Sign in to follow this  
Kurby

Upgrading my Mini-ITX system

Hi,

I would like to upgrade my PC. I do not want a High-End-Computer, but I am planning to use Win10, P3Dv4 with ORBX Global Vector and FSLabs A320 with Airport Sceneries like UK2000.

This is my system:

Mini-ITX:           Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (minited due to space)
Motherboard:    GA-B85N
Graphic:           Zotac GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB
Processor:       Xeon E3-1230V3
RAM:               8 GB

And I do not want to spend more than 200-300€, maybe 400. ;)

Do you have any ideas what I should upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

What do you want to do with the sim? VFR, IFR, fly in heavy areas?

For me, and it’s just an opinion, the I5-8600K and the I3-8350K (maybe also I5-9600K and I3-9350K) have got a better value than the I7-8086K

Hi,

I only fly IFR with PMDG NGX/777 or in future I want to use the FSLabs A320.
The most of the time I fly airports like UK2000 Gatwick, FSDT Zurich and holiday destinations.

I was thinking about to upgrade my graphiccard to the GTX 970 or the processor? Your recommendations seems to be also a good idea.

Edited by Kurby

Unfortunately, I am not sure if you will get what you want with almost any hardware upgrade.  It does depend on where you want your sliders to be, but to give some personal experience...

I just upgraded.  Very happy with my upgrade, but FSL is hard on the systems.  I'm currently running:

Intel I7-8086k at 5.0 GHz (maybe some room to overclock further)

32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz CAS 15 RAM

Asus Maximus XI Hero

Zantac 2080 Ti

All SSD setup

This is a very new system and a major update for me.  I came from a 4790k at 4.4 GHz and a GTX 1070, and am seeing 10-15+ FPS increases.  My stress test is Gate 72 at FB KSFO v2 with ORBX NA, ORBX vector, REX TD, AS P3D v4 running. 

Currently I have all sliders 1 notch from absolute right, no DL, no animated autogen foilage, Vsync unlimited frame limiter on a 4k TV at 30Hz, AI traffic ~70% (WOAI and additional freeware).  I get the following with add-ons:

1. PMDG 737 NGX: 24-26 FPS

2. Majest Dash 8: locked at 30 FPS

3. Leonardo MaddogX: 26-27 FPS

4. FSL A319/320: 20-22 FPS

My stress test is not exactly what your looking at, but my experience has been that UK2000 airports are not easy on frames.  I suspect this may be a bit easier than my stress test, but not far off.  To run the FSL Airbus at add-on sceneries, I suspect you need more than what you have.  Most likely, the CPU is the most limiting, but graphics is also very limited. 

I hope this doesn't come off as crass, but the system I just built is many steps ahead of where your's is and still struggles with the FSL Scarebus.  I am not sure you can get a system that runs the FSL on a mini-ATX board.  Perhaps you can get the same overclocks, etc, but I am just not sure you can get what you're looking for in a short step from your current setup.  Hopefully I can be proven wrong, but P3D is a harsh reality on hardware.  I think you might be ok without the add-on airports.  But whether you're ready to make that sacrifice or not is up to you.  I personally am not sure I could stand the bland default airports. 

Edit:

41 minutes ago, Kurby said:

Hi,

I only fly IFR with PMDG NGX/777 or in future I want to use the FSLabs A320.
The most of the time I fly airports like UK2000 Gatwick, FSDT Zurich and holiday destinations.

I was thinking about to upgrade my graphiccard to the GTX 970 or the processor? Your recommendations seems to be also a good idea.

You may be right, but the advantage of the 8086K is the silicone lottery.  I overclocked mine with an entry level water cooler to 5.0 GHz without batting an eyelash.  I still have HT on and temps maxing at 65C in P3D, so probably have more room.  You may get similar results with the i3 and i5, but it will be more up to chance.  I'm suspecting I can hit 5.2 GHz without much effort on my 8086k.  Others have gotten similar results on the other chips, but others have not.

Edited by ESzczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

Oh wow, thank you for the excellent report!

My sliders are nor aboslute right. I love to fly with 30+ FPS and I am expect lower scenery quality. Currently I am quiet satsified with my PMDG NGX in EGSS with 25-30 FPS.

With the FSL I do not have FPS greater than 15. Maybe the software developer of FSL did not make a good job. But I would like to continue to fly with an A320 model. Maybe I should aerosoft give a chance before buying some new hardware.

For me the best upgrade for you (depends on which graphic card  yo have) will be:

I5-9600K

16 GB RAM G.SKILL

Z390P

a good aio