Sign in to follow this  
LRW

Another i9-9900k build

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

That's Vdroop. Why you have LLC. (Load Line Calibration). There's an explanation in the video I posted. 

You can increase LLC in an attempt to achieve the same voltage as yous set, or work with the droop, accept a small degree of droop. Either way, it's stability that counts. 

Martin, thanks again.

What is the rule of thumb in the OC? If I have BSOD with acceptable temps, I should increase a voltage. If I have BSOD with high temps I should either decrease a frequency OR/AND a voltage. Is that correct?

55 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Martin, thanks again.

What is the rule of thumb in the OC? If I have BSOD with acceptable temps, I should increase a voltage.

If your temps are okay then yes, you have the thermal headroom to increase the voltage and stabilise the overclock.

If I have BSOD with high temps I should either decrease a frequency OR/AND a voltage. Is that correct?

If you have high temps and instability, voltage needs to be lower to reduce heat, and a lower voltage obviously equates to stability at a lower frequency. 

Before starting any overclocking endeavour, my strategy is to first determine what I regard as an acceptable max temp under load in the applications I generally run (this is not necessarily the same as a stress test). I base that on an acceptable safe temperature to avoid premature degradation of the CPU, my ambient temp at the height of the summer and any increase in temperature I would anticipate as a result of radiators or heat sinks being clogged with dust. 

Once you have the temperature above in mind, stick to it and accept the overclock that the silicon lottery deals you. 

I'm considering doing my first custom loop to see how much I could lower temps from the AIO and possibly go to 5.2 or 5.3 GHz.

Why? A mere 200 MHz will give you 1.2 frames per second at 30 frames per second! Not worth the extra strain on the CPU or the effort, or the extreme cost of a custom loop.

However... if you are a competitive overclocker, or just curious as to what your CPU can do, or have an abundance of funds then fair enough.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Why? A mere 200 MHz will give you 1.2 frames per second at 30 frames per second! Not worth the extra strain on the CPU or the effort, or the extreme cost of a custom loop.

However... if you are a competitive overclocker, or just curious as to what your CPU can do, or have an abundance of funds then fair enough.

Interesting....

Perhaps I should test two different settings for P3D and see FPS difference. If it's truly 1.2 FPS, then perhaps I would stick with the former. This however, undermines the whole idea behind purchasing 9900k 😞

1) 4.8 OC with HT ON

2) 5.0 OC with HT OFF. 

The benefits of having HT OFF are quite clear - low temps. The detriments are still unknown, but some folks including myself have noticing slow terrain loads with HT off in P3D4.X and above. Perhaps LM slowly works on multicore and HT utilization from one update to another without providing more information to their customers.  

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I'm considering doing my first custom loop to see how much I could lower temps from the AIO and possibly go to 5.2 or 5.3 GHz.

Why? A mere 200 MHz will give you 1.2 frames per second at 30 frames per second! Not worth the extra strain on the CPU or the effort, or the extreme cost of a custom loop.

If I was on a budget I'd have gone with an 8086K.  This is more in the category of trying something new for the fun of it.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

1 hour ago, G-YMML1 said:

This however, undermines the whole idea behind purchasing 9900k 😞

What did you upgrade from? 

1 hour ago, G-YMML1 said:

Interesting....

Perhaps I should test two different settings for P3D and see FPS difference. If it's truly 1.2 FPS, then perhaps I would stick with the former. This however, undermines the whole idea behind purchasing 9900k 😞

1) 4.8 OC with HT ON

2) 5.0 OC with HT OFF. 

The benefits of having HT OFF are quite clear - low temps. The detriments are still unknown, but some folks including myself have noticing slow terrain loads with HT off in P3D4.X and above. Perhaps LM slowly works on multicore and HT utilization from one update to another without providing more information to their customers.  

Did you add the settings that Rob described in the v4.4 thread?  That made a big difference for me.

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000

ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=0

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

12 minutes ago, martin-w said:

What did you upgrade from? 

6700k @4.6OC, I had this system since December 2015. 3 years straight.

1 minute ago, LRW said:

Did you add the settings that Rob described in the v4.4 thread?  That made a big difference for me.

No i did not, but thanks for the hint.

34 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

No i did not, but thanks for the hint.

It didn't eliminate 100% of autogen popping and also some black textures when I look perpendicular to the direction of flight, but it is a significant improvement for me.

• Like 1

Larry

10 hours ago, LRW said:

Under what section do you place those entries?

Thanks

Wait, it's not 320000 but 32000.0000. 😉

Edited by David Roch

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

2 hours ago, David Roch said:

Wait, it's not 320000 but 32000.0000. 😉

Rob initially wrote 32000 and later corrected it to 320000.  I don't think the decimals matter.

Larry

On 11/29/2018 at 10:55 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

320000 is the value I've been using, sorry for any typo's.  But per LM's information, you can set this to 1000000, there is no limit.  I have no idea what the units of measure are for MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE ... here is Beau's (LM) exact words:

There's no cap on this value itself because it's intended as a limit. If you want textures requesting aggressively, you can set it something very high like 1000000. There are two other checks that must pass before textures are requested:
1) Object is within the far clip distance. This varies by altitude.
2) Object pixel size at a given distance passes min radius check. This we made configurable in 4.3 using RS_MIN_OBJECT_PIXEL_RADIUS. (default is 2.0px)

Cheers, Rob.

Larry