Sign in to follow this  
LRW

Another i9-9900k build

18 hours ago, martin-w said:

That's 10 degrees under very high load compared with other manufacturers Z390 boards. As long as the VRM is a decent margin away from max VRM temp it's not an issue. If you are a power user, competitive overclocker etc, that's pushing the rig to the absolute max it might be an issue, but for the vast majority not an issue in practice. I think most reviewers were more concerned about Asus being disingenuous and claiming it was 8 phase when it wasn't, rather than any issues for the average user. 

Hm, OK, so I shouldn't be concerned at all if my intention is to run i9-9900 at 5.2Ghz...?

Besides, reading about Aorus Master, I see there are various problems, mostly around BIOS quality, boot sequence and not recognizing M2/SSD. I've been Asus user since I can remember building my own rigs, which is about 20 years now, never had anything else.

4 hours ago, SimonC said:

Hm, OK, so I shouldn't be concerned at all if my intention is to run i9-9900 at 5.2Ghz...?

Besides, reading about Aorus Master, I see there are various problems, mostly around BIOS quality, boot sequence and not recognizing M2/SSD. I've been Asus user since I can remember building my own rigs, which is about 20 years now, never had anything else.

I'm not going to comment at all regarding whether you can reach 5.2 GHz, I presume on all cores. Whether you can do that is down to the silicon lottery and your cooling, ambient temp etc. The 9900K does run hot and 8 cores is a lot of cores to run at 5.2 for each. My only comments related to concerns regarding the VRM temp. 

Not unusual of course for an early BIOS to have issues, usually takes several updates before full stability is realised.

You might want to check out Rob's testing of his 9900K here...

Just built a 9900K machine on an Msi Z390 Ace motherboard. Moved my Noctua NH-D15 air cooler with a single fan from a 6700K. Overclocked to 5.1Ghz. HT off. -2 offset for AVX.  Volts 1.2ish and regulating as required.

Typical temperature on hottest core with Realbench is 80C. It would easily go to 5.2 Ghz but temps get a up to 85C typical.

Clean Win10 Pro install activated with my Win7 Ultimate key.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

30 minutes ago, DescendDescend said:

Typical temperature on hottest core with Realbench is 80C. It would easily go to 5.2 Ghz but temps get a up to 85C typical.

Just so you know, if you didn't already... RealBench runs Handbrake which runs AVX. So if you have an off-set of 2, then you are running at 4.9 GHz while running RealBench. Not 5.1. So your 80C equates to 4.9 GHz. Not sure if that will apply to the entire RealBench run or not, you would have to monitor. 

Edited by martin-w

P3d v4 runs AVX, also ....not that your gonna notice much of a difference with an offset ....well, except in terms of temps and voltages ....and current.  LOL. 

I run AVX with no offset.

Yup. I've just run 5.1 with no offset and it makes little difference to voltage or temperature with Realbench.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

The P3D v4 AVX will hit you a littler harder than Real Bench and AIDA64 .....it's kinda of sneaky.  So if you notice instability while above 2000' to 3000'  AGL and run no AVX offset ......you might be running a lil short on voltages.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

I'm not going to comment at all regarding whether you can reach 5.2 GHz, I presume on all cores. Whether you can do that is down to the silicon lottery and your cooling, ambient temp etc. The 9900K does run hot and 8 cores is a lot of cores to run at 5.2 for each. My only comments related to concerns regarding the VRM temp.

Thanks. I know about the chip quality and all that, also about the chip running hot. I know the thread too, I've been following it with great interest. And also like he does, I have custom watercooling, moreover I'm running a 9-fan radiator.

But the question does pertain to VRM - because if I need higher core voltage, the VRM will get hotter.

11 hours ago, SimonC said:

Aorus pro user here.  Was an Asus guy for years.  I almost didn't buy because of all the complaints about the BIOS.  It sounded like it was the end of the world.  All I have to say is people like to complain to much.  Yes it is not as easy to navigate as an Asus but definitely not a show stopper.  I think it took all of 2 minutes to become fairly comfortable with. 

Matt Wilson

4 hours ago, SimonC said:

But the question does pertain to VRM - because if I need higher core voltage, the VRM will get hotter.

I know it does, but...

As I said, VRM is about 10 degrees or so warmer at a reasonably high overclock, compared to other Z390 manufacturers boards.  Thats from the reviews I've seen.

You said "so I shouldnt be concerned if my intention is to run at 5.2 GHz?"  Well I dont have this CPU and haven't overclocked it, so have no first hand experience. So all I can tell you is how much warmer the VRM is said to be in degrees compared to rivals. 

You will have to peruse Robs thread and ask others re the VRM temp at 5.2.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I know it does, but...

As I said, VRM is about 10 degrees or so warmer at a reasonably high overclock, compared to other Z390 manufacturers boards.  Thats from the reviews I've seen.

You said "so I shouldnt be concerned if my intention is to run at 5.2 GHz?"  Well I dont have this CPU and haven't overclocked it, so have no first hand experience. So all I can tell you is how much warmer the VRM is said to be in degrees compared to rivals. 

You will have to peruse Robs thread and ask others re the VRM temp at 5.2.

I guess so. Thanks.

7 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

The P3D v4 AVX will hit you a littler harder than Real Bench and AIDA64 .....it's kinda of sneaky.

+1  An AVX Offset of 1 works a treat here.

Greg

P3D runs AVX???

Wasn't aware of that, shows how long it is since I did any simming. So all those who are using an AVX offset, aren't running at the overclock they think they are. Frequency is down in relation the the off-set they set.

Edit... Saw a thread where they say it's just when loading P3D. Is that true? If so off-set is okay. 

Edited by martin-w

49 minutes ago, martin-w said:

P3D runs AVX???

Wasn't aware of that, shows how long it is since I did any simming. So all those who are using an AVX offset, aren't running at the overclock they think they are. Frequency is down in relation the the off-set they set.

Edit... Saw a thread where they say it's just when loading P3D. Is that true? If so off-set is okay. 

If memory serves (which is always iffy) when I used AVX offset in my standard test flight around the patch at KLAX I would see the frequency drop intermittently.   Most of the time it was full speed.  So I don't use AVX offset for normal flying because I would only see brief spikes in my temps.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0