Sign in to follow this  
wrap23

777 Airway Intercept?

I am attempting to do an airway Intercept as described in the PMDG 777 Flight Crew Operations Manual pages 11.42.13 - 11.42.15. I have set up the scenario so I’m at 15,000’ just north of BANDR proceeding direct to EPH exactly like the example in the manual. When I display the RTE page 2/2 it looks identical to the manual. When I attempt to enter V2 in LSK 1L as described I get an “invalid entry” in the scratch pad and can proceed no further with the exercise. I am flying with autopilot and LNAV and VNAV engaged. I can’t see any reason this won’t work.

Has anyone had similar experience? Can anyone shed some light on why this isn’t working?

Thanks,

Don Spence

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

Hey just spit balling here... the manual was written when??? and the current/ updated  navigation cycle the FMC uses sometimes changes navaids names, locations... so to get the PMDG example to work I would at least get the old/same navigation cycle the navaids refer to in the example you trying to replicate and experience. When was PMDG  777 released, manual written, probably in that time frame

hope this helps

steve

Edited by sluihn

definitely. This part of the FCOM is from June 2011 and only contains an example on how it works. And there is no guarantee that Boeing used actual data at thet time either. 

You can intercept any airway by this method. Make sure the route contains no Direct to but follows an airway, check the heading from point A to point B on the LEGS page, make the next waypoint the active one and enter the heading from before into the intercept heading boxes. you'll loose all fixes before that point but have a long magenta line with that heading. Fly towards that line in HDG mode and arm LNAV.

Thanks for responding. I use navigraph and fsaerodata all updated. The Navigraph charts exactly match the real charts which match the manual. I don't think this is the issue. My actual, current 777 flight manual uses the same example. This works in the real sim and in the aircraft. My purpose for attempting this exact setup was to demonstrate for my son, an aspiring pilot, how this worked. It should have worked. I moved the scenario to the NE United States which is littered with Victor Routes and it doesn't work.

I'd appreciate it if you might try an airway intercept and see how it goes. I believe it's a PMDG "sim-ism." If I'm wrong I'd love to hear how you make it work with the PMDG 777 vs the Boeing 777.

Thanks

Don Spence

ASUS Prime Z390-A, i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz, EVGA 1080 Ti SC2, Corsair H100i RGB Platinum cooler, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2TB, 2 x Intel 730 480GB SSD, CORSAIR RMX White RM850X  PSU, CORSAIR Crystal Series 680X RGB Case, Dell U3818DW

On 11/22/2018 at 4:04 AM, wrap23 said:

Thanks for responding. I use navigraph and fsaerodata all updated. The Navigraph charts exactly match the real charts which match the manual. I don't think this is the issue. My actual, current 777 flight manual uses the same example. This works in the real sim and in the aircraft. My purpose for attempting this exact setup was to demonstrate for my son, an aspiring pilot, how this worked. It should have worked. I moved the scenario to the NE United States which is littered with Victor Routes and it doesn't work.

I'd appreciate it if you might try an airway intercept and see how it goes. I believe it's a PMDG "sim-ism." If I'm wrong I'd love to hear how you make it work with the PMDG 777 vs the Boeing 777.

Thanks

Hi,

Did you find answer for your question? Actually, I also have same question about this issue. PMDG doesn't support airway intercept function?