Sign in to follow this  
IanHarrison

Windows update

Yesterday Nov.20. my P3D v4 was working fine.

This morning Nov 21, I find that Windows has updated overnight and now my P3D will not start at all.

Anyone any ideas on what Microsoft have changed or what has happened?

Ian Harrison

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I came here searching for inspiration for a solution to my p3dv4 crashes that started happening overnight. I think I found it in your post. Windows update probably changed something that made p3d v4 unstable. I haven't installed or changed any configuration on my pc to warrant these crashes all of a sudden. 

However, I do not have any problems starting p3d - the problem shows itself only after a couple of hours when the sim quits on me. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Would be great if anyone has some insight, same happend to me. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

18 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

And when you say the same happened to you, do you mean you can't start the sim, or that it crashes after a while?

Crashed three times since. Froze when i started to watch a movie in default windows player, and just quit with no error mid flight twice. Also there were sessions where there was no problem. Go figure!

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

You could delete the Prepar3d cfg file and let it rebuild a new one if worst comes to worst. I've been running Windows 10 version 1809 since it's initial release in October with a subsequent updates and P3D and Xplane run fine. I'm on an i5 6600K, 16GB DDR4,  GTX 1080.

I've found that some Windows updates have a nasty habit of altering USB settings.

Try checking in Device Manager\USB Controllers\Properties (of each controller)\Power Management.

You may find that the power to turn off option is ticked.  Untick any that you find. 

Regards

Frank Jones

I have no problems with that new Win10 version. I installed it last week nothing better, nothing worse with P3Dv4.3. As usual, every machine reacts different.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

29 minutes ago, Jonahbird said:

I've found that some Windows updates have a nasty habit of altering USB settings.

Try checking in Device Manager\USB Controllers\Properties (of each controller)\Power Management.

You may find that the power to turn off option is ticked.  Untick any that you find. 

Checked, and nothing had changed.

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I have not had a problem since the update, could be an addon you run with P3D has the problem with the update try turning them off.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Resolved.

Still don't know what happened but the "good ol' delete generated files" did the trick and now we are back with a starting P3D.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

That will explain why my USB hub just stopped working with four of the cables! Absolutely first class!!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

All if the issues I have with Windows updates revolve around nVidia drivers.  After I get through the issues I 'clean' install the latest version driver only.  

Regards
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I do not have any problems as I refuse to update Windows even though that is not a wise thing to do, it keeps me from endless headaches every time W10 needs updating and causing P3D issues. 

However - why cannot LM move forward and address the issues with windows updates as soon as the updates are released? P3D is the only program I have ever had an issue with, with Windows Updates on almost all updates. In my opinion, LM really ought to create a section of their team that primarily focuses on Windows updates and making P3D compatible with the latest updates, as well as that - create a program which can automatically update P3D without having to delete generated files and or un & re-install the Client. We are a month and a half away from 2019, an easier process is much needed!