Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
tamsini

To anyone who is having P3D hang at startup

Recommended Posts

Hi all, not sure why this problem is becoming more and more common but I'm wondering if anyone has the problem of P3D hanging at the srtartup screen, and if so, perhaps try this:

1. Open task manager
2. Find prepar3d.exe in the list
3. Right-click and select "Go to details"
4. Right-click once again on prepar3d.exe and select "Set priority" = high

When I do this, P3D launches in seconds. I'm not sure if this problem is associated with Windows 10 disastrous updates but it would be nice if anyone will get the same results as I. I had used "delete generated files" but this caused problems with Orbx and other scenery and I found this (possible) solution seamless, quick and easy.

I was toying with doing a complete reinstall but will wait for the next P3D update which, I hope, occurs soon.

Edited by tamsini

Mario Di Lauro

Share this post


Link to post

I can't find the link but I do recall reading posts from some tech guru's that setting high priority for P3D is not a good idea. Sorry, don't recall why, just that it was a recommendation. BUT - if it works for you........

 

Vic


 

P3D#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 2080ti 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
P3D#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors
 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I can't find the link but I do recall reading posts from some tech guru's that setting high priority for P3D is not a good idea. Sorry, don't recall why, just that it was a recommendation. BUT - if it works for you........

 

Vic

Vic - that actually rings a bell, now that you mention it. But what the heck - if it gets me through to the next update, I'll continue using this method.


Mario Di Lauro

Share this post


Link to post

Hang up are almost 99.9% due to misconfigured third party addons.  Stick with P3Dv4 compatible addons (where the installer has p3dv4 option).  Your chances of hang up will drop.  Just my .02 cents  

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

Hang up are almost 99.9% due to misconfigured third party addons.  Stick with P3Dv4 compatible addons (where the installer has p3dv4 option).  Your chances of hang up will drop.  Just my .02 cents  

Are you including airport packages in that statement? I've just installed over 50 airports into P3D v4.3 and only a minority had a v4 installer option. Mostly it only offered v3 and v2 options but I just continued and then added entries to scenery.cfg myself. I even installed some FSX airports but the Aerosoft ones just wanted you to point to the location of your flight sim.

The only problems I've had with P3D crashes were when I had MyTraffic6 installed as an add-on. It would crash before the free flight menu. Removed it and P3D v4 is fine.

  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Are you including airport packages in that statement? I've just installed over 50 airports into P3D v4.3 and only a minority had a v4 installer option. Mostly it only offered v3 and v2 options but I just continued and then added entries to scenery.cfg myself. I even installed some FSX airports but the Aerosoft ones just wanted you to point to the location of your flight sim.

The only problems I've had with P3D crashes were when I had MyTraffic6 installed as an add-on. It would crash before the free flight menu. Removed it and P3D v4 is fine.

Yes, you know what you are doing, and it is excellent. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Are you including airport packages in that statement? I've just installed over 50 airports into P3D v4.3 and only a minority had a v4 installer option. Mostly it only offered v3 and v2 options but I just continued and then added entries to scenery.cfg myself. I even installed some FSX airports but the Aerosoft ones just wanted you to point to the location of your flight sim.

The only problems I've had with P3D crashes were when I had MyTraffic6 installed as an add-on. It would crash before the free flight menu. Removed it and P3D v4 is fine.

Hi Ray. You should read my post today re: Flightbeam's airports that caused havoc with my perfectly-running P3D today. I will not be going anywhere near their add-ons for a while.


Rick Almeida

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I can't find the link but I do recall reading posts from some tech guru's that setting high priority for P3D is not a good idea. Sorry, don't recall why, just that it was a recommendation. BUT - if it works for you........

 

Vic

I always have been running P3D with high priority (set via SimStarter) and never had an issue so far. Potentially, I observed this can fight blurries.

Of course, I can't exclude it would run even better without high on other systems. 🙂 

Kind regards, Michael


Prepar3d Professional v4+5, AeroflyFS2, XP11; Beta tester of SimStarter, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus Z170 / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 /  XTOP/Saitek hardware panel / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Flightbeam's airports that caused havoc with my perfectly-running P3D today. I will not be going anywhere near their add-ons for a while.

They work just fine in V4 though. 


i7-8700K, 16gb DDR4 3200,  GTX1080Ti, Win 10, P3d V5x

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Hi Ray. You should read my post today re: Flightbeam's airports that caused havoc with my perfectly-running P3D today. I will not be going anywhere near their add-ons for a while.

Rick, those were the first I installed and those plus the FSDT ones are fine. They have to be installed as addons, not as entries in scenery.cfg.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Rick, those were the first I installed and those plus the FSDT ones are fine. They have to be installed as addons, not as entries in scenery.cfg.

Precisely the way they were installed, and updated via the Flightbeam Manager. Not 100% certain the order they were installed though. The FSDT add-ons, no issues other than Addon Manager and Live Update kick-offs, but those too were resolved by me. Which is why, when I finally got around to kick Flightbeam's KIAD in, CTD at 90% loading because of that dreaded Microsoft dinosaur gremlin,  the infamous ntdll.dll !!

Edited by vc10man

Rick Almeida

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dave_YVR said:

They work just fine in V4 though. 

That may well be the case, in your instance, alas, not mine today.


Rick Almeida

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Precisely the way they were installed, and updated via the Flightbeam Manager. Not 100% certain the order they were installed though. The FSDT add-ons, no issues other than Addon Manager and Live Update kick-offs, but those too were resolved by me. Which is why, when I finally got around to kick Flightbeam's KIAD in, CTD at 90% loading because of that dreaded Microsoft dinosaur gremlin,  the infamous ntdll.dll !!

The install order is irrelevant. Uninstall KIAD and try it again. Are you using Lorby’s Addon Organiser to manage your airport entries?

I couldn’t find your other topic.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post

Setting OS priority of P3dV4 to high will not cause issues.  Setting to Realtime may but probably not as Windows is controlling CPU distributions.  Just keep in mind that there is no free lunch.  

Regards

Share this post


Link to post

In my experience 99% of the time P3D hangs when starting from the desktop without loading or getting stuck on scenery indexing is due to a scenery installation that corrupts the Scenery cfg file by modifying it and saving it with the wrong character encoding. This has happened a few times to me after purchasing and installing a scenery from Simmarket. Best way to know is always try to remember the latest file size of your scenery cfg file. After you install a scenery and P3D won't start and the scenery cfg file is all of a sudden half the file size that is your problem. Notepad++ can easily repair your scenery cfg by re-encoding it back into the correct UCS-2 LE BOM format. I believe there is a organizer tool from Lorby's that will scan for duplicate, incorrect or out of order scenery and addon entries in various areas.

Ideally the latest scenery for P3D from the best developers should be utilizing the addon.xml method or installed into the ecosystem folder but the reality is not all have done this. I have well over 1000 sceneries and the vast majority of them still are installed via the scenery cfg.

The other common cause can be a corrupted P3D cfg file, corrupt or incompatible .fx file in the effects folder or duplicate entries in the dll xml and exe xml files causing a conflict. Occasionally 3rd party software piracy protection can cause issues too if the software was installed without proper admin rights, with anti virus running or Windows defender erroneously flagging a core component.

Troubleshooting any or all of the above fixes it virtually everytime. And if not, worst case scenario you go to add/remove programs in Windows and right click on the P3D Client on the list and click repair. That will auto repair any missing files P3D needs to run properly.


qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    22%
    $5,550.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...