Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Samsung Odyssey+ Preliminary Review MRTV

Here: I hope someone finds this useful.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I got mine

I am glad I waited. All I need to do now is clean up my system and and install windows 10 Pro😁

Edited by Guest

On 11/20/2018 at 5:56 PM, Avidean said:

I got mine

I am glad I waited. All I need to do now is clean up my system and and install windows 10 Pro😁

Seems mine was shipped yesterday and will arrive tomorrow.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 11/22/2018 at 6:32 AM, HiFlyer said:

Seems mine was shipped yesterday and will arrive tomorrow.

And what is the verdict? I am on the edge on whether or not I should get it. I Use the Rift with P3D and run at SS 1.5. It is hard to tell how much of an upgrade it would be and what the performance would be like.

The difference varies by title, and it can be subtle. There are also ones settings to consider, as combinations of various SS and AA parameters can yield results ranging from blurry to pleasing.

I would say overall there is a notable improvement, and I'm not at all sorry for having pulled the trigger. My Rifts days are almost certainly numbered, but I will hold onto it for a bit while I continue experimenting with the odyssey.

The two faults I notice so far is sucky WMR controllers that cause me to use other methods, and the fact that the headset is fairly uncomfortable in a way that can cause you to limit your playtime unless you get it positioned just right.

The way it rests in your forehead looks cool and hi-tech from an engineering perspective, but comfort-wise....... Bleah.

Pluses are that when its clear, its can be borderline breathtaking, because the feeling is not of looking at pixels, but more like an oil painting. Here is a first impressions thread that might explain it better. https://forums.mudspike.com/t/our-samsung-odyssey-first-impressions-tips-and-tricks/7191/17

There is also the fact that it pretty seamlessly allows one to use both Oculus and Steam titles in a smooth way that simply works.

Oh, and you can definitely watch movies on it.

Devons rig