Sign in to follow this  
LRW

Another i9-9900k build

Thanks guys,

PS. My 9900k build was picked up from Microcenter last night. Already installed Win10, updates, the core P3D, ORBX. The OC fun will start later this evening 🙂  

27 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Thanks guys,

PS. My 9900k build was picked up from Microcenter last night. Already installed Win10, updates, the core P3D, ORBX. The OC fun will start later this evening 🙂  

Keep us posted. 🙂

I just copied over Larry’s UEFI setups as we both have similar hardware with an exception of RAM OC values, then  added AVX 3 and now seeing strange things while testing with AIDA64

1. The frequency stays @4.7 despite 5.0 settings in BIOS. I presume that this is because of AVX. 

2. The max voltage is 1.193 even though I set 1.350 in BIOS

3. The temps are good, the maximum values are 67c, the CORSAIR cooler is quite as hell.

Sort or curious what are my next steps as I’m not a professional overclocker 

PS. I turned off FPU in AIDA and the frequency quickly jumped to 4.997 - good! What is worrying me is low actual voltage - 1.119 at max. So far, the max tempts are 69-70 

will report later 

Edited by G-YMML1

Quick question for Larry - why Vcore is set to Auto instead of either Manual or Adaptive?

Thanks

Dmitriy

BSOD occurred after 90min with relatively low temperatures (<69C with HT=ON). I presume it's because low voltage which was set to AUTO in UEFI. I'm going to try Manual/Adaptive later this evening.

Also, in P3D, the frequency is jumping between 4700 and 5000 due to AVX set = 3. Do you think it's safe to have variable frequency with variable (AUTO) voltage OR I should get rid of AVX settings completely and set voltage MANUAL, if my new build is for P3D only and no other games or sophisticated software are planned to be run?

10 hours ago, G-YMML1 said:

Quick question for Larry - why Vcore is set to Auto instead of either Manual or Adaptive?

Thanks

Dmitriy

I used Manual when I was pushing the voltage up to see what the speed/heat was, but I don't want the voltage to remain at that level when idle.  The Auto setting allows the CPU to run with 0.630V at idle (800 Mhz) and, at 5.1 GHz, AI Suite shows an Adaptive OC Voltage of 1.315. I haven't been able to find an Adaptive setting of my own that drops below 1.15V at idle.  My last 15 minute run of RealBench on Auto showed Vcore @ 1.279V under load with LLC 6 and AVX 0.  My temps in P3D are mostly in the 50s and 60s, with some spikes in the 70s, so I'm not concerned about AVX.  I'm still on this journey, so I don't know where I'm going to end up.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

9 minutes ago, LRW said:

I used Manual when I was pushing the voltage up to see what the speed/heat was, but I don't want the voltage to remain at that level when idle.  The Auto setting allows the CPU to run with 0.630V at idle (800 Mhz) and, at 5.1 GHz, AI Suite shows an Adaptive OC Voltage of 1.315. I haven't been able to find an Adaptive setting of my own that drops below 1.15V at idle.  My last 15 minute run of RealBench on Auto showed Vcore @ 1.279V under load with LLC 6 and AVX 0.  My temps in P3D are mostly in the 50s and 60s, with some spikes in the 70s, so I'm not concerned about AVX.  I'm still on this journey, so I don't know where I'm going to end up.

Thanks for the clarification, it seems like each case is different. In my situation with voltage set to AUTO i had quite low figures (1.068 at average) with 5.0 frequency. It's way to low and I guess it was a reason for BSOD. 

Meanwhile, the temps were so sweeeeeet and low 🙂 

14 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Thanks for the clarification, it seems like each case is different. In my situation with voltage set to AUTO i had quite low figures (1.068 at average) with 5.0 frequency. It's way to low and I guess it was a reason for BSOD. 

Meanwhile, the temps were so sweeeeeet and low 🙂 

What cooler are you using?  Running Prime95 with my current settings would hit thermal throttling very quickly and individual threads would fail.  I'm considering doing my first custom loop to see how much I could lower temps from the AIO and possibly go to 5.2 or 5.3 GHz.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

3 minutes ago, LRW said:

What cooler are you using?  Running Prime95 with my current settings would hit thermal throttling very quickly and individual threads would fail.  I'm considering doing my first custom loop to see how much I could lower temps from the AIO and possibly go to 5.2 or 5.3 GHz.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/497814/hydro-h150i-pro-360mm-rgb-water-cooling-kit

56 minutes ago, LRW said:

Use adaptive voltage. Not Auto.

Follow a proper guide.

Edited by martin-w

20 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Use adaptive voltage. Not Auto.

Follow a proper guide.

I've watched that video a couple of times.  It was helpful, although his conclusion was for most people to use AI overclocking, which I tried early on to see what it would do.  I found that a run of Prime95 or even RealBench would lower the cooler score so much that AI would lower the multiplier to 47 or 48.  Running only P3D would raise it to 51.  For people who want to let AI overclocking do the work it's important to only run their normal day-to-day apps and not artificial loads, like benchmarks.

I just set the mode to Adaptive and entered the OC voltage manually.  When I booted into Windows the idle voltage showed 0.630V.  I don't know what I did before when it was 1.15V.  Maybe I'm confusing it with my tests in Offset mode.  My spreadsheet with all of my benchmark runs doesn't include minimums, only max and avg.  Oh well.  I'll stick with Adaptive.  I think today I'll try a long flight and stop tweaking for a bit.

Larry

I've watched that video a couple of times.  It was helpful, although his conclusion was for most people to use AI overclocking, which I tried early on to see what it would do.  I found that a run of Prime95 or even RealBench would lower the cooler score so much that AI would lower the multiplier to 47 or 48.  Running only P3D would raise it to 51.  For people who want to let AI overclocking do the work it's important to only run their normal day-to-day apps and not artificial loads, like benchmarks.

JJ is bound to encourage the use of Ai Overclock, as its an Asus feature they are trying to promote. I experimented with the previous version, Five Way Optimisation and found that as long as you wait a while for a few BIOS updates it worked very well. Ai Overclock wasn't why I posted the video, it was so you could follow the manual overclocking advice. I suspect Ai Overclock will function better when there's been a few more BIOS updates.

I just set the mode to Adaptive and entered the OC voltage manually.  When I booted into Windows the idle voltage showed 0.630V.  I don't know what I did before when it was 1.15V. 

That sounds more like it. What may have confused you previously is that Adaptive mode doesn't always kick in when you think it will. Often there will be a delay. It does vary. 

Edited by martin-w

Doing AIDA test now with manual voltage set to 1.290, CPUID shows 1.1217 for some reasons. The max tempts so far 78-79 with HT = ON

8 hours ago, G-YMML1 said:

Doing AIDA test now with manual voltage set to 1.290, CPUID shows 1.1217 for some reasons. The max tempts so far 78-79 with HT = ON

That's Vdroop. Why you have LLC. (Load Line Calibration). There's an explanation in the video I posted. 

You can increase LLC in an attempt to achieve the same voltage as yous set, or work with the droop, accept a small degree of droop. Either way, it's stability that counts. 

As Larry correctly mentioned, switching HT to OFF brought the temperatures down by 8-12C. That's why I opened that behemoth HT thread in the Main Area. I guess that for simming purposes I will stay with HT=off for some time and monitor how P3D behaves.