Sign in to follow this  
Orinks

How to reload RCD files with P3D

Hi all,

I just came upon a situation that I don't know if there's a way around.

I use P3D. I did the necessary things to make RC4 work with it, however there's one problem--RC4 looks for a flightplan name.flt file when attempting to load an RCD file.

Is it a case of simply renaming the FXML that P3D creates to FLT and I should be good? The WX file is there...

Thanks.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Title changed to help users

You would only load an RCD file if you saved a flight when enroute or the PC crashed.

Is thatbwhat your’re trying to achieve?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Look in your main P3D folder. Are there any RCD files there?

Do you have a registered version of FSUIPC which includes a save flight option every x minutes? From memory it may also include Radar Contact RCD files but it's been a long time since I used that facility and under FSX, not P3D.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Orinks,
Fsuipc's Autosave doesn't help. It creates .fxml files Rc4 cannot use. Renaming doesn't help.
You have to drop the .fxml file into the Flight plan converter, FxmlToFLT you can find at https://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/
It creates a .flt file Rc4 can read. Install it where you save your flightplans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Thank you @agutz. It should be noted that RC is now 12 years old and the xml file type did not exist back then. Hence the need for conversion.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

HI, RCv4 cant read P3D flightplan files that are .pln format.  Please can someone help me to understand how to convert them into .flt format so they can be read with RCv4? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

@MarioR

Hi Marior,

Just in case, did you give a path by pressing the".FLT.WX Path" button located in Radar Contact Options?

You must give it the path of the folder where your Flight Plans and your various flights are saved. Mine are there : C:\Users\******\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files

From there RC will create an .RCD file for each backup of the flight. Then you will follow the procedure described by Agutz.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545485-using-rcd-files-using-p3d/?do=findComment&comment=3930912

Richard

Edited by DrumsArt
  • Like 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

HI Richard, no, I clicked on the right F200/.pln button and could not see the flightplans. After a restart it worked but now I'm dealing with a missing MSSTDFMT.dll problem. 

Thank you for your help. Its appreciated.

Mario

Hi all,

I tried to install the Converter Tool fxml to flt from Pete Dowson because I want to use Radar contact in P3Dv5. When I run the exe file as an adminstrator nothing happens. My system is Win 10, 64 bit.

Are there other convert tools or can anybody help regarding installation?

Many thanks in advance.

Burkhard

@Burkhard Walter, from memory I think you have to open a DOS window and run the command there. Use the Run command in admin mode and type the command to generate a RCD file.

It’s not very user-friendly but is the only option.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just to correct the instruction in the readme for FxmlToFlt.exe.

The name of the fxml file to be converted to a pln format requires the command in this format...

FxmlToFlt.exe "name of file"

Quotation marks, not < and > as suggested.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Just to correct the instruction in the readme for FxmlToFlt.exe.

The name of the fxml file to be converted to a pln format requires the command in this format...

FxmlToFlt.exe "name of file"

Quotation marks, not < and > as suggested.

Unless I am misunderstanding what is being achieved here, it is so much easier to plan using Simbrief and export in any or multiple formats.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

3 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Unless I am misunderstanding what is being achieved here, it is so much easier to plan using Simbrief and export in any or multiple formats.

Ian, with respect, you are. If your computer crashes with RC4 running the only way to retrieve the situation and pick up from the last saved flight is to generate that flt file and together with the RCD launch RC4 and load the last RCD.

Nothing to do with flight planning.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Ian, with respect, you are. If your computer crashes with RC4 running the only way to retrieve the situation and pick up from the last saved flight is to generate that flt file and together with the RCD launch RC4 and load the last RCD.

Nothing to do with flight planning.

OK. Apologies. I was lazy and didn't read the whole thing.

I have never had to do that, as I just re-fly the whole flight.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.