Sign in to follow this  
kenpoh2u

pilolt2atc in VR

hi all ,if anyone using pilot2atc in vr ? because i fail to try the trial demo due to busy shedule a year ago so just wonder how it's work in vr before purchasing . how is the impact in fps ? can i interact the interface with a mouse in vr enviroment using move vr plugin ? can the software fully use in vr cockpit ?thanks in advance for more info from you..thanks!!

I wasn't able to interact in anyway with the P2atc pop-up windows in Vr, whether using the "MoveVr" plugin, or Oculus Dash on the Rift. The window looks fabulous using Dash, but you can't see the pop-ups, where the majority of the interaction is. 

So the answer to your question would be no, with regards to interaction, it's not vr compatible. Options like "Sayit" are not usable, without bouncing back and forth to the virtual desktop, or lifting your headset, neither of which interest me in anyway, but that's just me. 

Putting all that aside, it's still the best Atc option available, especially for Xplane users, can't speak for the other sims, haven't used them in years. 

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I use VR with P2A and I run P2A on another PC. I fly primarily PMDG 747-400 and during AC setup (FMC entries) and push back, I run in monitor mode. Once I initiate clearance delivery, and P2A is off and running, then I turn on VR and do pushback, taxi, takeoff, and climb to cruise.

During cruise, I switch back to monitor mode. Just prior to TOD, I put on the VR goggles and fly the descent, approach, landing, and taxi to gate or cargo area.

i also use a small program Voice Attack to supplement my HOTAS programmed buttons. Voice Attack will convert voice commands to key strokes. A very powerful tool. 

I use FSUIPC to transmit press to talk to P2A over the network. Sometimes I lift the VR goggles up a bit to sneak a peak. I know it is cheating, but it doesn’t destroy the overall immersion. The downside is you have to commit to memory all the necessary ATC lingo, or use a cheat sheet like I do if I forget.

I love VR, I primarily fly P3D V4.3 and DCS World

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

For X-Plane, there's a program on STEAM called OVRdrop that lets you bring P2A into your X-Plane VR world and all the windows work.

Like most things VR, it takes some time to get it set up right, but once you do, you can sit P2A on the Copilot's seat and use it with your VR headset on.  

FlyInside lets you bring it into the P3D or FSX world and as I recall, it too lets you interact with all the pop-up windows.  They have a free trial, so if you fly with P3D or FSX, it would be worth a try.

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

For X-Plane, there's a program on STEAM called OVRdrop that lets you bring P2A into your X-Plane VR world and all the windows work.

Like most things VR, it takes some time to get it set up right, but once you do, you can sit P2A on the Copilot's seat and use it with your VR headset on.  

FlyInside lets you bring it into the P3D or FSX world and as I recall, it too lets you interact with all the pop-up windows.  They have a free trial, so if you fly with P3D or FSX, it would be worth a try.

Dave

Think that's fine "if" your using the Steam version of X-Plane, with a Vive, and not a Oculus product. Isn't Ovrdrop meant to be used with SteamVr, which I don't use to run X-Plane. As soon as I select Vr in Xplane, Oculus now runs automatically, and there's no way to stop it, other than through hacks. 

I'll try it, but I doubt it'll work with a non Steam version of X-Plane, and a Oculus Rift? On second thought I don't think I'll try it, what I'm reading it doesn't work. 

Dash for Oculus, and the Move Vr plugin work in X-Plane, but you can't interact with pop up windows as already mentioned in my own thread here. Ovrdrop from what I'm reading works with Vive, and perhaps others. 

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

X-Plane native VR is SteamVR.  It is not the Steam version of X-Plane, just SteamVR as the interface to X-Plane.

Yes, there are many other setups that don't use SteamVR.  This is just what I was able to find that does what I was looking for.  I'm using it with the Windows Mixed Reality headset and it works great.

Dave

38 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

X-Plane native VR is SteamVR.  It is not the Steam version of X-Plane, just SteamVR as the interface to X-Plane.

Yes, there are many other setups that don't use SteamVR.  This is just what I was able to find that does what I was looking for.  I'm using it with the Windows Mixed Reality headset and it works great.

Dave

That's great, just wish there was some way to get the same with the Rift. Ovrdrop, Dash, and the Move Vr plugin in Xplane are not the answer. If the Op has a Rift, then he won't have full interaction in Vr.

We don't know what headset the poster has, but it needs to be made clear,  you can't interact with "a lot" of the P2Atc interface while "in Vr". Yes, as the other gentleman posted, there's workarounds, but there just that, workarounds. And for me, yes, it does detract from the immersion everytime I have to lift/remove the headset, or jump back to the virtual desktop, to do something that should be available within. Maybe this doesn't pertain to the Op, but they asked, and I answered with what I've found after hours of trying to get "something" to work, the way I think the Op wants it to work. 

They do specifically ask about the Move Vr plugin, and no, it doesn't work. You can't see the P2Atc pop up windows in your Vr headset. 

Perhaps in time, this won't be the case. 

