronic maker in the great above:-(  He's also going to test my CPU in his machine.

Handy having friendly neighbours. Neighbours? Neighbors? This PC doesn't like either lol

I blame Corsair for frying it!

Well..... Couldn't possibly be my fault now could it?????

Edited by Dougal

Really sorry to hear that Phil. 

I've had it the other way around too. Motherboard killing a PSU... twice. 

Edited by martin-w

Am really astonished at that, Phil. Really a bummer.Thought Corsair was a rock-solid as Gibraltar?

Learn something new everyday.

1 minute ago, vc10man said:

Am really astonished at that, Phil. Really a bummer.Thought Corsair was a rock-solid as Gibraltar?

Learn something new everyday.

I've had a few Corsair PSU's fail. But they do have long warranties. So if still valid Phil should RMA it.

Hopefully you can get some black-friday deals on your board.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

27 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I've had a few Corsair PSU's fail. But they do have long warranties. So if still valid Phil should RMA it.

I've had an HX550, 650, CX550 in the past and they have run rock-solid, touch wood. But now use Antec and Be! Quiet PSUs.