Sign in to follow this  
IanHarrison

Windows update

14 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

as I refuse to update Windows

+++1, same here. Version 1607 and still running with no problems!

Edited by vc10man

Windows gives you the option to turn upgrades off or to get notifications.  There is an option to turn off additional software / driver updates with a general Win 10 update also.  Drivers will always be the big thing.  I need to be current but am watchful.

Cheers
bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

8 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Windows gives you the option to turn upgrades off or to get notifications.  There is an option to turn off additional software / driver updates with a general Win 10 update also.  Drivers will always be the big thing.  I need to be current but am watchful.

Cheers
bs

Hi, can you post some information on how to do this in Windows10, as I have been unable to figure this out. Turned off in Services simply gets turned on again after the next boot up.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Sure Howard - if you have a search / Cortana on you taskbar type updates.  On the Windows Update screen click the Advanced options.  These are the options you have for Windows Update.

Cheers

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

6 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Sure Howard - if you have a search / Cortana on you taskbar type updates.  On the Windows Update screen click the Advanced options.  These are the options you have for Windows Update.

Cheers

I can't remember how, but I did turn off automatic display driver updates. I'm still at 388.13, which work well for me.

However, I have the HOME version and I cannot 'refuse' the other Windows 10 updates as you can with the PRO version.

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

Cheers

You can disable device driver updates, but you can't disable updates in general under Windows 10.
You can also postpone updates.  But not disable them.

Has that now changed? 

Edited by Mace

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, flyblueskies said:

I can't remember how, but I did turn off automatic display driver updates. I'm still at 388.13, which work well for me.

However, I have the HOME version and I cannot 'refuse' the other Windows 10 updates as you can with the PRO version.

I have Win10 Pro.  If I can refuse updates I want to know how that is done :)  (!)  I only know of refusing device drive updates (mine is set to do that, so I don't get a magical nVidia x-mas present next time I boot my sim) -- or postponing /delaying updates. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Google Group Policy editor.

With Win Pro you can delay ALL updates for up to 365 days.

When a big update comes out, wait a few months until all is good with P3D etc., and then re enable updates and let it update. 

Then "re enable" the block on updates, for another 365 days, and so on.

Take back control !

Edited by Gabe777
  • Upvote 1