Edited by Muskoka

Muskoka,

As to microphones, I have microphone attached to my network PC (PTA) and another separate microphone to my flight sim PC to communicate to Voice Attack. I didn't attempt to use the VR Headset mike as it was easier to do the way I chose.

As to the VR headphones, I receive all the engine, cockpit, and co-pilot sounds. I have an external speaker attached to my networked PC and turned up in high enough volume I can hear with the headset I wear. It works well. I'm lucky, as I have a dedicated room for my hobby that permits me a lot of privacy.......family is not disturbed.

Unfortunately, VR is still a niche product for simmiing, and has a lot of limitations, especially resolution and field of view (FOV).

It could be a number of years before, if ever, it becomes mainstream?

I'm a die hard fan of VR, so I put up with the warts and all.

Bill Clark

Edited by sbclark
spelling

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

I use P2A in VR inside native P3D with rift and headphones and MCE for voice commands. Framerate hit is not significant. The few times I need to interact with P2A during the flight, I look at the flatscreen through the rift peep hole and the immersion is not broken because your eyes are still inside the headset space.

Just finished a VR flight from KSBA to KSFO using MoveVR to bring P2A inside the cockpit. 

As stated above, the popup windows are not visible with MoveVR, so here's how I managed to use P2A without "cheating" too much.

1) Flight plan entered and verified before going into VR

2) Used Copilot to manage radios, but could just as easily done it myself within the aircraft

3) Started MoveVR (free plugin...wow) and brought P2A into the cockpit.

4) Took some learning to get P2A positioned and large enough to see.  Had to use highest quality resolution setting in MoveVR, and still it was blurry...but I could see the map and press the buttons easily.

5) Filed the flight plan and swapped frequencies to ClrDel and called for clearance.

6) Once I got taxi instructions, pressed the Taxi button and was able to follow the Taxi path

7) Could see progress on the map.  Did all AutoPilot and radio control in the cockpit, not on P2A due to popup windows not displaying in MoveVR

The only time I cheated was to look at the Approach plates and get the approach altitudes and check Info for ILS frequency and bearing.  This was because it was too blurry with MoveVR and the popups don't show.  Otherwise, the trip was phenomenal and under the hood the whole way.

For a free VR tool, it is worth the effort.  Even the paid ones aren't much more legible.  But, OVRDrop, for example, does bring the popup windows inside so you can set frequencies, use autopilot, etc. in P2A.

Welcome to the world of VR Dave!!!!

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Thanks Bill.

I've now flown with the Steam VRDrop program instead of MoveVR in both X-Plane and P3D.

All the popup windows work and the text is all visible.  P2A is totally usable inside the SteamVR cockpit.  And while VRDrop costs about $15 USD, SteamVR is free and works in both X-Plane 11 and P3Dv4.  

Of course when I look to the right I see P2A instead of my Copilot.

Dave

I use the Rift with PlaneCommand to handle the knobs and switches in the cockpit. I had some success bringing P2A into the cockpit with MoveVR. But that was back in 11.26.

Now I am using 11.30b5 and flying complex planes like the Socata TBM900. Today's flight was not a success. I had some serious stutters which I normally don't have. And the radio voices couldn't finish their speech without cutting out - so they had to start over again, but since they never finished - I finally closed P2A. Things immediately smoothed out. I had moved the flight plan to the Reality GTX750 and so the plane went on it's way with no complaints. I haven't noticed stutters caused by P2A before. I should mention that I have a new computer with everything is sophisticated as money can buy. I tried a second time later with the same result..

It may be a problem of the xplane beta. I dunno, but this has been the first time. It seemed to be related to the voices as well. When the radio was silent, it was much better.

I normally use P2A without needing to see it in the cockpit. MoveVR was OK, but really the only time I need to see P2A is during the taxi. So I peek! I can even minimize P2A and it continues to maintain radio contact just fine.

Sorry to report on a new problem. I wonder if other Rift users have something similar.......

Hello again, Good news - P2A has nothing to do with the above problem other than it uses speech recognition. I recently installed Voice Meeter Banana - I know, dumb name - which is a mixer that allows you to select various audio outputs while using Xplane. It is very useful if you leave VR for a while and want sound on the speakers instead of headphones. Well, generally the mixer works great with VR, but with P2A the input was set to 48000mhz which causes static in VMB. Today I changed the input to 44000mhz and the static was gone and so was the drop in fps. Now I am looking at 30 fps which I consider quite fine. Sorry to have raised the alarm.......

I have two microphone buttons - one for PlaneCommand, which is a marvel, and the other for P2A.

I'm back again. I got the mixer sorted out and thought that all was well. But today I loaded a flight and when I connected P2A, it started giving me the ATIS report as usual. The problem was that, after about 5 seconds, another voice starting giving me an ATIS report over the first one. Worse, they were different reports - one was Romeo and the other Yankee! There was a difference in wind speeds, etc. I use NOAA weather and it runs normally in Xplane. P2A was also set to use NOAA data. There may have been a difference in download time and perhaps P2A was getting data directly from NOAA instead of Xplane (which already had NOAA).

Anyway, is there a way to get just one weather source in ATIS? Two voices at the same time is awful.....